Truck Choice.....

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Truck Choice.....

Post by akblackdawg »

I just sold my old dodge 360. That motor pulled my boat pretty well, and got about 15mpg when not towing, but it was getting old and dirty and needed replacing. Thinking about a new "used" mid 2000 chev and wondering if the 5300 motor will pull a boat ok. I like it because they say it gets 17-20 mpg on the hwy (not towing I know). Anybody have one of those that can give me a report on it? Also considering 2500 with 6 liter motor, I'm sure that would pull ok, but is it s**t for gas mileage. Would like to find something that will get min of 15 when not towing. Was thinking about used dodge cummins, but they really hold value here (expensive used) and fuel is 30-40 cents a gal more. Duramax would be nice but they are also expensive. I'm sticking to used, and want something clean, low mileage,4x4, good fuel economy that will pull my boat in $10-12 range. Any ideas. I also have a ford with 4.6 motor that won't hardly get out of 3rd gear (auto) unless I'm going down hill. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Truck Choice.....

Post by akblackdawg »

Mods, why is it that i spelled c-u-m-m-i-n-s correctly, but the final post changes it to coming??? Bud

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

akblackdawg wrote:Mods, why is it that i spelled c-u-m-m-i-n-s correctly, but the final post changes it to coming??? Bud
You don't have a dirty enough mind lol.
To reply to the original post, you might look for a 7.3 turbo superduty. Nice trucks and down here can be found in your price range. That will probably be my next truck coming soon.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

You don't have a dirty enough mind lol.
To reply to the original post, you might look for a 7.3 turbo superduty. Nice trucks and down here can be found in your price range. That will probably be my next truck coming soon.[/quote]

I've had a 99 and a 01 diesel super duty and had to spend lots of money replacing injectore on both of them. Really makes me want to shy away from ford diesel. And yes, I figured it was the reason for the spelling. Bud

littlejoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by littlejoe »

why change brands I have a 07 dodge 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi,it has the multi displacement engine and when not towing gets 18 to 20 on the highway.Its got 123000 on it with no problems so far :D

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

Thanks littlejoe, thats the info i was looking for. Nothing againist dodge, I didn't know the 5.7 hemi did that well. Bud

OTTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OTTER »

99-2006 Fords are equipped with Navistar (International Harvester) engines.
2000-2003 7.3 liter is an awesome unit have had several - never any problems (turbos and Injectors and Inj pumps are the major issues)
2003-2006 6.0 powerstrokes should be avoided - especially the 1st run - they have major computer and wiring issues.
2008-2009 6.4's are nothing but junk - They rushed that motor out of the factory to compete with the Dodge blue tec and Duramax. Ford has issues with warranties on these - way too much computer and emission stuff. Had one for 16 months and it spent 93 days in the Ford garage until they finally said there was no more warranty at 33K miles.
Traded it for a Ram 3500 and couldn't be happier.
A friend purchased my Ford from the used car dealer, only to have it BURN to the ground 4 weeks after he bought it.
Love the Ram and the Cummins - get around 14 w/o boat and about 12 with it in tow, even with a 5th wheel RV I still get 11mpg.
the ford would only get 6mpg w/ RV and 8 w/ Airboat.

The 2000 - 2003 are the best engines if you like adding performance stuff - after that - Too Many Computer Controlled things to go wrong.

Have Fun looking and enjoy what you get...
:old_glory:

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown »

I have a 02 durmax just turned 100000 its a 3500 one ton 4x4 it gets 20 empty or pulling my boat best truck i have ever bought. but hold there value good . going too be hard too find one in your price range.
but well worth it, wrench free.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

that 5.3 will make a monkey out of a 360 dodge
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

mike007
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mike007 »

The ford 7.3 is the best diesel ever in my opinion. If your looking for a good pulling truck and good gas mileage. And otter calling the 6.4 junk is a little out of line I'm sure your cummins is a fine motor and the dodges are a fine truck. But I would put my junk 6.4 up against that dodge in pulling speed and comfort. Like I said about the 7.3 there great trucks put almost 300,000 miles on one with over half those miles hooked to a gooseneck trailer. But the are just outdated and it was time to upgrade. But if your in the market for a mid 2000's model truck I think the 7.3 is the only way to go. Good luck in your truck shopping. It is always a joy to get somthing new

littlejoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by littlejoe »

the 5.7 is really good on fuel but only in the 1500 with multi displacement,when your not gettin on it it runs on four cylinders .as to the 5.3 its 305 horse vs 360 and I've smoked alot of em stock vs stock I'll eat ya up.I also have a 2500 trx4 off road with the hemi but the multi displacement is not available on a 3/4 ton it only gets about 16 mpg

YELLOWHAMMER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by YELLOWHAMMER »

i had a 99 1500 chevy 327 that would not pull my boat worth a shxt i had a 97 dodge 318 that would run circles pulling the same boat--i had a 01 chevy 3500 6.4 gas that would pull it damn good an not to bad on gas when not pulling something--now a 2500 diesel chevy will give ya what you want good on milage an has the power

PERHAPS THEY KNOW ME BETTER THEN I KNOW MYSELF GEN ROBERT E LEE

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

I have a 99 extended cab 5.3 with 248,000. She pulls the boat OK. The only truck I ever had that liked to pull the boat 80 mph was my Nissan Titan. The Titan was thirsty tho!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

ccamp
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ccamp »

i have an 06 chev 1500 5.3 i've had nothing but trouble with it.4x4 is undependable at best, cant keep all the light bulbs burning curently have a taillight and a blinker out and wont be fixing it because frankly i'm sick of pulling the lights out. lost a front wheel bearing at 50k miles. Terrible on gas. this is my first and last chev. Only keeping it now cause it is paid for. Had 2 f150 supercrews since 03 and loved the 5.4 though the 4.6 wouldnt pull a greasy string out of a cats arse, when the doors fall off my chev (which could be any day) i'll go back with them.

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog »

I had a 2002 chevy w/ a 5.3 good on gas, just a awsome rig wish I still had it! It pulled my race car great, but I didn't have a airboat then so I can't comment on that. I also had a 2002 chevy work truck w/ the 6.o that took a beatin, but wasn't good on gas like the 5.3. Hope that helps you out, and good luck!
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog »

ccamp wrote:i have an 06 chev 1500 5.3 i've had nothing but trouble with it.4x4 is undependable at best, cant keep all the light bulbs burning curently have a taillight and a blinker out and wont be fixing it because frankly i'm sick of pulling the lights out. lost a front wheel bearing at 50k miles. Terrible on gas. this is my first and last chev. Only keeping it now cause it is paid for. Had 2 f150 supercrews since 03 and loved the 5.4 though the 4.6 wouldnt pull a greasy string out of a cats arse, when the doors fall off my chev (which could be any day) i'll go back with them.
I guess there's a lemon in the bunch no mater what brand you go with :violent1:
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds »

akblackdawg wrote:I just sold my old dodge 360. That motor pulled my boat pretty well, and got about 15mpg when not towing, but it was getting old and dirty and needed replacing. Thinking about a new "used" mid 2000 chev and wondering if the 5300 motor will pull a boat ok. I like it because they say it gets 17-20 mpg on the hwy (not towing I know). Anybody have one of those that can give me a report on it? Also considering 2500 with 6 liter motor, I'm sure that would pull ok, but is it s**t for gas mileage. Would like to find something that will get min of 15 when not towing. Was thinking about used dodge coming, but they really hold value here (expensive used) and fuel is 30-40 cents a gal more. Duramax would be nice but they are also expensive. I'm sticking to used, and want something clean, low mileage,4x4, good fuel economy that will pull my boat in $10-12 range. Any ideas. I also have a ford with 4.6 motor that won't hardly get out of 3rd gear (auto) unless I'm going down hill. Bud
How far, how fast, how often are you pulling? That 4.6 will run all day and tomorrow in the mid-threes pulling your boat and then get the kind of mileage you're talking about solo. Heck, I'd just lock it out of od and pull forever. I did that with a Jeep Grand Cherokee back in the early nineties pulling a trailer cross country and had no complaints at all.

Otoh, if you're wanting a new truck....
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 »

i pull with a 04 f350 6liter tuned and pull boat 80mph. on 38's.
if u don't run dry .then should have gotten a bassboat
tons videos on YouTube ptr34

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

dodge 3500 4x4 single wheel diesel 6.7 blue tech gets 19.8 @ 75 empty and pullin boat gets 10 @ 70 add in bed slide in camper gets 10 with the airboat behind it .. no extra for airboat if camper is on it. pulled a big boat with two tripple seats and full cage with 5 blade superwide to pensacola on I-10 gps top speed was 109 .. had 5000 pd axles under trailer to take the down force and had heavy duty tires aired up to 80 lbs ... just wanted to see what it would do for topend decided I couldn't afford the ticket LOL ... had a duramax same year 2007 diesel it was good just not quite as strong as the dodge ... but that was just my opinion
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

weve got an 03 chevy 1500 4x4 5.3 never done anything to it but change the oil and tires
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

DWEST
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DWEST »

IMO go with a 7.3, I love mine. But you can talk engines all night, gearing has a lot to do with your mileage.
Duct tape and Tie-wire

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

In my opinion the ford 7.3 is a great motor and with the six speed manual trans it is a hard combo to beat. Most of the fuel injector problems is from lack of maintanance and I have seen duramax,powerstroke and cummins with injectors failing. Good injector cleaner(stanadyne) and keeping up with fuel filter changes are most often not done on time. I get 15-16 mpg with my truck camper and airboat with my 7.3 with the 6 speed. I use to work with a guy who had a 1997 7.3 with 460,000 miles and counting on his 250 and he drives it everyday to work. If I had my dream truck it would be a superduty truck with a cummins 12 valve motor with an allison transmission.
Last edited by MJD291 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SHABA »

I still have a 1993 Dodge D250 with a 5.9 cummings over 250000 miles and still pulls like the day I bought it.... Installed Banks Turbo and Changed Injection pump and Maintenance is all... Pull the boat 15 MPG with out the boat. Mitch
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

jimmy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmy »

got a 2500 gmc full crew 8' bed(as long as a school buss) gets 19.5 -21 on the interstate 14 pulling what ever ya want
6.0 gas burner

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

Trucks are like airboat none do it all the best, so pick the one that will do the job you need the majority of the time

My 2011 F250 with the 6.7 is great truck 6 speed auto that you can shift manual, 12 pulling the boat 20 on highway 15 in town was better lost about 3 mpg with lift & tires. The engine is super quiet, ton of power will eat new chev for lunch and have a Dodge for desert and the best thing is back up camera no more punched out tags :lol: zero problems the DEF fluid is a a pain about 7000 miles 5 gals but that is the feds also why ford had to replace 7.3, 390, 460, 429, 351 Clev all pollution crap going to just get worse

2009 6.4 sucked diesel like a 2 dollar ***** at a keg party, ran strong but only 6500 mile it was gone

2006 6.0 75000 miles no issues till about 60000 popped the heads then the fun started

2002 7.3 great truck should have kept it

1999 7.3 great truck but wanted short bed took 40 acres to turn 4 door LWB
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Return to “Airboat Talk”