RODE HERNANDO FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY!

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

RODE HERNANDO FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY!

Postby HAMMERHEAD » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:58 pm

IVE BEEN RIDING AIRBOATS MY ENTIRE LIFE AND FOR SOME REASON NEVER MADE IT TO HERNANDO TO RIDE. I TOOK A FRIEND AND HIS STEPFATHER WHO IS FROM HOLLAND OUT ON THIER FIRST AIRBOAT RIDE YESTERDAY. IT TURNED OUT TO BE A REALLY COOL PLACE TO RIDE. WE ONLY GOT TO SEE A SMALL PORTION OF THE AREA, BUT IT WAS ENOUGH TO GET ME IN GEAR TO GET BACK SOON WITH A BUNCH OF GAS AND A FULL COOLER AND RIDE THE LOOP. WE MET UP WITH SOME FOLKS WHO LIVE IN THE AREA WHO WERE VERY ACCOMIDATING IN TYPICAL AIRBOAT FASHION, THEY OPENED THIER LAKE FRONT HOME AND OFFERED THIER TIME TO SHOW US AROUND THE TRAILS. HAD MY PASSENGERS NOT HAD TO GO HOME EARLY I WOULD HAVE STAYED TILL DARK. ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT THE TRIP WAS TO SHOW THE FOLKS HOW GREAT AIRBOATERS ARE, TO MEET SOMEONE AND HANG OUT LIKE OLD FRIENDS, BE OFFERED A COLD DRINK, MAKE SURE YOU GOT BACK TO THE RAMP, AND DO ANYTHING IN THIER POWER TO HELP YOU OUT! THATS WHAT AIRBOATING IS ALL ABOUT! NOT TO MENTION THEY LOVED RIDING THE BOATS.
SO WITH THAT SAID CHIPPER AND PHILLIP YALL REPRESENT THE HERNANDO BOYS WELL! ILL BE IN TOUCH WITH YALL TO COME BACK AND HANG OUT.

BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: RODE HERNANDO FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY!

Postby BigJakesrq » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:02 pm

When there is water Hernado is a great place to spend a whole Day riding!

Chipper
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Chipper » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:04 pm

We were glad you all enjoyed it and we look forward to having you all back down when we run the loop on labor day weekend. Hope you can make it down here for that ride. There will be 12-15 boats and maybe more riding with us when we run the LOOP. If you all ever want to come and ride on the weekend sometime then keep in mind we usually ride every weekend so keep in touch with us and we'd love to show you all around our area.
2007 HillBilly Bears 13' U/L ALUMITECH,3/8 Blue Steel Poly, 4.3 Vortec, BRODIX heads, 2.38-1 Stingergear box, 80" Sensenich prop,MSD, Quick Fuel carb that gets the job done

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Got to go to the big spring and then ride the flats for the first time today. Cool place to ride!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby aherr520 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 pm

I have only been there once and am looking forward to going back very soon :)
aaof member

Chipper
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Chipper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Not to gloat but I have been to a lot of places in Florida to ride including Kissimmee and in my opinion our area in Hernando and flying eagle plus the river all combined are by far the best places to ride in Florida.
2007 HillBilly Bears 13' U/L ALUMITECH,3/8 Blue Steel Poly, 4.3 Vortec, BRODIX heads, 2.38-1 Stingergear box, 80" Sensenich prop,MSD, Quick Fuel carb that gets the job done

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby junglecat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Don't realize what we have untill you go ride somewhere else. It is a pretty good area to own an airboat.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

RGE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby RGE » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:49 pm

I am also in Gainesville and haven't been riding in forever because the local lakes are so low.

Where do you launch at? Can you find your way around or do you need someone to show the area? I need to run the boat and I don't think it's too far of a drive. If anyone can give me some info on the area that would be great!

AirHog
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby AirHog » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Several areas to launch. I suggest using the search feature, and doing some reading..... search Hernando, search Pott's preserve, search Inverness, Search Flying Eagle. Look at Google Earth and study the area.

In Hernando, you have a ramp behind the ACE Hardware where Highway 200 and 41 split. Its a great place to launch, and you can usually hook up with a local if you hang out for a little while at the Ramp. Google Ace Hardware in Hernando for a map.

Same Deal in Inverness, you launch off Highway 44 where it comes into Inverness. Ramp is quite visible as you ride 44. Again, if you hang out at the ramp, I am sure someone will show you around.

Finally if you go to the Citrus County Airboat Alliance website, Club Member Bill Johns posts where he is launching, and he will show you around. Great guy to show you around.

Lots of water now, but if you want to see a bunch, you need someone that knows it to show you
Bad decisions make good stories!

RGE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby RGE » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Great info, thanks! I had heard the local lakes were getting some water back but apparently not true. So hopefully I will get to check out the area on Saturday if the weather looks decent.

Edit: The Hernando area looks good and it is the closest. Is there a lot of dry running to get around the area? If anyone is planning on going on Sat and don't mind showing someone around for a little while, let me know.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby junglecat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:49 pm

If you launch at Hernando , there is always someone to hook up with and learn area. There is some dry , but its not bad right now with all the new water.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

RGE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby RGE » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:19 am

So I've been watching some videos of Hernando and some of it looked like quite a bit of dry running as well as some pretty steep hills like the levee. But I don't know if that is further away on the 'loop'?

I have a Jimmy white hull 13'x8' with quick slick (that needs a fresh coat) and a 0520 and 6 blade warp drive and no grass rake. I do OK on dry ground but will most likely have 2 passengers which slows thing down running dry. Think I will do OK leaving from Hernando? How long is the big loop? How much gas is needed or is there any place to get pump gas along the way? Doubt I will be doing the loop, unless I just happen to meet up with someone that is. Guess I will probably bring a spare gas can just in case. Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm prepared.

I have everything I need to hook up a sprayer but have never used one before and doubt it will help on the sand. Might hook it up just to have but I need to find a good surfactant to mix with water which I haven't been able to find anything local. Found something at tractor supply to mix in with herbicides but it didn't seem very slick at all. Guess that is the subject for another thread though.

Thanks for any info anyone might have!

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 450HPFullHouse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:31 am

RGE give me a PM and I will give you my phone number. We are out riding most weekends and would love to show you around and have some fun. I have a few friends running similar setups and they have no problems out there now with the water levels up. We are riding this Saturday and will be meeting some friends at the boat ramp in Hernando.
Alumitec 14'x8', Whites Racing 383 stroker, 2.38-1 stinger, 3 Blade Sensenich R, SS rigging.
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Vice President

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby junglecat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 am

Fullhouse ,what time Saturday? We changed my flywheel to a new JW last night . Starter engages a lot smoother with this flywheel . I think we fixed my starting problems.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54 am

It was nice to meet you as well hammerhead. Been enjoying Hernando for the last 8 years. Still meeting good people out there.

RGE I run a DD caddy on a 14' Alumitech and I can go most place, you should have no trouble. The outfall canal is the only issue for me. With no rake it is kind of steep. The wooden airboat slides are not as steep I take on a little water.

Mike

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 450HPFullHouse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am

JC I think around 10:00 heading out. Buddy from work is bringing his boat and my friend from Jax area is coming. Give me a shout tomorrow.
Alumitec 14'x8', Whites Racing 383 stroker, 2.38-1 stinger, 3 Blade Sensenich R, SS rigging.

InSight
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby InSight » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:11 am

Troy - are you riding on the 18th after the CCAA meeting / party? :toothy7:
15' Diamondback, MAS LS3, OX BOX 2.55.1, 82" 3 Blade Sensenich JX, CCAA member

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 450HPFullHouse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 am

Yes sir!! Should be a great time. Remember a covered dish for party. See ya soon.

dyno dan
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dyno dan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:08 pm

another thing about hernando is you have a 11 pm cerfew dont you ?

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 450HPFullHouse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Yes there is a 11:00pm till 6:00am curfew for Airboats only. We would never come idling back in at 11:05 or so, right dyno... Just plan your time wisely because they have been known to wait for people at the ramp. :violent1:

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby junglecat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Rumor has it that if you stay out too late , the PoPo will send out the hellakapeter after you. Just sayin , don't know this to be still true.

ain't playin
Attachments
2619_71346236494_8069110_n.jpg
2619_71346236494_8069110_n.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby JB550 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Chipper wrote:Not to gloat but I have been to a lot of places in Florida to ride including Kissimmee and in my opinion our area in Hernando and flying eagle plus the river all combined are by far the best places to ride in Florida.

x2 :thumbleft:

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 450HPFullHouse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Nice pic JC!! That bright light in the sky shining down on you is not a UFO!! It's the popo!!

dyno dan
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dyno dan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:08 pm

yes that is true. i know people that have been met at the ramp by the man at cerfew, and i know people will call if they hear an airboat after cerfew.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby junglecat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Its a enlightening experience , or uh so I have been told . I would not know first hand . Just rumors of this .
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

Return to “Airboat Talk”