Black Mud just how bad is it !!!!!!!!!

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
MacGyver
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Black Mud just how bad is it !!!!!!!!!

Post by MacGyver »

OK i have been told stay out of it :violent1: . I have ran through a 100ft stretches of it at WOT and it really slows me down.Haven't gotten stuck as of yet but i am not so sure about trying it from a dead stop. Any of you guys have enough boat "power" that the black stickey mud is not a issue :toothy7:

Hmmm lets see JAMES and sidejobs line up side by side and give it a go :cheers:
who would your money be on then :scratch:
MacGyver

Tater Nutz
2012 15 x 8 ALum GTO w2ft grassrake
383 stroker 463 HP with stinger 255 to 1 soft drive
Sensenich 3 Blade 80" R series

sidejobs
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Black Mud just how bad is it !!!!!!!!!

Post by sidejobs »

Let's do it ! Lol. Black mud ain't no joke. I've run through a lot of it. Stopping in it is not a smart thing to do.

MacGyver
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by MacGyver »

well would it be like at the tractor pulls ??? you only gonna get so far :violent1:
MacGyver

Tater Nutz

jb34974
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jb34974 »

u stop in the black mud better have a few boats to tug your arse out a there. its that suction that keeps ya bet if ya had a way to pump water under the hull to get er moving.
So shall it be as in the days of Noah and then the end.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

Black mud comes in all shapes and sizes,and thicknesses......some will let you slide like being on a bad baby diaper, other s will make you work for your money, and some will dam near stop you dead in your tracks...........you need to be able to recognize all of it. Can't go wrong with a slow approach on all of them..........

My experiences with it on hard bottoms is by far the worst. Out in lox you can run it to a point as long as it's wet. Best to get in the green stuff and let er eat.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

MacGyver
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by MacGyver »

i know years ago on the muck farm outside of ocala they lost a few large tractors in the muck. They got stuck and when they came back in the morning with a big bull dozer they done and sunk out of site.

I will have to try short stretches (real short stretches) at a standstill start with my sprayer on full blast and see what happens :dontknow:
MacGyver

Tater Nutz

rogerlucas
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rogerlucas »

the black mud that floats & has small roots in it is very bad,have plenty of bug spray. lots of it between right arm & crosscreek
~~~~~~~~ Blew Bayou~~~~~~~~

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by nomad41 »

Heres what it can do to you.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

Lakerunner
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Lakerunner »

I went a good while before it stopped me, but it finally did. I had to ask my fat survey buddy to get out so I could wiggle and get started again. I made a circle and he jumped in when I passed close to him.

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by aherr520 »

I found black floating mud in the glades for the first time and it almost stoped my boat the mud bunched up in front of the bow or plowing I guess,I held it wide open and turned the rudder right away,I try to avoid those spots from now on.I don't like pushing
aaof member

Lakerunner
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Lakerunner »

aherr520 wrote:I found black floating mud in the glades for the first time and it almost stoped my boat the mud bunched up in front of the bow or plowing I guess,I held it wide open and turned the rudder right away,I try to avoid those spots from now on.I don't like pushing

If you look close you can see the mud building up under the front of my boat in the picture below. This mud isn't floating...lol

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Black mud can be dangerous when your not paying attention. I have been thrown from the boat twice now and almost a third time at the lake Ruth test and tune. I hit that mud on the west end of bird tower and I felt my 7 year old son hit the back of my seat.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

im some dumb not plum dumb !!! ill run here and their if i gotta but im n ot looking to play in it :wink:
ive had mud trucks and atvs all my life i no first hand what mud is all about ...
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

airboat470
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat470 »

good luck getting one to run it. There isnt a boat out there that can handle starting and stopping on nasty mud. Now like you said you can go across it sometimes...but i promise you no boat will run the bad stuff....not even ole sidejobs 'es bad caddie.... :lol:
When in doubt floor it!
11'8 Step 0-470-11....

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Easy 470, I had a 12' freedom step boat with a fast burn small block, 2.3.8. Box and 8 blade warp that would whip your neck in black mud! I can say that black mud really don't effect step hulls!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

airboat470
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat470 »

fl cracker wrote:Easy 470, I had a 12' freedom step boat with a fast burn small block, 2.3.8. Box and 8 blade warp that would whip your neck in black mud! I can say that black mud really don't effect step hulls!
Well...i guess...what i meant was no normal ride boat/hunt boat will lol. But i guesst 400hp on a sheet of raised up fiberglass may do ok....lol. but really i have seen 1 race boat on a step hull that may run some lol. But he would tear the stringers out with a lot of it. 8)
When in doubt floor it!
11'8 Step 0-470-11....

ew520
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ew520 »

airboat470 wrote:
fl cracker wrote:Easy 470, I had a 12' freedom step boat with a fast burn small block, 2.3.8. Box and 8 blade warp that would whip your neck in black mud! I can say that black mud really don't effect step hulls!
Well...i guess...what i meant was no normal ride boat/hunt boat will lol. But i guesst 400hp on a sheet of raised up fiberglass may do ok....lol. but really i have seen 1 race boat on a step hull that may run some lol. But he would tear the stringers out with a lot of it. 8)
It doesent effect my little 11ft Thurman to much either but shes got some ponies with the gtsio520

SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

I know this much about black mud...If you see it and try to avoid it make your mind up real quick dont wait till the last minute and try to slide out away from it because chances are you may catch the end of it with the side of the hull and may end up flipping the boat. Just keep a good eye out for the stuff and if in doubt punch it and hang on ! :shock:
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

airboat470 wrote:good luck getting one to run it. There isnt a boat out there that can handle starting and stopping on nasty mud. Now like you said you can go across it sometimes...but i promise you no boat will run the bad stuff....not even ole sidejobs 'es bad caddie.... :lol:
:lol:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 »

there is a story about a guy doing a superman by the bird walk at harneypond during duck season a few years ago .....

Last edited by cflacowboy001 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airboat470
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat470 »

ew520 wrote:
airboat470 wrote:
It doesent effect my little 11ft Thurman to much either but shes got some ponies with the gtsio520
:scratch: sounds like yall needa come run with us one weekend. You will have a whole new outlook on black mud. Get in them dollar weeds and black mud...and stumps...and green grass....and vines...lol...nothing will run it...period.. :thumbleft:
When in doubt floor it!
11'8 Step 0-470-11....

danny
Southern Airboat Member

Post by danny »

super charges with gear boxes will run it hehe

sidejobs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sidejobs »

A step hull def has a better chance. It's a combo of suction and build up that gets ya. Eventually it will get them all !

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

The WALROSE boat will run in the nasty mud loaded, iv seen it.. i hit the same patch with my wardaddy at about 45mph an about got thrown out of the seat before i got stuck an the purple Walrose boat can stop load people off other stuck boats an run rite through it.. Course were talking 1000hp an more prop the 3 normal boats.. lol
Attachments
walrose.jpg
walrose.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

MacGyver
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by MacGyver »

WOW 1000hp :cheers: that is just plain bad azz for sure. lots of great info on black mud , thanks and the videos says it all.
MacGyver

Tater Nutz

Return to “Airboat Talk”