Light headed hat lights

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Light headed hat lights

Postby Tony480 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:43 pm

I recently had the opportunity to get a new Headlight from Light headed hatlights (pea river opposum on here).And let me tell you they are by far the best headlight I have ever purchased.The quality is ten times better than the Ultra-light.I have bought 4 Ultra-lights over the years and every one of them has been junk.The wire is under sized on them.The switches are made for a/c power and not d/c and they get hot and burn up.They have basically just melted apart.If you didn't use them for long periods of time they are ok.But if you use it for 45minutes or more at a time they don't hold up.I used this light the other night and it is the best one I have used.Heck I went and turned it on and let it burn for 2 hours straight,just trying to get it hot and never had a problem.I got the hard hat band with the 100 watt quartz halogen bulb with the dimmer.I will give more updates as gator season rolls near and it really gets put to the test.
I will post pics of the light in my gallery.If someone can post them here that would be great.

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Light headed hat lights

Postby skinny99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Yup!
Attachments
Light2.jpg
Light2.jpg (93.13 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
Light1.jpg
Light1.jpg (74.69 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
Light.jpg
Light.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks for the kind words Tony. For anyone interested, my website is www.light-headed.net. We are looking to release an LED version in the near future.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Where can I get one, I'm known as the frogman area 2a, won't take long for a yah or nay from me. Frogs are having sex now but they will soon have enough of that for this year. Looks like what I used for years but w/o the dimmer. 100 watt landing lite, helmet band, 12 gauge extention cord and 120 wall plug ONLY. Think it's in son Davids boat. Bought the one's out now for conveiniencs and bulb weight. :scratch: :proud: :old_glory: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Look @ that would you. Came up while I was typing.

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:36 pm

newoldglory wrote:Where can I get one, I'm known as the frogman area 2a, won't take long for a yah or nay from me. Frogs are having sex now but they will soon have enough of that for this year. Looks like what I used for years but w/o the dimmer. 100 watt landing lite, helmet band, 12 gauge extention cord and 120 wall plug ONLY. Think it's in son Davids boat. Bought the one's out now for conveiniencs and bulb weight. :scratch: :proud: :old_glory: :rebel:

http://www.light-headed.net/ You can order straight from the web site and you get FREE shipping.A light made by a airboater for airboaters! :thumbleft: He has quite a few differnt models with different bulbs,hat,visors and dimmers.I'm sure there is one to fit everybody's needs. I will be ordering an LED with a battery pack here as soon as they are ready.Be jam up for some coon hunting and running dogs.

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby keebo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Like the dimmer on it, pretty cool.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian
13x7-6 Circle H, AV540

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 pm

What's the difference between the Halogen, Halogen Aircraft, and Quartz Aircraft bulb? Which one is the cheapest and easiest to replace?

What always bothered me about the Ultra-Light is that you can't just change the bulb when your bulb goes out; the whole "lamp" has to be changed at a cost of $25 from their website (or $15 if you search the net).

jamesw245
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby jamesw245 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:03 pm

count me in on a led when it comes out for sure. Support your airboaters in USA!! :usa:

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby boatair » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

I just ordered 2 :thumbleft:

SyS3d1t
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SyS3d1t » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:07 pm

I got a visor one and love it.. It is real light and tuff I leave it in my bow and its been in the saltwater taking a beating still works fine..
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Board Member

15' Marty Bray, 413ci SBC, 2.3-1 Belt Drive, 80" 2 Blade Sirius Series

"The new breed of hatlights"
http://WWW.LIGHT-HEADED.NET

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Might want to order with a 20 foot cord for when you get stuck and have to get out of the boat. :toothy7: :cheers: :proud: :old_glory:

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Striker543 wrote:What's the difference between the Halogen, Halogen Aircraft, and Quartz Aircraft bulb? Which one is the cheapest and easiest to replace?

What always bothered me about the Ultra-Light is that you can't just change the bulb when your bulb goes out; the whole "lamp" has to be changed at a cost of $25 from their website (or $15 if you search the net).

Striker,
Check out the Accessories page http://www.light-headed.net/accessories.html The differences are in the description. And there is a great article under the "more" tab http://www.light-headed.net/helpful-links.html
But for simplicity, The main differences between the Quartz Halogen AC Light and the Halogen AC Light is that the Quartz version is rated for 100 hours ($.25/hr), is 140,000 Candlepower and has a circular (7x7) beam pattern

The Halogen is rated for 20 hours ($.40/hr), 110,000 Candlepower and has a rectangle (12 x 6) beam pattern similar to car headlights.

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about the bulbs:
http://www.cessna120-140.org/forum/file ... _q4509.pdf

The standard halogens (35, 50 and 100 watt) are the lightweight bulbs($19.99 w/ free shipping). They are the lightest weight solution. However, they are not as durable. They are a great light as long as you don't bang em around. And that really goes for all of them. That's why we include a free fleece light cover. Unfortunately, you do have to change the reflector when the bulb goes out. They are made together and there is no way around it. All you have to do is remove two phillips head screws and swap them out.
Whichever bulb you decide to purchase I highly recommend to buy a spare. The last place you want to be when the bulb goes out is in the woods or on the water.
And as a side note. The standard halogen bulbs do NOT fit on the A/C landing light mounts and visa versa.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:30 pm

bbb wrote:Looks alot like the one I just bought from Paul. ;)

Yes...Paul Dixon is one of my dealers. Awesome! Let me know what you think.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:43 pm

newoldglory wrote:Might want to order with a 20 foot cord for when you get stuck and have to get out of the boat. :toothy7: :cheers: :proud: :old_glory:

Custom lengths available.... :lol:

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 pm

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:
Striker543 wrote:What's the difference between the Halogen, Halogen Aircraft, and Quartz Aircraft bulb? Which one is the cheapest and easiest to replace?

Striker,
Check out the Accessories page http://www.light-headed.net/accessories.html The differences are in the description. And there is a great article under the "more" tab http://www.light-headed.net/helpful-links.html
But for simplicity, The main differences between the Quartz Halogen AC Light and the Halogen AC Light is that the Quartz version is rated for 100 hours ($.25/hr), is 140,000 Candlepower and has a circular (7x7) beam pattern

The Halogen is rated for 20 hours ($.40/hr), 110,000 Candlepower and has a rectangle (12 x 6) beam pattern similar to car headlights.

The standard halogens (35, 50 and 100 watt) are the lightweight bulbs($19.99 w/ free shipping). They are the lightest weight solution. However, they are not as durable. They are a great light as long as you don't bang em around. And that really goes for all of them. That's why we include a free fleece light cover. Unfortunately, you do have to change the reflector when the bulb goes out. They are made together and there is no way around it. All you have to do is remove two phillips head screws and swap them out.
Whichever bulb you decide to purchase I highly recommend to buy a spare. The last place you want to be when the bulb goes out is in the woods or on the water.
And as a side note. The standard halogen bulbs do NOT fit on the A/C landing light mounts and visa versa.

Found the article right after I posted lol. Thanks!

I've yet to burn a light out yet because the filament breaks from some sort of impact long before the life of the bulb. Wish there was a way to just replace the bulb and keep the same reflector, but I guess not...

Thanks, Pea - I'll probalby be trying one of your lights when my current one dies.

LIL Maddog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby LIL Maddog » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 pm

We just got ours tonight. I can assure you the quality and attention to detail is all there and then some. We got the Q series bulbs and I can assure you it is brighter than the regular aircraft landing light. We tested them side by side tonight. We were going to take pictures tonight but it is raining so hopefully in a day or two ill post some pics of the differences.

LIL Maddog
Little George Palm Beach "kit hull". IO-540 with a 1.73:1 Stinger gearbox swinging an 81" 3 blade NGR. Real quiet.
Proud Member of USFTH!

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Striker543 wrote:
PeaRiverOpossum wrote:

Striker,

Found the article right after I posted lol. Thanks!

I've yet to burn a light out yet because the filament breaks from some sort of impact long before the life of the bulb. Wish there was a way to just replace the bulb and keep the same reflector, but I guess not...

Thanks, Pea - I'll probalby be trying one of your lights when my current one dies.

No problem. I usually drop or hit mine with the gig handle too. Thats why I carry a spare bulb in the bow. :thumbleft:

mwood7800
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mwood7800 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 pm

talk about something bright and long lasting, take a look at these.
I have always been a fan of the 4509 but this thing is bright, I have one I use for floundering (great underwater) and 2 on my motorcycle. these things are so bright you can't use them in the daylight for running lights without pissing someone off. Led's have come along way just in the past 4 months

https://www.teslaleds.com/default.aspx

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:05 pm

mwood7800 wrote:talk about something bright and long lasting, take a look at these.
I have always been a fan of the 4509 but this thing is bright, I have one I use for floundering (great underwater) and 2 on my motorcycle. these things are so bright you can't use them in the daylight for running lights without pissing someone off. Led's have come along way just in the past 4 months

https://www.teslaleds.com/default.aspx

Thanks for sharing Mwood! Those are definitely awesome. I may look at these a little harder. Yes; LEDs are making leaps and bounds every day. Maybe the price will come down too. $100 each is a little high for a bulb right now. Also, I noticed that they are a flood pattern and most people want spots for running at night. I had a very hard time finding an LED that was a spot and 12 VDC.
Last edited by PeaRiverOpossum on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:06 pm

For those of you on Facebook be sure to like our page
http://www.facebook.com/LightheadedHatLightsLLC

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Ruagatr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 am

We tried 4 lights side by side tonight and the Q4509 was brightest closely followed bythe h4509. The only concern i had was weight since i am used to the tiny lightweight Ultralite. But this Lightheaded setup is really TOP quality. Heavier wiring, nice dimmer (which adds to weight) and very durable. Thanks for making a great product Kenny.
Charles

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 am

Pea, just sent you a pm

billcoon
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby billcoon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:49 am

I was fortunate to get one of the first, have used it twice, ordered 2 more yesterday, best light i have ever used.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:06 am

boatair wrote:I just ordered 2 :thumbleft:

Thanks for the order boatair! :thumbleft: They will go out today.

Return to “Airboat Talk”