Lk Kiss.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
dgc1965
Southern Airboat Member

Lk Kiss.

Post by dgc1965 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am

Did anyone hear of an accident on Lk Kiss where someone had to be airlifted after hitting a barbed wire fence?

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Lk Kiss.

Post by Southern Style » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Man, I hope not !!!! I dont know the east side that well, but remember following a boat and all of a sudden, he jerked left and went around a wooden pole.. As I came up on it, I noticed that the path he was on would have led him right into a strand of barbed wire... The wire would have missed and gone over his hull and cought his seat package/stand..

Talk about a sudden stop, or having your legs cut off if you had a front jump seat passenger (like I have)......
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

mudholian
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by mudholian » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 am

Same thing almost happened to me on sunday in Lake Toho, did a 180 on a plane, thought it was going to sink for sure. Been through there 100 times and never had wire on it. Later I found out they just hung brand new wire the week before. Had 3 kids in the front seat also. If I wouldnt have acted as soon as I did, there would have been some hurt people in my boat. From now on, I am going to carry some sort of marking material in my boat and mark everything I see, it would be nice if all airboaters could do the same. It could save someone some grief.

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 am

my brother told me there was a airboat crash last weekend near the bus but havent heard any details

dgc1965
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dgc1965 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:16 pm

No doubt Mud,Glad it was a near miss, hate to hear stuff like that happening, I m getting a can of florecent orange spray paint this afternoon....Be Safe Guys !!!

JWH
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JWH » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:53 pm

At the Milk bus Sat. two boats racing, a bass boat pulled up in the grass to walk over to the shore and one of the airboats hit the bass boat. Was not there myself so don't know any other details.
13'6"x8' Alumitech AGS, 550 Waterthunder,2.38 Stinger & 3 Blade 80" R

BradWeihrauch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BradWeihrauch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Maybe we need orange flags on bassboats.

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cetchdawg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:00 am

Yes he did hit a barb wire fence no he was not air lifted ! In rough shape but not treated ! Was told when they were cutting him free the strands of wire sounded like a banjo string messed his legs up purdy good ! But him and the boat made out better than they should have!

dgc1965
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dgc1965 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks cetchdawg, I appreciate the update,Just goes to show you, no matter how long youve been riding anything can happen to anyone..

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cetchdawg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Yeah he is a seasoned airboater for sure ! Things like that can happen to anyone !

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Back in the day ... LOL ... I hate that sayin ... we used to call grass rakes .. fence jumpers ... a few ranchers would run a single strand of barbwire claiming it was to establish their leases .. and well you can imagine what could happen at night .. espcially when the posts were very far apart so you didn't notice a line of posts ... a few stories used to be told of airboaters losing their legs and it made a believe rout of me .. but I was just a kid back then but every boat we eve rbuilt had a fence jumper on it and it was used .. the jumpin is easy the landin gets tricky ..
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:16 am

Instead of getting spray paint to mark it, why don't you all just carry a pair of wire cutters. I would think they would get tired of putting them back up, and pull the posts out while you are at it. Furthermore, whoever is putting up the fence, even if marking their property line, would be held liable by most any court for any injuries by the fence if somebody ran into it. Thats why when they put chain, cable etc across driveways, they hang ribbons and reflectors on them so people would see them easily. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

mcleod0506
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mcleod0506 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:10 am

On sun afternoon I gave a ride to a lady to meet up with her family. They were camping on the ridge just past Camp Mack. She told me that someone in her family fractured his neck and is being airlifted. She told me he was jumping off a boat into the water at the slide at the ridge when it happened. She said he was from Lake Whales. Huggins was the last name. I dont know them so I havent heard anymore. Hopefully hes ok.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:02 pm

cuttin fences in florida will get you some serious trouble if caught .... there is a whole set of statutes on fence law in this state
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 pm

cntry141iq wrote:cuttin fences in florida will get you some serious trouble if caught .... there is a whole set of statutes on fence law in this state
I kinda guessed there would be. But there are still a lot of liability issues for unmarked fences in open land generally used by the public, even if trespassing is illegal, things like that have to be visabile. A few of them farmers need to get sued and fences will be easier to see.

Back in Viet Nam, jeeps generally ran around with the windshield folded down for better visability. Because of instances of single strand of wire being set between trees across the road, the army put a post 3-4 ft tall on the front bumper of all jeeps to pop the wire. The vc pretty well stopped stringing the wire when the army did that I think. Hope it doesnt come to boats having to run a short flag pole on the bow in florida. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cetchdawg » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Most of those fences were there way before the times of 9 billion and a half airboats running crazy on those marshes ! And I'm sure 99 percent of the people who have hit a ranchers fence feel the same way and never thought of getting a lawyer !!!

Return to “Airboat Talk”