Stick in the Hornet's Nest

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Stick in the Hornet's Nest

Post by Ol Yeller » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 pm

An article I came across on the Florida FWC Report for January 20-26, 2012

BREVARD COUNTY
Officers Jeremy Munkelt, Chris Rutherford, Cody Loeffler and Investigator Bryan Lee responded to a single airboat accident with injuries on the St Johns River near Bear Bluff. One occupant was transported to an area hospital and released. The operator negotiated a bend in the river at an unsafe speed, subsequently losing control of his vessel and colliding with the river bank. All occupants were ejected. The operator received several citations for navigation rule, boating safety, and registration violations.
Later that evening the same officers were checking other boaters on the marsh when they encountered an airboat with a potentially impaired operator. Field sobriety tasks were administered and the operator was arrested for BUI. He was also charged with refusal to submit to breathe test, second or subsequent offense. The subject was rude and belligerent during the stop, even bragging about the “two days he spent in the marsh” after swimming away from one of our officers during an inspection several years ago.

It’s stuff like this that brings the heat on us. I like my beer as much as the next guy on the river, but you gotta be a little bit cool. We can now expect lots of “safety equipment checks” for a while!

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Stick in the Hornet's Nest

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:06 pm

yes sir it only takes one or two to ruin it for everybody

4 pistons and a Prop
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 4 pistons and a Prop » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 pm

If I had a story like that I would probably brag to, In all reality that information about bragging should not have even been reported because it is hearsay from an intoxicated subject and at the very least third party, and simply is not fact. I dont think the bragging had any part of the reason for trouble, but rather the being intoxicated and operating a vessel. He was rude and belligerant because of his alchohol level and as is a fact of intoxication, but if I were like these retarded reporters i would say the subjects belligerant attitude was probably due to harassement by the LEO.

On another note I like the findings on the origional accident- unsafe speed in the corner (I wonder what the safe speed was to enter a corner on a airboat) my guess would be an idle if they had a say, nothing is allowed to be an accident anymore, blame has to go somewhere in todays society. Why did I respond this is all a waste of time.
when in doubt power out.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Its a known fact, that if ya cop an attitude and shoot yer mouth off, you can talk yourself right into just about any citation you want. That does make it harder on everyone else as well.

Here in Brevard we have a really great relationship with our LEOs. Be they State or County. They work for us and we appreciate their efforts to make the outdoors safer and more enjoyable.

Safe speed is like following too close. If ya hit the person in front of ya you were too close. If ya skid out of the turn you were going too fast. Right nothing is an accident and left alone any more. That is not the fault of the LEOs though, that has been brought on by the general public being so suit happy in court. They wanna sue each other and they wanna sue the LEOs and heck they even wanna sue the trees it seems. Its always someone elses fault.

Of course, all this is just my opinion. :)
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:43 pm

I can tell you that the boat that could not navagate the corner had his right foot down all the way to the floor when he passed me. So fast that he could not push any more air past the rudders to turn.. WIDE OPEN... And then he hit the bank... So, how fast was navagatable? Everyone out there could tell you that THIS speed was way to fast and everyone saw it coming way before he hit the bank... Proof by everyone screaming and pointing "WHOOOOOOOOO..." Way before the accident. Funny how the other 80 people found it way to fast for the corner, but he didn't..

And if he bragged about swimming away from officers, and they put it in the report, thats not hearsay.. That is called "Spontanious Utterance" which can be used against you in court, DRUNK OR NOT... Might want to check on that one as well.... Remember, Ignorance due to intoxication is not a legal defense.....

You can make any corrections if you wish Whitebear, but I think that is pretty much spot on..

As Whiebear said, Just my humble opinion... :D :D :salute:
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Actually Southern that is called an admission of a party against his interest which is not hearsay by statute. But it would not come into evidence in his dui since it has zero relevance to the charge. Now if he said " i had that bitch to the floor and the trees just came up" that would be 100percent admissible.

Lol. Charles

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Well, at least we agree that it is not hearsay................ Your correct, not relavent to charges of BUI, would be if he was charged with fleeing or resisting without... just a stupid drunk admission..

Oh well, hope the next few clean up's go without incident.. Love having a crap load of boats together.. Kinda like the West Palm Beach Airboat Show on the marsh !! Get to walk around a bunch of airboats and then drive yours home.. Instead of the truck !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :salute:
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Actually the report came from a site fish and wildlife puts out weekly,http://www.myfwc.com/about/inside-fwc/l ... y-reports/. Plus the I don't believe the accident and BUI were related.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 am

I agree, sounds like 2 different incidents..
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Return to “Airboat Talk”