Any other oldtimers from the Good old days

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
captainJohn
Southern Airboat Member

Any other oldtimers from the Good old days

Post by captainJohn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:14 pm

any oldtimers out there from the good old days. Area 3 in the early 70's

bruceharwell
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Any other oldtimers from the Good old days

Post by bruceharwell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Got started as a kid, 6 yrs old, 1959,... long before Alligator Alley existed. Launched from 20 mile bend on the Trail most times. I remember launching off the side of Hwy 27 west, north of Andytown, running west to the "mud flat", (Miami Canal) and further west to camps like Al Henshels, Roger Tadlocks, Tom Shirleys, etc. A bad azz boat back then had a Lycoming 125 "powerplant". Foots was a licensed A&P and did a lot of maintenance and overhauls on "the boys" boats.

I was with the "foursome"...Dad, Bob Jernigan, Jay Hawkins and Randy Collier when they picked out the head to build Camp 28, a.k.a. Duck Camp, they hated that name, lol.

We hunted a lot back then, deer, hogs, ducks, frogging, fishing...just enjoying the solitude and getting away from the city's hustle and bustle. Now, too many want to bring their drama to the woods. :angry5:

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Still remember going with my Dad to Holiday Park to see the most amazing new fangled thing in airboats a CARMOTOR engine by a guy named Jimmy Swait. He was using Cadillac 472 and 500ci engines from wrecked cars. Swait had a tree behind Holiday where his shop was and where he pulled engines. Rudy Etchen, Swait's former helper, built the rigging and engine for our first Cadillac powered boat in 1974. Boy was is a heavy pig. The rest is history....

catchment38
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by catchment38 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:56 pm

Yep, those were deffently the good ole days. I hunted out of Palmers camp, Did Operation Deer Save, Helped with the deer islands Etc. Fog hunted with Charlie Harris, George Peppin and a host of others. Started with a 85 cont. then a 150 lyc. go darn near anyplace back then. Sure had fun......

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 pm

I think Jimmy was the one most responsible for car motors gaining such popularity. Once folks saw them working so well on his ride boats people became believers. I used to come home on leave from the military and go help him with brazing, machining and sheet metal work. In the afternoons we would go to the bombing range N of Sawgrass and airboat N of the stub canal up to the walk bridge adjacent to Browns Farm. We'd be hitting on the bottle of vodka he always had stashed under the bow. While out there my friends Ralph and Rudy would usually meet us late (by then Jimmy and I were under the influence) in the day and go jumping on the backs of deer. Then after dark we would go catch alligators by hand until a big gator almost bit Ralph's finger nail off. That ended gator catching.
Many good days were had out there by Jimmy and us.
Too bad Jimmy's gone. I do miss him.

gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Andytown says it all for oldtimers. Frank, we used to use the bridge at Browns Farm to run our buggies over to Area 2. Used to be some nice deer(and hogs) over there. Ran into Red Henshels one time when he was froggin in 3A north by the Miami Canal. He had some pictures in an old ammo can . We were camped in the old rest area east of the canal on the north side. He came in and asked if he could share our fire. Opened up the ammo can and had a complete history in there about airboats. That stuff should be in a museum today. The old flat bottom airboats , no cages. A 2x2 for steering. Absolutly great evening. He had some pics of huge bucks that he used to wrangle before the season srtarted with ribbons he used to tie around the antlers to show they were his deer to others that shot them once the season started. We used to pull into Tom Shirleys camp to get out of the weather sometimes in the good ole days. Saw Tom Shirley :salute: at the Broward show this past march. Looks pretty good considering what he went through a few years back. Was good to see him. Miss them days. :) AND, i still miss Mr.Ds hot dog and sausage truck at the miami canal boat ramp. :D Oh yeah, havn't heard the word Palmers in a long time.
gator

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Years ago I just knew Palmers Crossing as "The Crossover" 12 miles W of US 27. Man that dike used to be rough all the way to the S-8 back in '67, '68 and '69.
It's hard to believe it was 40+ years ago.
I hope todays young hunters don't lose all the access freedoms we have lost in the last 40+ years.
They will though if they don't get off their seats and start working to protect and get back what has been stolen from them in the name of the environment.
Don't forget "These are the good old days".

Gladesman

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by aherr520 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 pm

I think there is alot of oldtimers around but just not on the internet as much,I know because my dad is one of them I showed him southern airboat when he was here visiting and he liked all the pictures and some info I showed him,he said he might check it out when he gets a chance he will be able to answer alot of questions for the AC guys
aaof member

boobidges
Southern Airboat Member

Post by boobidges » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:46 pm

im not really an "old timer",but when i was born we lived in "Pinecrest".little town halfway down Loop Rd.my mom worked at Cooper town.my dad hunted all of whats now big cypress.our neighbor was and old man named Irvin Roauss.Apparently he wrote the song orange blossom special.in those days 125s were the common engine,lotta corvairs too.Daddy put the 428 out of an old fhp car that rusted out on his old sled.guess he was a pioneer.lol.most people never even heard of Pinecrest.

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by MarshRider » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 pm

This is Bonnie Basham, Marsh Rider editor. a couple of you know me....
I love reading these comments and recollections. I grew up on Lake Conway in the 50's. I still pull out the old slides my dad
took from those days....

IF any of you would like to expand on your comments here, i'd be more than
happy to print them as separate articles or as one article....photos would be great, too.

It is critical that we remind the new airboaters but most especially our children and grandchildren
what it was like, what their heritage is and why we must be so careful to hang on to what we got
and try to get some of the old stuff back.

If you'd like to see some of the stories we've written about gladesmen, old timers -- i'll be glad to
send magazines -- just pm me with a name/address...we have not limited ourselves just to the glades -

I'm very serious about this -- and hope to hear from you
thanks for giving my request your consideration

bonnie/bondo
FAA Corporate Member
TexasAirboatAssociation 099
NebraskaAirboatAssociation Life Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!
http://www.marshridermagazine.com

bruceharwell
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bruceharwell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Pinecrest...I got pygmy rattlesnake bit there in '76, in the middle of Loop Road. Where did the years go?

fulldeck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fulldeck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:13 am

my dad was a captin for eastern airlines, one of the first hired, as a kid i knew the capt. and crew of flight 401, used to go out to curtis pitts place in homested who built the pitts special stunt plane. always flying in the air or on sawgrass, many frogs,deer,hogs,gators,snakes. damm we geten old, but would'ent change it for nothen. just wish could do it all again.

gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gator » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:38 am

Pinecrest. Wow ! Another ghost from the past. What was the name of the ole dude that had the little grocery store there ?? Is the quail farm still out on the loop ? Havn't been out ther in years. Eric should be in on this thread. Where's Eric Frank ?? Is the radio tower still out in the middle of the loop ? Used that tower on many occasions to get my bearings.
gator

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:47 pm

hunted off turner river late sixtys and 70s thompson camp tire buggys and airboats baby and i hate the nps land grabbers

DAN SARDELLA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DAN SARDELLA » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:47 am

I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN SOUTH FLA. WE LIVED AT 82ND AND THE TRAIL ON THE CANAL. WE MOVED THERE IN EARLY 50S. WE WOULD LEAVE MY HOUSE ON BUGGY AND CROSS FLAGLER AND HUNT ALL IN BEHIND WHERE DORAL IS NOW ALL THE WAY TO BETTY AND JOHNNNY LEVEE. WE AIRBOAT HUNTED EVERYWHERE YOU COULD RUN A BOAT, WE PUT IN AIRBOAT ASSOC. AND RAN SOUTH , WE HUNTED SOUTH OF LOOP , PUT IN AT L-67 ON EAST AND WEST SIDE, WE HAD A CAMP OFF L-28 ALMOST TO THE END OF THE FIRST CANAL. IT WAS GREAT BACK THEN LOAD YOUR DOGS ON THE BUGGY OR BOAT AND JUST HUNT. WE HAD A BUGGY CAMP BEHIND JIMMY PATTONS WE KEPT OUR BUGGIES BEHIND MIDWAY CROSSED CANAL AT OLD WOODEN BRIDGE WHERE PARK BUILDING IS NOW. I MOVED IN EARLY 70S LAST TIME I RODE ACROSS TRAIL IT MADE ME SICK, YOUR RIGHT ITS A SHAME THE YOUNGER KIDS WILL NEVER GET TO SEE THE REAL GLADES AND ENJOY THE TIMES WE HAD.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:26 am

I say we do a night at a restaurant like the Lake park marsh ole timers did a couple years ago in palm beach. I'd love to sit and listen to the stories.Maybe we can all meet at a camp one day or night,i'm sure we can tote as many people who want to go out as needed.

I was a few years too little to really enjoy the glades the way God intended for them to be enjoyed,not some guy sitting behind a desk in SFWMD or ACOE etc telling you when and how or how many......me and my old buddy Sam Kramer used to walk Browns farm because we didn't have a buggy,but we walked the buggy trails all day long like 2 young dumb kids would do,but we were hunting,and we were having fun.The day a few guys picked us up and drove us back in we thought we hit the jackpot. When you tell people about camp city,and how clean the water was,and a largemough bass had a red tint on his skin they look at you like your crazy. It's funny how these so called agencies want to preserve the glades,but they neglect to say they want to preserve the lifestyle people once used to enjoy.

My 7yr old jumps on any chance he has to go ride,or buggy hunt and be outdoors,too bad he won't see it the way it was meant to be.

BTW, when I was about 14 or so,my cousin and I were met at the dike at the end of Wiles road by a bunch of LEO's because our parents thought we were lost in Loxahatchee,we just got turned around a bit and were half a day late :lol:
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

lyc200
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by lyc200 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:46 pm

my brother an i own jessie willie camp#6 ,my dad starting building it in 1959.
We use to hunt with old man smok an the elisons, fun times that are sure gone now.

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am

Partner, me and my buddy Ralph have got some nice deer South of Jessie Willy's, Hawk Camp sure did have an upgrade when I saw it a few years ago, what a chalet.

I did hear SFWMD was trying to screw them. How did that turn out???

God, that place got fancy.

Gladesman

lyc200
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by lyc200 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 am

It all turn out alright we all got to pay lease money to kept them ,They get comming an going today, still some nice bucks around there. Sure miss the old days!

timmmyy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by timmmyy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 am

Do you remember the lady that would sell hotdog at the rest area topless on alligator alley, aka Elvira
Olways on the furst date

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 am

Hey, How about a big - "old timers and those who want to listen to their tales campout" in Big Cypress at Trail Lakes Campground 4 or 5 miles East of Everglades City on Tamiami Trail.

Lots of space and campfire area.

Just a thought for the South end.

Gladesman

DAN SARDELLA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DAN SARDELLA » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:35 am

GLADESMAN I THINK THAT WOULD BE A BIG TIME FOR EVERONE. I'VE LOST TOUCH WITH MOST OF THE GUYS I GREW UP HUNTING WITH, I'M ONLY 62 BUT A LOT OF THE OLD SWAMPERS FROM MY YOUTH HAVE PAST ON, OF THE GUYS I HAVE STAYED IN TOUCH WITH MOST HAVE MOVED OUT OF FLORIDA. AFTER ONE OF MY OLD HALF-TRACK AND AIRBOAT BUDDIES TOLD ME ABOUT THIS SITE IT HAS MADE ME REMEMBER WHAT A GREAT TIME WE HAD BACK IN THE 50'S AND 60'S HUNTING IN THE GLADES. I REMEMBER THE TAMIAMI TRAIL BEFORE THE NEW STRECH FROM L-67 WAS THERE AND I REMEMBER WHEN THEY STARTED BUILDING THE ALLEY, WE USED TO HUNT OF 29 0N JONES LOGGING ROAD AND I REMEMBER WHEN THEY CUT THE FIRST SURVEY LINES IN, WHEN THE WATER WAS HIGH YOU PUT A BOAT IN OFF JONES GRADE AND HUNT THE GRASS ALMOST BACK TO THE TRAIL, WE DUCK HUNTED SOUTH OF THE TRAIL AND WEST OF 29, WE HAD A GREAT PLACE WE SNOOK FISHED OFF ISLE CAPRI ROAD THERE WAS A KOA CAMPGROUND AND WE GO BACK IN BEHIND IT IN THE MANGROVES AND CATCH TONS OF SNOOK AND BLUE CRABS I'M SURE ALL THAT IS GONE OR SOME KIND OF PARK. WHERE IS THAT CAMPGROUND YOUR TALKING ABOUT? THERE WAS A STORE THERE IN OCHOPPE WE USE TO STOP AT I THINK IT WAS CALLED WATSON'S IS IT CLOSE TO THAT.

Stuffer Steve
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Stuffer Steve » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Teenager grew up in Margate and usd to take C14 canal and jump levee into area 2a to hunt deer/ducks. Ran full tracks/airboats off of a tent camp off of the alley for first 9 days of deer season for years. It was great. My first Florida deer, a nice 7pt. was shot off of lemon head and my first hair raising experience on a fast air boat was on Horace Jone's boat. Don't know the speed but still remember my face skin peeling back, and eyes glassing shut from wind & tears. I believe the boat name was 'Fanny Dunker'. Our first boat was a franny taylor with a 125 and next season was running 0540 on a boat built by Dub Taylor (warehouse boat out of Margate). Thurman built the 3rd boat strutting an 0540. Thought we died and went to heaven, no more Amoco Gold pump gas for us....hung with the bad boys filling drums of AV gas at the executive airport and filling the gas attendent's ears with tales of tracks drag racing right off the alley, or airboats really didn't didn't need water to run 'hell we built them for busting myrtle strands' and oh yes that occasional hard luck story where a track or boat ended up on the bottom of the mud canal. The good ole days for sure!
Steve Fijalkowski
Benefactor NRA Life/Ducks Unlimited/United Waterfowlers/KRVSA/FAA/NTA-Taxidermist
Al David Performance
avIO540 Upstack /72Q

dudley
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by dudley » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Been playing with airboats off and on since 1965, don't know if that makes me an old timer or not :)
If you don't like my smoke,you don't have to ride my train.
KRVSA

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Dan, the campground I am referring to is the only privately owned one in Big Cypress Preserve. It has a big panther statue out in front about 1 mile East of Ochopee (home of the littlest post office. Just got in from out there now.
They have a lot of spaces, cater to hunters and don't screw with folks like Nat Park Service does at their campgrounds unless they really screw up like speeding or something.
They could handle a large group.
Hunting season is so close though a meet up, Gladesmen Roundup or aome other name for the event might have to wait until Spring 2012.
Gladesman

Return to “Airboat Talk”