Boy this rabbit hole is really deep!

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Boy this rabbit hole is really deep!

Post by rudee116 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:34 pm

We sure did...sorry Cuban! John, I'm sure I'll be needing some advice once I get started. I'll start a build thread when I get going.
14' Don Davis w/ Upstack 0-540

When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. — Benjamin Franklin

SwampNinja
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SwampNinja » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:34 pm

John Fenner wrote:We sent one to La. For oil rig work as well, the one Paul got from Richard was a true workhorse, they pulled cable and all sorts of stuff with it. We sure hijacked this thread eh? Lol!
I was just about to say that. Thread got hijacked. lol
John I heard you have to be invited in to be a member.
"It is what it is."

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Rudee & John hijack away this forum for everyone, LOL!

Well everyone what a PAIN IN THE AZZ it has been to get the nose cap installed. Its done, not perfect but done. Glad I have been going through all these learning pains because I will definitly be doing things differently for the next one. So here we go with some pics.

Placed the grass rake in place to have an idea of what it looks like. Nice to see its starting to take shape.

Another angle of the same. Now I got to install the cage and motor so I can go to the muffler shop and have my exhaust done before I finish decking this thing.
I took the RED PILL and am staying in wonderland to see how deep the rabbit hole goes!

And boy is it deep!

SwampNinja
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SwampNinja » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Nice work man.
"It is what it is."

Daniel Altman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Daniel Altman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Your build is looking good! I bet its going to ride like a caddy.
10' Thurman copy, O-320, WW Cypress, BRAB 51 & RRAA 15

"You can't tourniquet the taint!" Archer

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Nice! You can even float it in the back yard! :lol:

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Where in the hell did you think first run was going to be at! Rather see it sink to the bottom in my Above Ground High Performance Oval Testing Containment Unit. :lol:
I took the RED PILL and am staying in wonderland to see how deep the rabbit hole goes!

And boy is it deep!

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Daniel Altman wrote:Your build is looking good! I bet its going to ride like a caddy.
Or a Yugo! We'll see. :lol:

And boy is it deep!

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am

Well I got the exhaust done a month ago and was the final step to putting on my rear deck. Chose to go with a 2 in 2 out Magnaflow. Miami Mufflers gave me a fair price and did what I wanted. He did a real nice job, better than expected. Everything is on dampened hangers and looks real clean.

Yesterday was able to put the rear deck in with the help of a friend. Because of the learning curve I had to hide a couple of f-ups where the gas fill and pick up is at. Overall little dissappointed but I will live with it. Looks clean to me. All that is left is a pair of quarter panels on the sides which I will knock out this week coming and then I will be laying down the Steelflex on the bottom. Also will be closing the spacing between rivets on the deck from 3" to 1.5" around the perimeter of the deck. Painterchic were making progress. :lol:

Here is a close look of how I hid the f-up on the deck. Works for me. Definitly learned alot on this build and the order of things.

Last edited by cuban cracker on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And boy is it deep!

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Dang Rich, looks awesome.
Good recovery on the filler pipe.
Ft lauderdale is too far. Bring it to my house to finish it up.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Its back in town. Will be putting the quarter panels in Tuesday after I get some cuts done with Russ. Steel flex is going to be done with Cherpa possibly Donny will be there to have some beers while were playing with the steel flex. Will let you know.

And boy is it deep!

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Yesterday finished the deck completly. All that is left is to close the spacing between the rivets along the perimeter from 3" to 1.5" and close in the storage area. This will officially leave it ready for steelflex.

And boy is it deep!

SwampNinja
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SwampNinja » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm

Looking awesome bud. Cant wait to see that thing in the water Jack!
"It is what it is."

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 am

Final touches on storage area. I will be making a cover to go over this that will snap into place. Had to do some cutting for legs to place properly on deck. Part of the learning curve, knowing now what I know would of placed the mounts in different area. Anyways, clecos make life a lot easier and had no issue squaring everything up where it needs to be. Here is where I learned the importance of using a scribe over using a sharpie to mark my cuts.Scribe is way to go for more precise markings. JMO.

End result of finished storage area. Symmetry in check and everything square.

Hear is the end result from scribing. The cuts were all dead on and everything aligns perfectly. Would of been alot more difficult for it to come out like this cutting off of a sharpie mark. Very happy on how it came out. Cherpa we're ready for steel flex I'll bring the beer. :thumbleft:

And boy is it deep!

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Why didn't you 45 the corners ? Don't let Rick see that. AAOF Bar-B-Que this weekend. We'll steel flex during the week.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Cherpa, if I would of had something better to cut with I would of done the 45 on the corners. So with that said I didn't want to take any chances or to wait any longer. All I have to do is a little clean up nothing major.

And boy is it deep!

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 am

I was unhappy with how the nose came out so I did a little fixing. Learning curve error. Bought some fastone and molded the front to look presentable. Here is the result before applying the steelflex.

Spent three hours sanding the bottom with 40 grit. Wiped it down with acetone and taped the sides and the nose getting ready for steelflex.

Now getting ready to apply the steelflex. First is to add the dye to Part 1 of the steel flex and mix it thoroughly.

Nice uniform color after mixing it well. Once done mixing, I mix equal parts of 1 & 2 and mix that making sure to not move the pail from the position i was holding it in. Always scraping the bottom and the sides while mixing it.

After mixing thoroughly I pour the entire batch down the center of the hull. Scraping the mixing pail with a squeegy getting everything out.

Now with a squeegy I push the steelflex all over the boat hull almost to the edges. Everything was taped before beginning the process.

Then I rolled from front to back from left to right. Then from center out at an angle from front to back and finally one more time from front to back. Doing my 1" sides as I was working it.

After 45 min. of working time I removed the tape when the steelflex was at a thick tackiness to reveal the final result.

Now prepping the cage and stand and all related parts to coat with rhino liner. I coated everything with Ospho and will be wiping it down with acetone before shooting it.

And boy is it deep!

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Looking real good. The build is a lot of the fun of having the boat. Believe it or not, a part of you will actually be dissapointed when it's done!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Once you are all done you can go back and label things. Drill and tap holes misplaced that are under 1/16th inch can be labeled "OIL" cause you cant get enough oil in there to hurt anything. Holes from 1/16th to 1" can be labeled "ADJUSTMENT". Holes over 1" can be labeled "INSPECTION". Oh yes, and for something larger than 4-6" cover it and label it "PERMANENT COVER DO NOT REMOVE".

Had several Old Timers tell me this when I was working at Grumman. I was writing the Tech Specks on the J-Stars radar planes and had to include EVERY hole in the specifications.

These are the tricks to produce an error free finished product. :lol: :idea:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:20 pm

I hear you WB. A lot of learning done on this first build. The worst part is I am picky on how things look which is my worst enemy. If I ever built something else things would be done a lot different.

And boy is it deep!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:20 am

Thats when you increment the Revision Number from A to B or how ever far down the list it goes. This maintains an error free history. Grinn
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Thunder200
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Thunder200 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:27 pm

I would love to have this hull! You have done a hell of a job! Looks great Man!!! Cant wait to see you on it on the water. you will be smiling from ear to ear! :thumbleft:

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:31 pm

RA thx for the comment hopefully soon.

And boy is it deep!

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southern safaris » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Any updates , been following this one for a while
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

Jimmack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jimmack » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Let Tommy Baker have a whack at it, that man has leveled many a hull with a 10lb hammer

Return to “Airboat Talk”