looking for input...any advice before its done

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
watchyourstep
Southern Airboat Member

looking for input...any advice before its done

Post by watchyourstep » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 pm

The build is going good just lookin for any constructive criticisum before its done
Attachments
IMG_20120829_182947.jpg
IMG_20120829_182947.jpg (148.28 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
IMG_20120823_171434.jpg
IMG_20120823_171434.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
IMG_20120517_182023.jpg
IMG_20120517_182023.jpg (155.52 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
12x7 chuck hawk io-360 5blade warp

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: looking for input...any advice before its done

Post by farmboy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Keep building looks good to me :thumbleft:
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

Gonzo
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gonzo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Looks like your on your way, when you build your own it is a complete experience. Does it look the way you wanted? Is it turning out the way you wanted? #1- YOU HAPPY- **** everybody else! Just a suggestion- after you finish all the MIG welds go back with a cutting tip or rosebud on oxy-ace and cherry all the welds and let stand to ambient cool. It is called normalizing. EMT is the stuff we most use, but it is thin and you make a very hard spot at weld edge. Gonzo

watchyourstep
Southern Airboat Member

Post by watchyourstep » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks alot guys thats y i post here everyones got input its great and yeah i couldnt be more happy its my second build and first ground up build

HALEXP10
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HALEXP10 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm

looks good, the diy part is rewarding, I am about 4 days from my maiden voyage
Cheers,
Alex

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Looks like crap. I will come by and tow it to the scrapyard for ya. Only charge ya $50! :toothy7:
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

Cactus
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cactus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Gonzo wrote:Looks like your on your way, when you build your own it is a complete experience. Does it look the way you wanted? Is it turning out the way you wanted? #1- YOU HAPPY- **** everybody else! Just a suggestion- after you finish all the MIG welds go back with a cutting tip or rosebud on oxy-ace and cherry all the welds and let stand to ambient cool. It is called normalizing. EMT is the stuff we most use, but it is thin and you make a very hard spot at weld edge. Gonzo
Once youve done the above step and get the Weld, Cherry Red, Pour Motor oil on it to cool. It will heat treat it for better wear. It will SMOKE like hell when you do it but thats normal
2006 Robicheaux 16x8 502BB 2:1 Reduction, Spinning a 3 blade Water Walker

Quick Draw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Quick Draw » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 pm

As long as it looks good to you don't worry about anything else I think it looks great.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Quick Draw wrote:As long as it looks good to you don't worry about anything else I think it looks great.
x2 and skinny that must be your boi clown n like that !!
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

RGE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RGE » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Cactus wrote:
Gonzo wrote:Looks like your on your way, when you build your own it is a complete experience. Does it look the way you wanted? Is it turning out the way you wanted? #1- YOU HAPPY- **** everybody else! Just a suggestion- after you finish all the MIG welds go back with a cutting tip or rosebud on oxy-ace and cherry all the welds and let stand to ambient cool. It is called normalizing. EMT is the stuff we most use, but it is thin and you make a very hard spot at weld edge. Gonzo
Once youve done the above step and get the Weld, Cherry Red, Pour Motor oil on it to cool. It will heat treat it for better wear. It will SMOKE like hell when you do it but thats normal
Just curious what this does? Iron has to have so much carbon in it before it is considered steel. And steel has to have a certain amount of carbon before it can be hardened. Typically simple carbon steel is hardened once heated to cherry red (non magnetic) and dunked in oil. I wouldn't think you would want your welds to be harder than the surrounding metal. Heating the weld up and letting it air cool will help relieve internal stresses to a point (normalizing) but it mainly anneals it I think. Holding the steel at 400-500 degrees for a couple hours will temper the steel and relieve internal stresses as well as soften the metal if it was hardened. But each type of steel has it's own heat treating protocol and I'm not sure if conduit or DOM has enough carbon to benefit from any type of heat treating.

I am used to higher carbon alloys so may be wrong. But I think the heating to cherry red and plunging in oil will most likely make it as hard as it will get and not a good idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 pm

good lookin lil ride boat id lighten it up a lil myself maybe smaller rudders looks like 4 footers but lookin good keep it up
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

techelp3215436655
Southern Airboat Member

Post by techelp3215436655 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:52 pm

I think it looks good but I don't see any kind of stiffening in the stand for the bottom to me, bare minimum it should have 1-screw jack on each 'T' bar and 1-jack in front of stand and 1-in back of stand after you get done and run it you might have to put the 3rd jack in the front you can jack bottom and take all porposing out no trim tabs needed, if your not sure how call me airboatdave@gmail.com or free tec8668075354-1-321-543-6655

techelp3215436655
Southern Airboat Member

Post by techelp3215436655 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 pm

you should use 4-rudder bushings in the stand and 4-rudder bushings 2-each rudder airboatdave@gmail.com free tec8668075354 -1-321-543-6655 call me.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:06 am

dont need jacks in a step hull if the bottoms is right and if it isnt it needs to be made right
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Larry
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Larry » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:19 am

The only thing that I see that I would question is the distance between the front mounts and the side/x braces. I have seen alot of cracked stands in that area and that is alot of room with no support. Remember that all the motors thrust is basically through those from mounts.

RAISEDnGLADES
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RAISEDnGLADES » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 am

I say put an 8 cylinder Contenintal on it and drop the operator seat to the floor!!! :mrgreen: :thumbleft: :salute: :rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
12 x 7 Chuck Hawk
4.3L Astro Van engine

Cactus
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cactus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:09 am

RGE wrote:
Cactus wrote:
Just curious what this does? Iron has to have so much carbon in it before it is considered steel. And steel has to have a certain amount of carbon before it can be hardened. Typically simple carbon steel is hardened once heated to cherry red (non magnetic) and dunked in oil. I wouldn't think you would want your welds to be harder than the surrounding metal. Heating the weld up and letting it air cool will help relieve internal stresses to a point (normalizing) but it mainly anneals it I think. Holding the steel at 400-500 degrees for a couple hours will temper the steel and relieve internal stresses as well as soften the metal if it was hardened. But each type of steel has it's own heat treating protocol and I'm not sure if conduit or DOM has enough carbon to benefit from any type of heat treating.

I am used to higher carbon alloys so may be wrong. But I think the heating to cherry red and plunging in oil will most likely make it as hard as it will get and not a good idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have been a Profesional Welder for 30 Years. I am ceritfied on every Alloy. A Weld will Stress itself for up to 5 years. Also, A Weld is only as strong as the Thinnest peice of Metal. The Engineer I use is Dr. Lee Guice out of Longveiw Tx. He is the GURU in the US for Heat Transfer and the Effects of Heat Tempering. I AM NO ENGINEER. However, according to him, Quenching in an Oil Bath will strengthen ANY weld against it's own self. Whether it is Stainless, Hastalloy, Inconel, Monel, or just plain ole Carbon Steel. I couldn't tell you the Scientific Data on how it works. Thats why I pay him. What I can tell you is this. It WORKS on ALL Metals. I have done it. :rebel: :rebel: :texas:
2006 Robicheaux 16x8 502BB 2:1 Reduction, Spinning a 3 blade Water Walker

fulldeck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fulldeck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:47 pm

quit playing with that 4 banger , i wan't to see my old 8 cyl together. but until then the 4 looks good.

watchyourstep
Southern Airboat Member

Post by watchyourstep » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Haha i know i know im on it this ones gunna run cheap

Return to “Airboat Talk”