will it run the hill ?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

will it run the hill ?

Postby cetchdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm just curious ? Is there a book on the first question(s) to ask when buying an airboat ? Cuz id put my next two paychecks (not a whole lot) on it that chapter one is focused on "Will it run dry?", "will it run the hill?", or "does it cross a levy?"

Not being an a$$ but seriously out of everyone I know they all get the same thing ? Is there that many boats out there that can't leave the water ? Where I'm located 99.9 percent of the boats can run at least out of the water or up a levy ...

I understand that every boat will get stuck ... Or Hung up .! And seat time has a lot to do with it ! But I'm telling you out of the prolly 1500 emails ive had on my boat for sale 1200 the very first question is "will it run dry" .....

Ok rant over ! Just wondering if I was the only person who has ever thunk about this ?
Last edited by cetchdawg on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: will it run the hill ?

Postby cflacowboy001 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Will IT ? :D

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby JAMES » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:14 pm

well i think because u r selling a airboat and if it cant run dry they might as well buy a bass boat :roll:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

alligatorplace
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby alligatorplace » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Take a short video of the boat running water and dry in different conditions. Take a video of some of your gauges - Oil Pres, temp ect then pan around the boat slowly with the camera. Post it on YouTube and place a link to the video in your ad. That will usually keep the questions, other than "Trade for a mud-truck" question to a minimum.

ffcracker
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby ffcracker » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Man there is a big differance in climbing a levee and pulling up on the bank and turning around. Always run it befor you buy it, even if its around the yard.
A RESENTFULL CITIZEN OF A DICTATORSHIP CALLED alachua county

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby JAMES » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:29 pm

hell what ever the case it bet the outcomes better then the 30 dd 350's ive seen 4 sale say they will run dry with 4 people and run 100 mph :lol:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Not everyone is a liar. Some are just more economical with the truth than others.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cetchdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Lol Damn I forgot to add the trade part !!! But id put another two weeks pay (again... Not much to speak of) on it that chapter two was all about trading a 1982 Ford bronco II with 44 gumbo mudders on the back , 31 12.50 Bfg's on the front , custom pipe bumpers , custom stereo including cd player and 6x9's self tapper screwed to the roof , custom pvc rebel flag holders , custom cb antenna , and custom 8 ball shifter knob ........

How could I forget ! That is key to buying a boat that know where in the title does it mention the seller needs your problem in a trade ... If it does not say I want this much ..........? (Fill in the blank) or I will trade for (said bronco II ) then more than likely the price is semi firm and its a cash only deal !

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby josh_2562 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:41 pm

I always like when they say runs great. Been sitting needs carb and mags rebuild. Turn key boat prop not included

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cetchdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Mine is no hill burner by no means and in the middle of the day when the sun is straight up i do tend to hafta grind on it a lil more than id like to ... But that comes with the territory right ! You buy a small economical boat that is great on fuel you can't expect it to run miles right next to a super charged boat or big ole geared car motor boat ! I say use yer head and yuel turn out just fine !

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:50 pm

JAMES wrote:well i think because u r selling a airboat and if it cant run dry they might as well buy a bass boat :roll:

James, you are giving a bass boat far too much credit here. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cetchdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:51 pm

I agree James ....... 100 percent ! If it hasta stay in the water might as well get a bass boat ! Jmo

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Andrew McD » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:04 pm

you got one of two types of people asking about the boat. Ones who know nothing and ones that know a lot.

the ones who know nothing just read on SA and hear from friends what makes a good boat.... "running dry, hill, levy".... :roll:

The ones who know a lot probably already know what the boat should do based on the hull, rigging, engine, and prop. They are checking to make sure the engine and boat are good for the price.... :mrgreen:

not all good boats run the hill.....not all people should have a boat that does run the hill for their first boat...

JMO
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

alligatorplace
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby alligatorplace » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Andrew McD wrote:you got one of two types of people asking about the boat. Ones who know nothing and ones that know a lot.

the ones who know nothing just read on SA and hear from friends what makes a good boat.... "running dry, hill, levy".... :roll:

The ones who know a lot probably already know what the boat should do based on the hull, rigging, engine, and prop. They are checking to make sure the engine and boat are good for the price.... :mrgreen:

not all good boats run the hill.....not all people should have a boat that does run the hill for their first boat...

JMO

Well said and very true..

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cetchdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:35 pm

I don't know about you guys but I usually start out a conversation with somebody I don't know via email or text with something
Along the lines of good morning, good evening , good afternoon, hi my name is , or at least howdy ........

Not "Does It Run Dry" lmao ! Subject, message and ending !to the point ! Lol

Walker77
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Walker77 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:44 pm

I like the "what's your bottom dollar" question when you have "price is FIRM" posted in the add, 2 or 3 times. How do you try an low ball someone if you've never even looked at the boat, KMA... guess you gotta take all calls and questions when selling something on computer.
On side note, thanks to SA for the classifieds section, sold mine to couple straight up guys yesterday, no games, no BS. Hope they enjoy it..

jimmy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jimmy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:55 pm

or the call i got"could ya bring it to lake okachobees,so i can take it out for the day?)i live 3 an1/2 hours away i told em,
so send me $200. non deductable i will. thats what it would cost in gas. he thought that if i wanted to sell it bad enough i should do it so he could go ride all day???
i wasent hard up for the bucks, think i'll just let it sit in the yard and plant flowers in it

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Cetchdawg,look at it this way you've had 1,200 emails and I have had zero!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:20 pm

yea i love sellin one and listing HULL CAGE SEAT STAND AND ENGINE STAND ONLY!!!!! NO MOTOR PROP OIL COOLER SEATS OR ACCESORIES JUST HULL AND METALWORKS 1000obo then they call and ask how does the motor run and why are you sellin it so cheap
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cetchdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:41 pm

1500 emails and calls don't mean squat when its still sitting in the yard ! Lol

bowhunterfl
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby bowhunterfl » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:17 pm

I got the phone call with the friend in the back ground telling him what to ask about, tell I ask him if he was buying the boat or was his friend. I was asking $2000 he said will you take $800 and I will come get it .
14' combee 454 BBC 2to1 belt drive spinnen 3 wirlwind master blasters.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:04 am

cetchdawg wrote:1500 emails and calls don't mean squat when its still sitting in the yard ! Lol

that many emails and calls, it either means you are not a salesman or there is something wrong with the boat. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cetchdawg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:22 am

Nope nothing wrong with the boat ... And I'm not sure whether or not what kinda salesman I am but you forgot to mention the fact that nobody has any money ...... I could have sold it time and time over if I would come down 1/3 of my asking price and / or take someyhing else as a trade !

I can say this ! I had my old box style Chevy mud truck (built right no junk) on here a guy from north Carolina called me offered to wire me a deposit if I would meet him half way ? He wired me the money and the next day I loaded the truck onto to gooseneck and met him in Bruniswick ga which is a good poke from Melbourne .... That's purdy good salesman qualities if you ask.me if the buyer has the money and is serious ill do what it takes but I've learned when you have something nice that lots of people would like to have you get tons of curious emails that have no intentions of buying ! Out of all the emails, texts and calls I have had only 10 or so have even come to look at it ! I think its more that they are scared of my price.. and has nothing to do with me or the boat the boat has 1st and 2nd place trophies to prove looks and prooving how it runs is the easy part I let the boat speak for itself in that area !

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:30 am

Andrew McD wrote:you got one of two types of people asking about the boat. Ones who know nothing and ones that know a lot.

JMO

Then you have us those that hunt and camp and what we consider running dry. Charging the hill to get to the top is not that gambling.

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby josh_2562 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:51 am

Walker77 wrote:I like the "what's your bottom dollar" question when you have "price is FIRM" posted in the add, 2 or 3 times. How do you try an low ball someone if you've never even looked at the boat.

I have emailed about stuff and made offers on stuff that I have not seen. But I ask a lot of ?'s 1st. Then tell them if it's like they say it is I'll bring this much cash today. I think it's better then driving all over the place and taking up my time and there's if it not in my price range or there's
As far as firm goes I have seen stuff say firm then the next week be list for $1000 less. I always list my stuff a little higher so people feel like they got a deal.

Return to “Airboat Talk”