Airboat to Bimini Story

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Airboat to Bimini Story

Post by Duece » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Holy crap! Would've been nice to have been a bit better publicized.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:30 pm

That could have been an episode of a reality TV show!

Cutler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cutler » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:03 pm

He didn't do it for the notoriety, he did it because he wants to open an airboat ride service in bimini

Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Muddyduck » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 pm

The story is out there somewhere. Either in an old airboat world like somebody mentioned on the broward club site. If I remember correctly he and another fellow where trying to see who could do it first. Wayne made all the way over but had the airboat put on the big boat for the trip back home. Still a ton of nads to even try it.
Many could live on what we have wasted.

Capt.Legg
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Capt.Legg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:31 am

Cutler wrote:He didn't do it for the notoriety, he did it because he wants to open an airboat ride service in bimini
In a past life I was an Insurance Adjuster so I may be the only person on this site that actually took out my Insurance policy from Charter Lakes and read it when it came in the mail. The policy Charter wrote for me is through Travelers Insurance which is one of two companies they write through. My airboat policy wont cover me if I am over 1 mile from shore with the airboat and something happens. Sounds like he may have risked his life AND his business investment. He's got huge ones for sure.

BTW fellow airboaters, that one mile from shore applies to freshwater too so think about that the next time you decide to cross any big body of water.

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:45 am

How does that apply to Conservation Areas ?
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

Capt.Legg
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Capt.Legg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:32 am

Cherpa wrote:How does that apply to Conservation Areas ?
I don't think it would apply any differently. We don't have any conservation areas here in South Texas so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that but i know there's nothing in the policy that refers to a conservation area. Since shore isn't specifically defined by the policy you would look to common meaning of the word which is pretty much where the water meets dry land. If you have a perfectly round body of water that is two miles accross then if you are smack dab in the middle you are one mile from shore and might not be covered if you sank the boat there. Ten feet either side of smack dab in the middle and you would be within one mile and have coverage. If there's a one sq ft piece of island sticking up smack dab in the middle of this body of water then you could effectively argue that it has a shore and thus you could never be more than 1 mile from a shore on this body of water. Hope this helps. I don't think you would ever have an issue with this policy language unless you did something wreckless and sank your boat.......uhhhh...like try to drive it to Bimini.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Cool, I'm sure ole Wayne had his back..RIP

Wayne Cone, 62, 'glades Enthusiast
October 27, 2003|By Steve Waters Staff Writer
Wayne Cone grew up in a South Florida much different from the one we live in today. But he had the equivalent of a time machine: An airboat that allowed him to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and into the serenity of the Everglades.

Going to the woods, as he referred to his Lost Lake camp in the Everglades, was more than an escape for Mr. Cone, 62, who died Friday night after a long struggle with lung cancer. It was a chance for him to enjoy a South Florida that had changed little since he and his family moved here in the early 1950s.

"He loved the Everglades. He loved his camp. He spent as much time as he could out there," said Mr. Cone's sister, Elizabeth Butler Franchetto.

"That was his life, being out in the Everglades over the weekend, frogging and hunting," said his wife, Barbara Cone.

Willard Wayne Cone of Fort Lauderdale was born Dec. 12, 1940, in Nashville, Tenn. His father, the late Willard "Doc" Cone, was an avid fisherman and got Mr. Cone and his sisters into fishing at an early age. Soon after arriving in South Florida, Mr. Cone started spending most of his free time in the Everglades.

He and his father fished for bass in a wooden johnboat, using it to reach the middle of the marsh, then hopping out and wading with their fishing rods. As a teenager, Mr. Cone would take his shotgun and hitchhike to the Everglades, to an area that is now Weston, and hunt ducks and coots.

"We would take Wayne out to the 'Glades on Friday, after my dad got home from work, and just leave him, and he was just a kid," his sister said. "We'd come back on Sunday and pick him up. And he just loved it."

Mr. Cone's love of the outdoors led to a job with the old Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission from 1958-1965. He then worked in the welding business for a couple of companies before going into business for himself. Wayne's Custom Welding specialized in building and repairing airboats and making aluminum T-tops and tuna towers for fishing boats.

Mr. Cone used to drive his airboat in the annual Winterfest holiday parade in the Intracoastal Waterway and he made history in 1983 when he drove his airboat from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini, in the Bahamas, despite seas of 2-4 feet. Mr. Cone also raced cars in Hialeah and, for a time, in California. He also had a pilot's license.

A life member of the Broward County Airboat, Halftrack and Conservation Club, Mr. Cone's first love remained the Everglades. His sister recalled that when he first got his camp in the 'Glades, he called and asked her to outfit the camp.

"He was the only guy out there with a camp that had Ralph Lauren bedspreads, sheets and shams," Franchetto said.

Over the years, Mr. Cone spent less time hunting and fishing and more time just relaxing in the Everglades. His only neighbor at the camp was an alligator that Mr. Cone named Moe. He fed it fed chicken and marshmallows.

Mr. Cone also fought fiercely to protect the Everglades, taking on the South Florida Water Management District when water levels were too high or too low and threatened the health of the marsh and its fish and wildlife.

Mr. Cone is survived by his wife; daughters Tammy and Brittany Cone of Lafayette, Ga.; three grandchildren; and sisters Elizabeth Butler Franchetto and Patricia Ann Angel of Hendersonville, N.C.

A memorial service will be at 8 p.m. Tuesday at Fred Hunter funeral home, 2401 S. University Drive, Davie. Viewings will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home. Mr. Cone will be cremated and his ashes scattered over the Everglades. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that people make donations in Mr. Cone's name to Hospice Care of Southeast Florida.
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:04 pm

I remember seeing his boat out there all the time when I was a kid in the early 90's. All of us kids knew it as the boat "that went to the Bahamas" with the three rudders, unique paint work, aluminum cage, and air foil over the rudders. I seem to remember it having an aluminum prop...is that correct? Or was it a woody painted silver? Is the original boat still around somewhere? Nice to see this thread pooping back up and him remembered.

capt.sacco
Southern Airboat Member

Post by capt.sacco » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:54 pm

the boat is there. gonna bring two more over. fugetaboutit. Wanna ride come on over. cracked the fuel tank thats why we ran out of gas. It was done at night because the window to go over was closing due to the weather.
Last edited by capt.sacco on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Birddog247 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:09 pm

capt.sacco wrote:the boat is there. gonna bring two more over. f**kit. Wanna ride come on over.
Next time Iam over I'll look you up. Are you north or south Bimini.
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Rich Andrews wrote:that short lil jaunt you call from Port Everglades to Bimini has lots of -----things that come up---- anytime of the year.Seen flat calm go to a miserable 10ft in less then 10 miles. It's a crapshoot whenever you make that crossing.

Get a North Current,and a N Wind working against each other over the HILLS on the ocean floor and your in deep shiat!

If it went from dead calm to 10 feet in a couple of minutes, You need a better weather router. P.M. me and I will put you in contact with a great weather router.

Capt.Morgan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Capt.Morgan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:53 pm

im the guy who made the trip Morgan Ferrell me and my buddy Mike left black point at 1 am ran out of fuel 9 miles out got a tanker capt to call my buddy in bimini to bring out fuel made it to big game at 11 am under our own power against the advice of the coast guard and boat us. one hell of a run espescially with no other boats and at night

Capt.Morgan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Capt.Morgan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:58 pm

we tried to catch some dolphin while we waited for fuel but no luck that would have been a nice picture

Capt.Morgan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Capt.Morgan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:04 pm

boat was a 24 tour boat with a 496 sold my truck to buy it had a 30 gal tank and 2 20 gal jugs one cracked noticed a little less than half way had enough to get back to miami i knew we wouldnt make it all the way but i knew we could get close enough i was cool with that so was mike and we made it with a little help from some good people

Capt.Morgan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Capt.Morgan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 pm

ill do it again in somebody elses boat call me 242 473 0492

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:45 pm

I was just in Freeport last Tuesday and remember they had a sign for airboat tours. Didn't look to see where the tours were at but was wondering if it had anything to do with this post.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Tue May 26, 2015 12:58 pm

BCAHCC Member

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Airboat to Bimini Story

Post by Birddog247 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:39 pm

In the Glades wrote:Image
My cousin text me that same pic yesterday.
He seen him on the beach out front there having trouble starting it.
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Tue May 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Saw it on big chris facebook
BCAHCC Member

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Birddog247 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:45 pm

That's funny. Sent it to him last night.
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

Rad Ripper
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Rad Ripper » Tue May 26, 2015 9:43 pm

I saw it tied up at bimini bay two weeks ago.

OLD MAN JONES
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by OLD MAN JONES » Wed May 27, 2015 12:29 am

There is a picture of that exact same boat from 5-7 yrs ago in operation in the glades, at the Applebees on Sheridan and Dykes. It is a huge mural type pic in the N.W. wall
Capt. Morgan is a cool dude and has some awesome riding areas over their.
LIVING FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR EVERGLADES..
WWW.MACKSFISHCAMP.COM A traditional cultural Gladesman property.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:52 pm

West coast of Abaco (The Marls) and The Turks and Caicos, I've seen airboats on the flats.

Capt.Morgan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Capt.Morgan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:36 pm

I am thinking of selling the boat that made the crossing it is in good running shape so it would be good for someone who wants to use it and have the history as part of the boat or to a collector who is looking for a rare opportunity to buy the only airboat in existence that made the crossing i am asking 75,000 OBO please call me Morgan Ferrell at 242 4730492 or call Bobby Hartwell at 786 2959148 you can also email me at Captainmorgansflyingcircus@gmail.com

Return to “Airboat Talk”