Remembering when - Hatchineha

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Blownaway540
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Remembering when - Hatchineha

Post by Blownaway540 »

Just a trip down memory lane, 25 - 30 years ago @ Hatchineha. - Sat. night races on Little BS hill, so many boats would line up, hill was full, if anyone has any pictures of this or other in this post PLEASE put them up. Then the Law "reconfigured" the hill, which made it impossible to race anymore. The Yatch club- That dock they had was top of the line, huge, How many boats hit or came close to their horseshoe stake @ south end of property? The big pontoon boat w/concrete pontoons that blew up on shore on the east side during a storm , North of canal to Kiss.,was a great place to get out of the way of storms, someone burned it down. The oaks just down from Gator Cove where that huge multi trunk tree fell, we had firewood for years. Between the opening to Gardners and Gator Cove there was a really nice Man named Buddy who had a great cabin on the point, someone burned him out also, have often wondered what happend to him? As posted on here before - Sneaking into Gardners @ night, just hoping we could find our way back out (no GPS then) and that the Game Warden would not come after us, if they did the race was on, they mostly had carmotor boats then and were easy to overheat. Robert - the African American Game Warden that patrolled out there @ night by himself and his Assault rifle, nicest guy you could meet. The Restaurant on the west end, food was good and they welcomed us all. Camp Lester when they liked us. Please add any memories you may have, as the times get worse, its good to remember the "better" days. If I do not get to much criticism on this post I will do some on Cypress, and Kiss.
IGSO 0540 (W/out IG) built by the late, great, Dick Hoffman, 13 ft. Alumitech. Member - CRA, KRVSA
gruprgetr
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Remembering when - Hatchineha

Post by gruprgetr »

man you must be a ol cat
billy lambs camp
pontoon camp(doug richards) made the richards hull in cambell station(cambell city) in the richards trailer park dang near behind billy lambs house
bill taylor made corvair airboats
buddy lunsfords camp just n of the yacht club
doc fays house boat @ YC
then if the walls in the yacht club could talk
camps all burned down by the #$##$# well we'll just let that pass
ride over to hatch rest for them BIG platers o catfish an grits
MAN LIFE WAS GOOD (still is just slower and exspensive)
got to ride in "Roberts" boat a couple times( hard to outrun him in a jonboat w/3 hp kicker)

this thread needs to move to a fire and a cooler full of cold beer :cheers: :salute: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :florida:
(SWAMP GAS)
IF YOU PISS SOMEONE OFF MEANS THEY HEARD YOU
AIRBOATS DONT SPREAD HYDRILLA

AIRBOATS DONT CAUSE ANIMOSITY- PEOPLE DO!!
PROTECT YOUR FUTURE WEAR A PFD AND VOTE!!
on a dark calm night ya can hear the cryaker scratchin on your poly
SouthernSparkler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SouthernSparkler »

25 years ago. Not sure where this pic was taken. Either the hill or ridge.
Attachments
This was about 25 years ago. My Dad used to race on BS Hill.
This was about 25 years ago. My Dad used to race on BS Hill.
10217_1142599480966_3127839_n.jpeg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
I'm what Willis was talkin' about
radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radialman66 »

I miss those days. Looking back now, gardner was more fun when it was illegal. Just sayin. Ocseolo county deputies were rough. Spent plenty money at the ocseola coarthouse! Lol. :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: Remember the old stilt house on rabbit island, in kissimme? There was always a light on at night and we used it as beacon.
"let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees" General Stonewall Jacksons last words.

KRVSA member.
fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

I love nothing more but to sit here and read all of this history about the place I love. Does anybody know the truth on how the milk bus got there or how long it's been there? I sat at the bus this past sunday trying to imagine all the places this vehicle has been just fascinates me. Any info would greatly appreciated! This is the kind of post that we should be reading every day on here LoL :florida: :rebel:
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2011 Al David / AV 540
Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Waggs »

fl cracker wrote:I love nothing more but to sit here and read all of this history about the place I love. Does anybody know the truth on how the milk bus got there or how long it's been there? I sat at the bus this past sunday trying to imagine all the places this vehicle has been just fascinates me. Any info would greatly appreciated! This is the kind of post that we should be reading every day on here LoL :florida: :rebel:

X2 Mark. If every post on here was like this it would be great. I've heard a lot of stories of old from my kin who used to run a lot out there.

I was told the edges of the lake had white sand every where, instead of black mud created of decaying plant life from the constant rise and fall of the water levels because of "Water Management"
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO
Boxman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Boxman »

Milk Bus has been there since 1952. Big artical in the "airboating magazine" september/october issue.
pretty neat story if you haven't read it.
Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Waggs »

Bump. Want to hear more about the chain. At least there will be some interesting reading on here.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO
flash
Southern Airboat Member

Post by flash »

Over at the Garcia marsh,,,use to be a school bus on the zig zag canal dike off 512.......poker games and rain refuge.... 8)
Gun control is not about Guns, it's about CONTROL!
USMC---ALWAYS FAITHFUL
'Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither' ...ol BEN
bluegillmaster
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bluegillmaster »

Those were the Days! The stilt house on Rabbit was built by my Grandfather, Martin (Pot) Chitwood and Billy Prentiss. I was just a kid but helped out quite a bit. I remember killing rabbits by the hundreds and selling them at Scotties Fish Camp on Toho. Billy Lamb is my father in law and I helped put his camp on the ridge of Hatch, it was a 32' Spartan Mansion mobile home, all aluminun. Drew Kelly pulled it thru the woods with his huge 8 wheeled 4x4 tractor. Billy, his son Glenn and myself, along with some others followed in 4x4 trucks pulling trailers with materials to block it up and build the porch. Billy Lamb and his brother Milton drilled the wells at the yacht club and one at his camp. We spent many hours running Gardner, Dead River, Cypress, Hatch and Kissimmee. Years ago it was nothing to gig 50 to 100 lbs. of nice sized frogs a night, and alot of those nights you may not even hear another boat, but when you did you most likely knew them. I remember Doug Richards and his dad, Bill, deciding to design and build their own boat. They built it in a shed at Richard's Trailer Court, owned by Bill Richards. Doug and I are very good friends, he still owns prperty here but lives in Alabama. I remember Bill Taylor very well, he hung out at Billy's a lot. I bought my first airboat from Buddy Lunsford, it was the last metal sled built by Billy Lamb. It had an 85hp Cont. on it. You rode for 20 minutes and drained it for 30, but it sure was a blast. Paid $600.00 for it. I helped Billy in the design /buld of the plug and mold for his 13' boat. We took one of his 10' boats, cut it down the middle, widened and lengthend it for the plug. I put that boat back together, built new metal work, installed my 85 Cont. and rode it for about a year. I then built one of the 13' boats and put a E185 on it I bought from Dick Hoffman, $600.00 complete less starter and still airworthy. YES, THOSE WERE THE DAYS, and of course, $.32 per gallon of HIGH TEST NON ETHENOL LEADED gasoline. This thread brings back lots of memories, including Doyle Laniers camp, it was between Billy's and Buddy's camps. Things have surley changed, some for the better and some for the worse.
radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radialman66 »

The 04 hurricanes finished off the rabbit island stilt house. But there is still an old car and house boat there. Always wondered how they got that car on that island and why. :rebel:
"let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees" General Stonewall Jacksons last words.

KRVSA member.
SouthernSparkler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SouthernSparkler »

I was talking to my Dad today and he was telling me that a long time ago the marsh wasn't state owned and that property owners hated airboats so they would chase you down and throw chains thru your props. He said you didn't enter the marsh unless you had a convoy of airboats. I love sitting around listening to my Dad tell stories of the "good ole days"
I'm what Willis was talkin' about
SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid »

I was born and raised in Manchester, Kentucky, Clay County, and in the mid 60's a guy by the name of Carl "Punie" Maggard moved to Kenasville. He had 2 sons Harold and Carl Ray Maggard and I can remember my late ex father inlaw telling me Punie had bought a Island on Lake Kissimmee and it was called Rabbit Island. I can remember them talking about building Pontoon or raft's to haul Cattle and supplys to it. Some of you may know them, I'm sure Punie is dead, but I hear his son' are still in Fl somewhere. I sure would like to talk to them. I barely remember seeing the boys, but I knew Punie. How cool would it be now to own a Island in Lake Kissimmee!
bluegillmaster
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bluegillmaster »

Pat Johnson used to own Bird island I belive. Gardner was owned by Irlo Bronson 30 or so years ago. I rode and frogged in Gardner all the time as did Billy Lamb, Buddy Lunsford, Doyle Lanier, Doug Richards, Glenn Lamb, Charles Lamb just to name a few. Never had anyone chase us or tell us we could not ride in there. Billy Lamb built an airboat for Drew Kelly, Irlos grandson, but we rode in there prior to that, and as stated in a previous posting, Drew pulled our camp trailer to the ridge. Billy also built airboats for the Chandlers who owned property on the west side of lake Cypress/Hatch. Now their property is State owned also. Many, many years ago Billy owned one of the stilt camps at the landing on Lake Cypress. We used to put in there all the time, but from what I understand all that is gone.
radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radialman66 »

bluegillmaster wrote:Pat Johnson used to own Bird island I belive. Gardner was owned by Irlo Bronson 30 or so years ago. I rode and frogged in Gardner all the time as did Billy Lamb, Buddy Lunsford, Doyle Lanier, Doug Richards, Glenn Lamb, Charles Lamb just to name a few. Never had anyone chase us or tell us we could not ride in there. Billy Lamb built an airboat for Drew Kelly, Irlos grandson, but we rode in there prior to that, and as stated in a previous posting, Drew pulled our camp trailer to the ridge. Billy also built airboats for the Chandlers who owned property on the west side of lake Cypress/Hatch. Now their property is State owned also. Many, many years ago Billy owned one of the stilt camps at the landing on Lake Cypress. We used to put in there all the time, but from what I understand all that is gone.
There is also camp remains on bird island. What appears to be the four legs of a wind mill, pilings, and alot of old pull tab budweiser cans. And remains of old dock. :rebel:

KRVSA member.
bluegillmaster
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bluegillmaster »

Correction to previous post. I posted last night that the stilt camp on Rabbitt Island was built by my Grandfather, I had my islands wrong, it was Bird Island. The four legs mentioned in the above post had a large tank mounted on it for water storage. Pappy used a gasoline pump to fill the tank and we then had running water, also got a little heat from the sun, showers weren't quite so cold. Pappy always drank Busch. He would tell me to "git me another Busch Apple outa the cooler boy", sure would love to hear him tell me that again. The camp had a kitchen with table to eat at, a large main room with chairs and couches. Two seperate bedrooms and a bathroom. Pappy and Billy Prentiss built the dock for when they brought cows to and from the island on an old barge. They both also had kicker boats at the time, not airboats. I remember when Pappy lost his lease on the island, after they removed all their cows, my uncle Butch, brother in law Glenn Lamb and myself, took our dogs and caught three very nice hogs. That was the last time I was ever on the island. Not long after that I heard the camp was burned to the ground. Man, reading these posts have really got the memories kickin, keep em coming, a wonderful trip down memory lane.
radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radialman66 »

bluegillmaster wrote:Correction to previous post. I posted last night that the stilt camp on Rabbitt Island was built by my Grandfather, I had my islands wrong, it was Bird Island. The four legs mentioned in the above post had a large tank mounted on it for water storage. Pappy used a gasoline pump to fill the tank and we then had running water, also got a little heat from the sun, showers weren't quite so cold. Pappy always drank Busch. He would tell me to "git me another Busch Apple outa the cooler boy", sure would love to hear him tell me that again. The camp had a kitchen with table to eat at, a large main room with chairs and couches. Two seperate bedrooms and a bathroom. Pappy and Billy Prentiss built the dock for when they brought cows to and from the island on an old barge. They both also had kicker boats at the time, not airboats. I remember when Pappy lost his lease on the island, after they removed all their cows, my uncle Butch, brother in law Glenn Lamb and myself, took our dogs and caught three very nice hogs. That was the last time I was ever on the island. Not long after that I heard the camp was burned to the ground. Man, reading these posts have really got the memories kickin, keep em coming, a wonderful trip down memory lane.

What years are we talking.

KRVSA member.
bluegillmaster
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bluegillmaster »

Grandpa built the camp in the early to mid 60's I think, I got married in 71, so he lost his lease around 73 or 74 I believe. Been a long time, hard to remember dates. Billy Lamb put the trailer on the ridge around 72 to 74. Basing my dates on when I had my 13' Lamb hull with an E-185, sure wish I had that boat now.
Blownaway540
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Blownaway540 »

Resurrecting this old thread for the ones whom have never read it and maybe some new memories.
IGSO 0540 (W/out IG) built by the late, great, Dick Hoffman, 13 ft. Alumitech. Member - CRA, KRVSA
JLP3314
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JLP3314 »

There's so...much history there, I also love hearing the stories on the chain.

I was blessed to have been an active KRVSA club member for 6 of the best years of my life, (also spent those 6 years living in Bartow and many rides on the chain). Big Gobbler took me to a few places I'm pretty sure few men have ever seen, (or remember) and gotta' say it's sad to see those "landmarks" slowly disappearing.

Did I miss it above-or did the story of the Yacht Club get told here.
I'll grab a cold drink and pull up a chair for this thread for sure.
Don't waste your time-its the only thing you can't get back, (Cntry141IQ/John had another thousand of these before he went sliding into the sky). :-(
lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

Really enjoy hearing about the past. Please share more if anyone has anything.
Dying_breed
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dying_breed »

X2

Return to “Airboat Talk”