Any other oldtimers from the Good old days

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Any other oldtimers from the Good old days

Post by Eric Kimmel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Yea that would be a great place to have a storytelling bonfire when its still cool after hunting season. Heck maybe the skunkape will show up.

I don't remember a grocery story at pinecrest just sullivans where they had a restaruant. and there was bar closer to pinecrest.
The tower is still off of Jim dale road that forks off of Loop road. there I would have been lost without it
the chicken farm was next to Ben Wolfes which is where we stayed was Don't remeber a quail farm further down past martins a guy planted a bunch of Mango trees up on mounds there are still some there.
e
Hey dan you lived near Mr Lamb he used to live on one of those streets just North of the trail between 82 and 87 ave built a lot of airboats, buggies and tracks his grandsons were Buddy, lester, Jimmy, Timmy and joel parrott Lambs claim to fame in the 60's was he built the world largeast airboat, jesse still has it at cooper town but it pretty darn small compaired with todays tour boat. Do you rember him or his grandsons His was the house on about 2 1/2 acres with a huge ficus tree a nursery dog pens and shope and just a fun place to hang out
eric

DAN SARDELLA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DAN SARDELLA » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:30 pm

YEA ERIC I REMEMBER THE LAMBS WE WOULD SHOOT DOVE RITE BY HIS HOUSE. I LIVED DOWN FROM THE FOOT BRIDGE OUR DOG PENS WERE IN THE BACK YARD AND WE ALWAYS HAD BOATS AND BUGGIES PARKED AROUND HOUSE. THERE WERE A BUNCH OF HUNTING GUYS AROUND THERE BACK THEN. THE BELLS, CALDWELLS HE HAD A BIG GREEN FULL TRACK PARKED IN FRONT OF HOUSE EVEN HAD CLEMMONS THE GAME WARDEN LIVIN RIGHT THERE.

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Thats great most folks don't remember Lamb he would be over a 110 or so by now
he was in his late 80's s when I was 18
I remember that foot bridge well
over near there was oulettes and sladeks. sladek was more of a biker than a hunter.
lambs grandsons were a handful lots of stuff going on back then

DAN SARDELLA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DAN SARDELLA » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:35 pm

THE OULETTES WERE GOOD FREINDS WITH MY PARENTS I THINK THEY HAD TWO GIRLS THEY WERE FREINDS WITH MY SISTERS I CAN'T REMEMBER FOR SURE BUT I THINK THE ONE'S NAME WAS CAROL. I KNEW SLADEK WAS HIS FIRST NAME DON? HE HUNTED WITH ME SOME HE HAD A OLD DODGE POWER WAGON AND A COUPLE OF PRETTY GOOD REDBONE HOUNDS. THAT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO GROW UP WE MOVED OUT THERE IN THE MID 50'S IT WAS THE BOON DOCKS, YOU COULD SHOOT DOVE AND QUAIL EVERYWHERE NOBODY CARED ABOUT THE SHOOTING. WE WOULD SHOOT SNIPE OVER WERE THE MALL IS NOW ON THE NORTH SIDE OF FLAGLER, IT WAS ALL MARSH AND FIELDS BACK THEN. I WENT TO SEMINOLE ELEMENTARY WHEN IT WAS 1 BUILDING AND WOODEN TRAILORS MOST OF THE INDIAN KIDS FROM OUT THE TRAIL WENT TO SEMINOLE.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:40 pm

DownRiver
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DownRiver » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:20 pm

DAN SARDELLA wrote:GLADESMAN I THINK THAT WOULD BE A BIG TIME FOR EVERONE. I'VE LOST TOUCH WITH MOST OF THE GUYS I GREW UP HUNTING WITH, I'M ONLY 62 BUT A LOT OF THE OLD SWAMPERS FROM MY YOUTH HAVE PAST ON, OF THE GUYS I HAVE STAYED IN TOUCH WITH MOST HAVE MOVED OUT OF FLORIDA. AFTER ONE OF MY OLD HALF-TRACK AND AIRBOAT BUDDIES TOLD ME ABOUT THIS SITE IT HAS MADE ME REMEMBER WHAT A GREAT TIME WE HAD BACK IN THE 50'S AND 60'S HUNTING IN THE GLADES. I REMEMBER THE TAMIAMI TRAIL BEFORE THE NEW STRECH FROM L-67 WAS THERE AND I REMEMBER WHEN THEY STARTED BUILDING THE ALLEY, WE USED TO HUNT OF 29 0N JONES LOGGING ROAD AND I REMEMBER WHEN THEY CUT THE FIRST SURVEY LINES IN, WHEN THE WATER WAS HIGH YOU PUT A BOAT IN OFF JONES GRADE AND HUNT THE GRASS ALMOST BACK TO THE TRAIL, WE DUCK HUNTED SOUTH OF THE TRAIL AND WEST OF 29, WE HAD A GREAT PLACE WE SNOOK FISHED OFF ISLE CAPRI ROAD THERE WAS A KOA CAMPGROUND AND WE GO BACK IN BEHIND IT IN THE MANGROVES AND CATCH TONS OF SNOOK AND BLUE CRABS I'M SURE ALL THAT IS GONE OR SOME KIND OF PARK. WHERE IS THAT CAMPGROUND YOUR TALKING ABOUT? THERE WAS A STORE THERE IN OCHOPPE WE USE TO STOP AT I THINK IT WAS CALLED WATSON'S IS IT CLOSE TO THAT.
Do you happen to know the name Wayne Pitman? My grandfather.
13FT Hamant SV540
Strictly Hogs and Dogs
http://www.openhogseason.proboards.com

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:44 am

The AAOF is celebrating their 60th anniversary...yes sir...60 years. It will be held in April 2012 at our annual BBQ next year. The celebration will focus on our Gladesman history and the pioneers that paved the road. There are many stories to tell and pictures to be shared, but there is a generation that is slowly passing, and it would be a shame for those accounts to go with them. It would be great to spend some time with the "old timers" and hear it first hand. My boys and I enjoy listening to Mr.Potter, Donny Onstad and others tell stories of how it used to be.
Let's remember to never forget.
Some more pioneers: Richard Larkins, Jack Switzer, Jamie Clonninger...
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:36 pm

DownRiver - Kind of remember the name but can't tie it to a face. Am 60+ now and the memory is fading a little already.

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:44 pm

GladesCat - Possibly the club could hire a professional video team with real good sound recording equipment to document everybody that speaks. The older the better. Documenting more Gladesman oral histories of the club and what Gladesman used to do (good or bad it's all OK in history as long as the statute of limitations has run out) will help if the club ever goes for the Traditional Cultural Property (TCP) designation. That TCP status is the Crown Jewel of designations and if the AAOF was to get it they would be the first and only non-commercial place with it in Florida. That might also help protect the club from the Everglades Restoration boondogle.

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:21 pm

Everglades wayne did that with Ben Wolfe shortly before he passed he didn't steer the inerview and stories quite the direction we needed but its ole ben telling different stories and changing his numerous hat during different parts of his ramblings pretty good for those who had a general idea of which stoory ben was trying to tellus.

uncleherb77
Southern Airboat Member

Post by uncleherb77 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Does the name Billy Adams sound familiar. Hes my uncle and he's got some pictures of some old boats and buggies from down there un the Glades. He also told me some crazy stories from those days.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CHAKA » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:27 am

I ran around the Everglades as a kid in the 1960's and early 70's. I see there are just a few of us left who where the son's of the original Gladesmen. My Dad who has passed was Buck Lovier. We had a camp off the main trail in wma 3a / L-28 with with a friend Frank lyons who had passed in the early 1970's. My family owned land off the Loop road in to the big cypress intil the state of Florida by force made us give it to the them as part of the Big Cypress national park. Our Camp in the Big Cypress was the Whiskey Still Camp. We hunted both north of the Loop Road and in WMA 3A / 3B alot. I remember many nights at the Gator Hook and Ervin Rouse who wrote the Orange Blossom Special. Mr.Rouse gave me a $20 bill when I was in Pinecrest one day. Does not sound like much , but having a Quarter in your pocket was a lot during that time when your a little kid in the 1960's. Dad started the Loop Road Dog and Gun Club in the 1960's. also. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CHAKA » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 am

I was reading some of the names listed of the Gladesmen and thought I would add some that were missing. Daryl Day, Gator Bill, Larry Lee, Bill weaks, " BoBo " Bunk Reading who passed away from a heart attack un-sticking an Airboat full of Tourist.. I remember Ned who owned the store at Cooper town and Rich who ran the bar at Frog City both off the Trail. Jimmy Trigg who was killed in his Airboat when he was hit by another Airboat in the Canal in L-28. Ronnie Lansford who passed away in the early 70's also. There was a guy named Morgan who was hunting Bigfoot in the Everglades and was the president of a Yetti hunting group out of Miami. I am sure some of you ran into him in the early 1970's. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Last outing at AAOF there was a film crew documenting on glades men culture, they are still working on the film to date.
I never finish anyth,,,.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CHAKA » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:26 pm

I see that some one had brought up Flight 401. My father Buck Lovier was one of the few people frogging on the South side of the trail that night it went down . He saw it do go down in to the darkness. He got to the crash site before day break as he had to load his airboat up and relaunched back north at the L-28 ramp to go up and locate the airliner. I went to the crash with my father right after the FAA pulled the wreckage out. Very sad time for us all ... Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 am

MarshRider wrote:This is Bonnie Basham, Marsh Rider editor. a couple of you know me....
I love reading these comments and recollections. I grew up on Lake Conway in the 50's. I still pull out the old slides my dad
took from those days....

IF any of you would like to expand on your comments here, i'd be more than
happy to print them as separate articles or as one article....photos would be great, too.

It is critical that we remind the new airboaters but most especially our children and grandchildren
what it was like, what their heritage is and why we must be so careful to hang on to what we got
and try to get some of the old stuff back.

If you'd like to see some of the stories we've written about gladesmen, old timers -- i'll be glad to
send magazines -- just pm me with a name/address...we have not limited ourselves just to the glades -
Bonnie; Are you still printing? Last I knew, you were closing shop. Guess we lost contact. Go on facebook , look up Old Glory Camp to see what I have been up to. Love you.

I'm very serious about this -- and hope to hear from you
thanks for giving my request your consideration

bonnie/bondo
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CHAKA » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

In the early post above they talked about the Mango trees on built up mounds. The mounds were built by hand and planted with fruit tree's by Mr. Clare Phillips who lived there on the Loop Road. I remember Uncle Mac who was 90 plus years old in the early 1970's that lived in an old school bus off the loop Road, too. Sullivan's was a Bar B.Q. place that had good food and was known for a few good drunking Brawls. I was told there had been a fight there one night between a woodsman and an Indian. During the fight the Indian took a good bite out the other guys hand and some day's later the woodsman died from Blood Poisoning that he got from being bit. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CHAKA » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:28 am

An old Backwoods Everglades tradition... Pinecrest off the Loop Road and the " Wall of Shame " in the 1960's and early 70's . If you were out deer hunting and shot at a deer and missed you would have your shirt tail cut off with a hunting knife. Your name would be written on it and after the hunt we would stop at Pinecrest like everyone else on the way back home. On the wall over the Juke Box was the " Wall of Shame " where maybe a hundred or more shirt tails hung from many deer seasons gone by. If you had lost your shirt tail the owner or someone would tack your shirt tail with all the others with the names facing forward for all to see. I never shot unless I was sure of the kill and I never joined the other on the " Wall of Shame ". Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishonhenson
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fishonhenson » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:18 am

My mom and dad Bill and Joann Henson and their friends Pat and Bonnie Brantley built our camp in 3a in 1963. My uncle ronnie shears had a camp less then a mile away. I quit going out there is the late 80's. my cousins took it over. Now my son is involved in the family camp. I get out there when I can. I still enjoy it after 50 years. I guess that makes me an old-timer. I killed my first and last buck in 3a.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:48 pm

:)
dudley wrote:Been playing with airboats off and on since 1965, don't know if that makes me an old timer or not :)
Dudley, you ain't foolin me and Cowboy .... your first airboat was a hollowed out Cypress log for a hull and a 'Model T' engine DD turning a slab of 2X8 you'd whittled into a prop. :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:57 pm

cowboy wrote:Image
Cowboy, where did you get this pic? No one has commented on it yet but I'm sure that is Norman Padget. Not only a Gladesman but a true pioneer of South Florida. He lived on Kirk Road in WPB and had a sign in the ditch advertising frog legs and turtle for sale for as long as I can remember. His son (Noah) lived in Okeechobee the last I knew. He built the house that they lived in from a load of scrap lumber that he and a friend went to Miami to buy from a lumber company. The house had shell rock for a floor to begin with and later he hand poured a concrete floor. After he died, I placed 2 memorials in his honor in area 2A. Both are still there today.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:50 am

Yes
That is Norman Padget
I can remember playing in his yard and climbing on the boats and buggies he had while my old man visited with Norman
The photo is one that I located out on the internet some years ago and downloaded
Somewhere in the photo galleries there are a couple of photos of the memorial marker you put out for the trailblazers
There is a book called Everglades Lawmen and Outlaws that has allot of good stories and info on Norman Padget
It's a good read but I think the Norman Padget stories were some of the best part of the book

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:09 pm

You got alzhiemers cowboy, lol thats the photo out of my gallery. My wifes Uncle Norman, this was one of the collage photos from his funeral. I have a few of him in there. Old Glory Thank you from my wife. He was a heck of a guy with alot of stories.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CHAKA » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:58 am

Hidden Loot Buried in the Everglades..... As a kid my father and I hunted in the Florida everglades in the 1960's and early 1970's. We owned property off the Loop Road and knew alot of the Glades people who lived there. There were rumors of hidden loot from the Ashley Gang to outlaw Hermits buring there money in the Glades. I was in the Glades watching some older kids riding there dirt bikes around and kicking dirt up as they cut into there turns. One of the kids turned around and got off his dirt bike and picked up a bunch of silver coins out of the dirt. I walked over and there was a bunch of broken glass with coins every where. The kid handed me a few of the silver coins and they where all from Canada with King George on the front. All the coins where the size of a quarter. I did not put much thought to the pile of coins intill later in life as I was reading about the Ashley Gang robbing a bank in Canada. I am sure there is more jars buried around there as the kids did not have much intrest in foreign coins that they could not spend. This was around 1965 or 1966. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:28 am

I thought the photo above came from where these Norman Padgett photos are........
Frog hunter Norman Padgett standing next to his garage and shop - West Palm Beach, Florida
Frog hunter Norman Padgett's airboat - West Palm Beach, Florida
Frog hunter Norman Padgett's airboat - West Palm Beach, Florida
Tip of frog gig used by Norman Padgett - West Palm Beach, Florida
Headlight for frogging used by Norman Padgett - West Palm Beach, Florida
Norman Padgett getting ready to go frog hunting - West Palm Beach, Florida 1986

All the above, and an audio interview available for order is at the following link
https://www.floridamemory.com/solr-sear ... %20padgett

Return to “Airboat Talk”