Running dry....

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
hunter12
Southern Airboat Member

Running dry....

Post by hunter12 »

What are some things to watch for when running dry? obviously jagged rocks would cut up the poly pretty good... Ive talked to and seen many videos of people driving their boat around in the field at their house.... As long as there is a decent grass for the boat to slide is that ok to do? Or will running dry in general tear up your boat after time?

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Running dry....

Post by :) »

Ur Polly pretty much protects the boat. Run on till the poly is done and put a new piece on.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

I bumped up to a stump today moose hunting, stump was in tall grass, just pushed the bow over a tad and went on by it. Our grass up here isn't near as clean as your grass, i reallly have to watch for logs, etc. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Running dry is rough on any boat especially aluminum hulls, but that what makes it a airboat.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

Did ever ride a Hard tail? That's running dry beats you kids if there bumps in the field.

DoubleChateau
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DoubleChateau »

----------------------------------------------------------------------
** 12' Bear hull - 220 GPU/520 Conversion - 72" Power Shift **

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

With no suspension in an airboat your rigging will take a beating too if you are on anything but perfectly smooth flat surfaces so check your welds!
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

hogdoggin
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hogdoggin »

Deer and hogs are what i normally look for :mrgreen:

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

running dry is fine as long as you are willing to keep an eye out for broken welds and such. As was stated there is no suspension in an airboat. You have the prop spinning which adds huge gyroscopic loads that are basically above the calculating ability odf most airboat users. Stuff is gonna get stressed big time when you hit a bump or stump or log as far as the bottom goes .. but stop and think of the load transfer that occurs from the prop instantly changing attitudes(location) ... just be didlgent in your pre-use inspections and post use inspections .. that time spent shooting the breeze on the hill is best spent looking at yuour rigging while you are talking and having others look at your rigging .. never know what you are gonna find broken.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

hunter12
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hunter12 »

Good info.. That all was my stand on it too... Why tear it up if you aint got to.

boswell
Southern Airboat Member

Post by boswell »

Mine has seen a good amount of dry, mainly through the marsh jumping from pond to pond while brushing blinds etc. I have had no issues with broken welds or trouble.

If I didn't want to run dry I would have just gt a Majak or something...

gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gblack15 »

I tell my passengers it is my job to drive the boat your is to stay in. Running dry is what airboating is all about, be safe and stay alert.

Cactus
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cactus »

What you watch out for depends on where you are running. Be sure to watch out for Houses, Parked Cars, Pedestrians, Horses, Cows etc... All of these listed Items will cause major problems if you hit them :violent1:
2006 Robicheaux 16x8 502BB 2:1 Reduction, Spinning a 3 blade Water Walker

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

hunter 12, the biggest thing to watch for is not enough power. its embarassing to be stuck right after saying "WATCH THIS".

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

Watch out for trees!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I hit a pine tree twice (the same one lol) the other day on our long trek across the islands at Seminole

Return to “Airboat Talk”