flying airboat project . . . ground effect

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
mcurcio1989
Southern Airboat Member

flying airboat project . . . ground effect

Post by mcurcio1989 »

I am new to the forum. It seems like this is the premier spot on the web for air boat discussion. I have a somewhat unique idea and I am not sure if it has even been done before. I need some input from you guys as your the experts on air boats. I am going to assume that most of you are not familiar with ground effect airplanes. But basically you use sort of short stubby wings and fly within 5-15 feet of the surface (usually) water. The air between the wing and water is compressed providing more lift that you would normally experience. Most importantly you are allowed to fly and license under the rules of a boat. This principle has been used in military crafts and for recreational hovercrafts. A handful of individuals have made their own wings and controls and seen great success. Check this guy out.

Before i go into writing a book at what i would like to do let me first say do you guys see anything that would make it not feasible to put wings and an elevator on a modified airboat and allow it to fly in this manner? Obviously you would need to lower the seating positions to allow for more stability in the air and probably do a belt drive with engine mounted lower. My main concern is weight as this should be under 800lbs but of course you only need 35mph to get the craft airborne. Ill go into more detail as to what I am thinking but I am interested in you thoughts on the feasibility of this regardless of my background first.

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: flying airboat project . . . ground effect

Post by Daddy Dave »

Now THAT'S putting the plow to undisturbed ground. Too Cool!! More, Please.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

hellyah sign me up...
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

hell yeah git r dun ... that would bring some excitement back to froggin for sure ... giggin on plane at 35 mph six feet off the water .. hell yeah hey y'all watch this stuff
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

mcurcio1989
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mcurcio1989 »

Okay well so far this is just an idea in my head. I live on a river in northern ohio near lake erie and i love messing around with boats and things that fly. Last year I made a Jet boat out of a 17 foot aluminum boat and the powerplant from a jet ski. i wanted to be able to go in shallow water and explore new areas. It works great. I was hoping that this may be able to replace and add to that. You could have the wings and elevator be removable for normal air-boat operation and then add them when you want to fly. The way i see it you could make one of these from an airboat style craft very easily. Basically you would need to lower the occupants, preferably lower the engine (belt drive? I dont know if that is possible that is where you guys come in), add the wings in a manner similar to what this guy did and add an elevator behind the rudders. The airboat has more drag in the water but out of the water i would think it should have much less as it has no skirt and the hull would probably aid in the flight. It seems that an airboat would actually be a better platform for this type of fight than a hovercraft.

I have lots of experience on just about every kind of boat other than a hovercraft or airboat. I also have some experience in the air from flying my utralight. What I would like to do is make the boat about 14-16 feet long with an 8 foot beam. I would like to be able to power it with a beetle engine as I have experience with them and they are cheap and simple. My concern is that they may lack power. This would need 35mph to obtain flight and inflight speeds of 50 or so are best. Id like to keep the weight as low as possible, the one in the video weighs around 700lbs. That is what rules out using the big v8s you guys like! That is where I would like to be. Also due to my location it is going to be hard to find a hull. I was thinking of making my own out of aluminum. Is that doable? I know that I would want to first make the airboat and familiarize myself with the operation first and then later try the flight.

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

They do have belt drives that allow u to run ur engine down low. Ud have to run an aircraft style engine obviously, maybe run a mini airboat style setup. Problem I see is mid air torque roll. Good luck, keep us posted!
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

mcurcio1989
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mcurcio1989 »

When you say aircraft style engine are you saying engines specifically made for airplanes or just not a huge v8? Id like to be able to run a beetle engine. They are used a lot in small experimental aircrafts and I have experience working with them. Also they are inexpensive which is the big thing. I have a budget. My main concern with them is power I mean I probably need a top speed of 45mph on the water. Also I currently use my jet boat to transport my four wheeler to ride on islands I would like to be able to fit it on this boat which is why the 14ft length is needed I will definitely keep you guys posted!

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

the century drives .. long belt drive weighs as much as you want your total boat to weigh ... but it does go on an auto engine not an a/c engine ..
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Duane Scarborough
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Duane Scarborough »

mcurcio1989,

Welcome to the forum !

I'm familiar with ground effect craft, and during idle moments have considered building one. They look like they'd be a lot of fun. :cheers:

I've never seen one close up in person, though I did see one fly by at a distance in the Pamlico Sound.

The photos and videos that I have seen were all purpose built ground effect craft. None of them even looked remotely like an airboat.

I ain't saying that it can't be done, but it'll have some challenges to overcome along the way, for sure. :violent1:

If you've got the time and resources, I say go for it. :salute:

But you'd probably get faster, and cheaper results if you stick with a proven ground effect design.

Please keep us informed on what you decide.

Duane
Hull: Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit on the bottom
Rigging: Stainless Steel-side by side seating
Motor: Teledyne 4A084-4
Carb: Solex H30/31
Reduction: Arrow Prop 1.73:1
Prop: 67" Whirl Wind Mini Prop
Speed: unknown yet

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

What you are describing is called a WIG, Wing In Ground Effect machine. There are LOTS of You Tube videos of them and some are light weight home built machines using frame and cloth wings and small engines.

This is a hover craft not an airboat, its just the difference int he hull.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

mcurcio1989
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mcurcio1989 »

Whitebear, I think I have watched every video of wigs you tube has to offer haha. Like I said to me the airboat would seem to be a better platform than a hovercraft anyways. Obviously a more traditional style sea plane is the best platform but that just isnt any fun. BTW you have got some great quotes in your signature!

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

I think the boat size u want is gonna be hard to achieve with the power plant u would probably have to use. When I say aircraft I mean something like these guys on here r running on there boats. Lycoming, continental, one of those. When I first read this, my first thought was a 10-12 ft hull 7 ft wide, with a 4 cylinder lyc or A084 some of them r running on the minis. I think the 15-16 ft by 8ft would be a lot harder to get airborne and ud need a sbc or something bigger/more weight and lots more torque roll. None of which r gonna help you. Now this is just me, I have NO experience in wanting my boat airborne!! Lol I try to keep mine down.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by swampfox »

If ur sticking with a bug motor, there r plenty of ways to gain the pony's u need especially with todays turboing technologies :mrgreen: belt reducion will help u achieve the speeds that u need or gear reduction given certain prop applications. But how to make it stable enough to land is where im stumped. I know an airboat can achieve fly but hiw to make it safe? And flyable? It would prolly have to b flown out in the open and not in any trails but like u said it can be add ons to ur application. Cant wait to see u accomplish ur goal and good luck! This is at least step in the right direction cuz i bet the good people on this sight and all its infinate knowledge would at least put forth ideas to b part of the first flying airboat. :cheers: If i hit the powerball (lottery) i would b all ovrr this idea! All joking aside! Keep us informed please
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

mcurcio1989
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mcurcio1989 »

thanks I understand what you are saying now as far as the aircraft engine goes. I am concerned that with an aircraft engine its gonna be very expensive and hard to find parts. Im still hoping that if I scale the size down and go with a modified vw engine that may do the trick. Im trying to read everything on here that I can. I guess my main concern was that I wanted something large enough to fit 2 people or 1 person and my fourwheeler when the wings are off. I think I may not be taking into account the fact that these boats width gives them a lot more stability and just about double the displacement of the boats I am used to. I think that may be doable with the size you are talking about.

I definitely have little to no knowledge on airboats so i am trying to do everything I can to change that. If you guys no of any other way than reading threads to get some good info please advise.

One issue that needs addressed is the fact that I live in northwest ohio. I mean its gonna be next to impossible to come across a hull. Is building a hull from aluminum an option?

Duane Scarborough
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Duane Scarborough »

mcurcio1989,

Even way down south here in NC, finding a suitable AIRBOAT hull is hard.

That's why I made a trip to FL to get mine.

But what you want is a special thing. You're either going to have to build it yourself, or pay someone to do it for you.

Good luck !

Duane
Hull: Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit on the bottom
Rigging: Stainless Steel-side by side seating
Motor: Teledyne 4A084-4
Carb: Solex H30/31
Reduction: Arrow Prop 1.73:1
Prop: 67" Whirl Wind Mini Prop
Speed: unknown yet

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Actually an aluminum hull would probably be best.. Look through the forums on a kit boat posted by Milsar! That would probably be perfect!

sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sseater »

ill stick to my searey. heres a video i made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs-gZY5dviA

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada »

I've been thinking about this for a few years now . Something about a Delta wing configuration attached to an airboat for ground effects flight that really intrigues me .
Up here in Northern Ontario Canada there is such limited accessed to materials , hands on knowledge and other resources to see a project like that to completion is just isn't really viable to even start to try to get it of the ground ( no pun intended ) . I don't think I'll ever pull the trigger on it .
You Go ! I'd love to see someone do it .
As for the V8 no go .... how much speed & wing surface would it take to pick up 2500 pounds total weight in ground effects fight ?
I know on wind packed snow my boat can go faster that a sane person would be comfortable with .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

If you search back in "airboating magazine" there was an issue in the last couple years that had all kinds of manufacturers boats, diamondback, classic, floral city, etc etc etc... Well one of those boats was exactly as you described and had removable wings.They had a picture of it about 15 feet off the ground if I remember right. I think it is very well worth the call if you are serious about doing this.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

Jimmack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jimmack »

I know this is a old post, but with this boat I have, at full speed, the front lifts, with a sideways rudder mounted in the grassrake,i belive it would be completey airbourne, if only for a 100ft. maybe more

Jimmack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jimmack »

I know this is a old post, but with this boat I have, at full speed, the front lifts, with a sideways rudder mounted in the grassrake,i belive it would be completey airbourne, if only for a 100ft. maybe more

kfowler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by kfowler »

i'd prefer neither but my boat can fly with no wings and can also submarine. it showed me both those this week.

Jimmack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jimmack »

2 sticks, single throttle, kinda like a copter

greg226
Southern Airboat Member

Post by greg226 »

Dick Waters built a WIG airboat years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Airboat Talk”