Missing man in Flamingo

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Missing man in Flamingo

Post by Rich Andrews »

Buddy of mine told me he woke up at the campsite hearing the scream of a lady whose husband went missing the night before.This has been kept hush hush? Maybe they need some good ole boys to find him

Everglades National Park (FL)
Intensive Week-Long Search Conducted For Missing Man

On the evening of Saturday, March 6th, park staff at Flamingo began a search for a 67-year-old man who had been reported missing by his family after going for a walk in the Flamingo campground area. Ground search teams, K-9 units, dive teams and aircraft were utilized in the search. They focused on the Flamingo campground and the Eco-Pond area. The search area was expanded after no clues or signs of the man were found in the primary search area. A week of intense ground and air searches followed, during which no further information on his location and no further clues were discovered. Aircraft, K-9 units and ground search teams were accordingly released last Friday. Operations continue at this time with specialized teams and local resources. The support of all divisions has been crucial in this search effort. The incident management team extends its thanks to all the park employees who helped with the search. In addition to Everglades staff, employees from Big Cypress NP assisted along with personnel with Miami Dade Fire Rescue, Miami Dade Police Department, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, Florida Department of Corrections, Monroe County Sheriff's Office, Miramar Police Department, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and Miami Dade Emergency Operations Center.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Missing man in Flamingo

Post by Ruagatr »

How stupid they didnt ask for our help who grew up there.

Maddog

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Just like that guy that got lost during huntin season ... common sense has left the building. I guarantee ya if I was to ever get really lost or hurt and couldn't get out on my own .. just look for the smoke signals .. i will be in the middle of the crecently cleared area wavin at ya ... I usually carry a flare pistol and a gallon jug on my boat .. so I can dump a gallon of gas out on the ground or water and use my last flare to set it off from a safe distance away .. don't wanna get burned ya know.

It always amazes me that they want so call PROFESSIONALS only all the while the subject of the search is dying while they get organized or play with their organs ...
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

OTTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OTTER »

Well Rich what was the outcome ????
Us in Broward never heard of this until now......

In another topic - does anyone know what went south at LOX on sunday afternoon....
Our chopper and Parkland fire rescue were hot onto something ????
Persons I know won't talk -----
No boat trailers were at the landing area ?????

robert4570
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by robert4570 »

I've gotten turned around several times while tracking a deer , its easy to get dissoriented when you're focused on the ground and covering a large area.
The best place to get lost is in the FAKA , even well seasoned folks pay close attention while in there. That said , if I ever get hopelessly lost and am able to start a fire.... I'll burn the woods down , all of it , critters included .

:florida:
Last edited by robert4570 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA BENEFACTOR

Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
http://www.warrifles.com/forums/index.php

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

I heard this dude was never found.. out at lox sometimes you need to watch for low flying planes dropping SQ groupers from the bahamas

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 »

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

that;s why 100% of my hiking is with a gun!

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 »

Salt water croc ?

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

Just curious, if a croc or gator gets somebody, isn't there usually bits and pieces of clothing or even body left in the immidiate area? I would surpose he could be grabbed and pulled into the deep leaving nothing behind, but would assume that would be very rare. Up here we had a uncle of a family friend that lived on the outskirts of a rural community. He went bear hunting one spring and disappeared. They scoured the area thourghly, eventually finding his 4 wheeler, but he never turned up. It was along a major river, but the wheeler was up away from the river, so not too likely he got in the river, but who knows. Gone several years now without a trace. Things happen. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Hey, how much does a compass cost...even a cheap used GPS on e-bay?
Well worth it, I bet.
Feel bad for the poor dude.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Kennyjoe
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Kennyjoe »

If I am ever get lost I told my wife to post on here for help finding me. Seen the park ranger crowds, most of them have never been 100 yards away from a microwave oven. lol...
DD supercharged 0-480 13 ft. Lazer 3 blade ngh

wtfjr
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by wtfjr »

A number of people have "disappeared " in the Park, however some seem to show up later after the insurance has been paid. As far as people knowing their way around , I have a friend who has worked there over 35 years , and I can tell you he knows his way around all the South end extremely well. If you think you know it that well come out with us sometime and lets see who comes back!!!!!!

Swampsaver
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swampsaver »

Several years ago a man went missing in Flamingo and was never found, even after a very extensive ground, air and water search. Foul play was not ruled out.

I could not find the exact location where this guy was lost at, the Everglades is a very large place.

Flamingo at the very south tip of the mainland in the park has very limited trails, but you can still get lost.

The Pine Island area has many more trails and hence more chance to get lost. The good part is that all trails eventualy lead to a road with a maximum walk of about 12 miles.

In both areas once you leave the trails moving cross country gets VERY difficult.

Attacked and eaten by an alligator or crock, possible but not likely. Heart attack, heat related problems or medical emergency, a good chance. Panther attack again not expected, but a very very slight chance.

How well does the park staff know the area? Some of the staff know it very well, research and fire crews should have a good handle on it. Some have walked, flowen airboated, driven the whole park multiple times including the remote areas.

It's a hard time for the family and one can only hope for the best.

SS.

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 »

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

Could have been a Panther attack they are covering up.

One thing is for sure,if I ever get lost in Big Cypress or any other place NPS runs, look for fire BIG fires,multiple fires..and come get me.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Fier works everytime LOL always carry matches ... the indians used smoke signals ...
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Swampsaver
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swampsaver »

Ok, Flamingo.

Not many Panthers if any, that far south. I have seen them down to nine mile pond. But being pine land and higher ground hunters for the most they usually stay out of that area. If there are panther questions Mr. Bass of the research division would know, he has been working with them for 25 years.

My guess is that he fell into the water from a walk at night or a medical issue, heart attack, stroke, etc and gators or crocs made quick work of the remains. Human remains do not last long from heat and other critters.

If he fell into the bay then an out going tide could have carried him out into the bay or he got hung up in the mangroves.

It's just plain nasty country for a search and in the end on the ground or boat grid search is the best way. It's very time intensive and darn hard work. Even a low and slow helicopter search can be ineffective if some thing or one is even partialy under cover or mostly submerged in the water.

How well was the search run? Well not being there I'm not going to comment.

I just hope some sort of closeure comes for the family.

SS

Return to “Airboat Talk”