Citrus Airboat Alliance - Hot Dog Island

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
alligatorplace
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Citrus Airboat Alliance - Hot Dog Island

Post by alligatorplace »

On last weekend's ride I was told that the Airboat Alliance either got permission to build - or - asked an agency to build some type of covered cooking and seating area on Hot Dog Island? It was in cross talk between a bunch of us, and I dont recall who I heard say it. Is this true? If so please post or send me some information about it.

Thanks

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Citrus Airboat Alliance - Hot Dog Island

Post by JB550 »

I saw the same thing on their ccaa website. Guess they didnt want to try to put 12 people under my little pop up cover again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 450HPFullHouse »

Yeah it is in the works. Remember guys our meeting this Sat. at Armantes. The meeting is going to be at noon with the Octoberfest starting at 1:00. We had a ton of people last year so lets try and beat it this year. Tons of food and some fun games.
Alumitec 14'x8', Whites Racing 383 stroker, 2.38-1 stinger, 3 Blade Sensenich R, SS rigging.
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Vice President

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

Hey 450 let's see what that new boat look's like :thumbleft:

dyno dan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dyno dan »

rick what happened to you last wkend? we missed you. dan

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

brakes locked up on one wrecker lost 4th gear on the other its been a work weekend for me hope yall had a good time send some pics hope to be back out with yall sone :salute:

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

Like Fullhouse said its in the works with SWFTMD. There will be a shelter and a bathroom and handpump well. All will be done thru an agreement with SWFTMD and the CCAA. That way there will be a picnic area in Potts and south in the Eagle area.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

JB550 , How's the new boat going along.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

Check out the build thread. It will be done in 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. see ya then

DoubleChateau
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DoubleChateau »

I guess CCAA think they speak for all of us. Goodbye to untouched nature in the middle of a beautiful swamp. :angry5:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
** 12' Bear hull - 220 GPU/520 Conversion - 72" Power Shift **

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 450HPFullHouse »

Not sure how the CCAA is going to distroy nature?????? We have monthly meetings to talk about things like this. This is the first time anyone has said this is not a good thing. :scratch: Thought we were all here to benefit the Airboat community as a hole.
Alumitec 14'x8', Whites Racing 383 stroker, 2.38-1 stinger, 3 Blade Sensenich R, SS rigging.

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 450HPFullHouse »

Rick the boat is coming along slow but will try and get some pics up soon. Larry and I are going to set the motor in tomorrow and then off to get the cage built. Taking time and doing everything right. Should not be too much longer and yes you can drive it up the outfall and put some water in it! :thumbleft: :cheers:

DoubleChateau
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DoubleChateau »

450HPFullHouse wrote:Not sure how the CCAA is going to distroy nature?????? We have monthly meetings to talk about things like this. This is the first time anyone has said this is not a good thing. :scratch: Thought we were all here to benefit the Airboat community as a hole.
I'm not a CCAA member, therefore I am not aware of any of this - I just saw the post. As a matter of fact, CCAA is probably a very small percentage of the total users of that area. I don't know how you would poll all of the users of that land (assuming you desired) to find out what the "true majority" would want, but I would bet less than more would want to have structures built on the island. Since it is public use land, why not post the details so at least those who use SA could see. As for the rest of the local community, I really don't have a suggestion for getting the word out to them.

"Distroy nature" - I didn't say destroy nature, I said "Goodbye to untouched nature..." and stand by that. Any permanent structure transforms it's natural setting.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

the request came from the Floral City area members since there was shelter and picnic area in the north. Its for general use for everyone. The CCAA has to lease the island from SWFTMD, they are not going to work with individuals only organizations. Prior to the relationship between SWFTMD and CCAA ,all riding in the Eagle was off limits , all riding in Potts was off limits, there were no slides to get around roads and locks and dams. I would say that CCAA as done more good for airboating in Citrus county than harm.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Post by highlife57 »

X2 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

swamp sniper
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamp sniper »

if someone is not involved in any efforts to better something are they allowed to complain about it? or does it fall on deaf ear and make them look silly? Im confused.

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

A little shelter from storm, restroom bet the girl's wood like that rather than being droped off on a dry patch of land when they need a private moment and buzed by boat's.

DoubleChateau
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DoubleChateau »

Interesting, so because I'm not a CCAA member, I have no say in what is done on public use lands owned by the state/county that I live in? Well, thank you all for taking care of ME! I guess my tax dollars aren't enough or don't afford me any rights, and I have to join every club that wants to band together and do what they want. Sorry for assuming I could voice my opinion about an issue that I just was made aware of in this safe environment among fellow airboaters.

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 450HPFullHouse »

The land is owned by Swift Mud and by us having a lease on the island that allows us legal access to the land. Prior to this people are trespassing on their land by driving a airboat up in the trees and parking above the high water line. Come to the meeting on Saturday and let your concerns be know. Armantes on 200 at 12:00. Not trying to be rude but was not aware of people not wanting a place to go and hang out like we have in Potts. For years members from that area have been begging for something.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

A little history about the CCAA, it was created to improve and guarantee air boater’s rights. In the 80’s and early 90’s the very marshes and swamps you ride today were off limits. You could ride the open lakes and canals, or run river north or choose south. Potts was off limits (ticket FWC) Eagle (ticket FWC), cross a road to get around canal locks (ticket Citrus SO) cross Hwy 44 (ticket and free trip to jail courtesy of the FHP). You were land locked into whatever body of water you launched in. If you pulled your boat up on any piece of land you were subject for a ticket.
The word “alliance” was chosen because this was a war for airboating rights. We did not care what walk of life you came from ,what kind of boat you had, hell, we did not care if you own an airboat, we wanted soldiers in this fight. We did not choose the word” club” because this was not an elitist social event. Many tickets and lawyer fees and court dates were paid out of the legal funds of the CCAA. Nonmembers who had been ticketed joined and their tickets fought. They threw curfews and sound ordinances at us but the battle continued. This was the battle to open up these waterways that we all ride today, member or nonmember. These were the waterways, that as taxpayers we were being denied. Negative articles in the paper were written about airboating. There was a movement to ban them in Citrus County. The CCAA quickly learned that when dealing with bureaucrats and politicians, how many VOTES you represented was all that mattered. A single voice would never be heard. I know, myself and a few others went to SWFTMD quarterly meeting and were given 1 minute to express our opinion on these matters. The CCAA had the Coast Guard Auxiliary inspect and decal our boats. This helped with creative tickets and court cases. It was many long battles to be able to ride where we ride today, fought for every taxpayer not just airboaters. The first to open was Potts, followed by Flying Eagle. Soon there were slides to get around the locks and dam and running the loop became legal for the first time. It’s a lot more relaxing not having to worry about the Po Po man.
The CCAA does not think it is the sole voice of the waterways, but rather an organized voice representing many. As long as we have numbers we have a voice. The battles continue today, Feds just took air boat swallow water passage thru Chaz. away from us. Now air boats will have to run same channel as larger, deeper drafting boats. Is the CCAA always going to be right, probably not but they try to represent the most voices.
I know the history of the CCAA , because myself and Six others met one night and created it. We were tired of getting tickets and looking at the best marsh and swamps being off limits, that were purchased with taxpayer money. We wanted to make a difference. We wanted to be heard. We wanted the right to slide on our lands.
So before we bash the CCAA lets learn a little about them. Everyone there is more than happy to hear any air boaters opinions or beliefs. We are all fighting the same fight , wanting the same rights. Your opinion maybe a side the Alliance has not heard and would respect. I was out of the Alliance for a long time raising a family and an airboat was not in budget or the time . I am proud to be a member again and see how much it has grown and what they have accomplished. The Alliance was led by some good airboating families. I think now , we are all older , want to pass along the thrill to others , kids , grandkids and the addition of picnic areas just helps to add to their experience.
Double, I met you and Buzz (Keith) at Hotdog Island and I know you would like most of the folks in the alliance. They want the same thing you do. I would personally be proud if y’all would join the CCAA, and I promise your voice will be heard.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

bushnellboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bushnellboy »

well what people is that, a shelter would be nice but not there, leave the island alone, or i quess we can start calling hot dog shelter, or hot dog park, or who gave the right to speak for everyone park. leave the damn island alone find a more mainland site for you contribution to nature. :banghead:

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

well what people is that, a shelter would be nice but not there, leave the island alone, or i quess we can start calling hot dog shelter, or hot dog park, or who gave the right to speak for everyone park. leave the damn island alone find a more mainland site for you contribution to nature.

Legally you cannot pull your boat onto Hotdog Isand without the lease the CCAA is getting with SWFTMD. You are subject to a ticket that you will lose, if charged (I KNOW). The CCAA does not chose the site , SWFTMD does . I hardly think SWFTMD is going to open a piece of mainland up to traffic. These are management areas and the issue of tresspassing , illegal hunting , all come into play.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

450HPFullHouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 450HPFullHouse »

Jungle Cat is 100% right!!! You park up in that island you are trespassing on private land!! There are all types of legal issues along with being on that property without permission.

bushnellboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bushnellboy »

i don't think anybody is doubting that ccaa wasn,t done some very good things, some people just like being spoken for, it is public land belonging to everyone, and everyone has thier opinion, and i think if you cast your lines out a futher , theres going to be a whole lot more people that don't want hot island to be altered in anyway. i'm all for the lease, but against building anything on it, but thank you for all the ccaa has done

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

Everything is portable and can be removed . Its all about a little comfort for the ladies and kids. We just weathered a storm a couple weeks back at the shelter in Potts , its nice to not get soaked. No one is trying to speak for anyone else , we will be glad to let you do that for yourself . This Saturday at Armante's is Octoberfest and the CCAA is meeting there. The owner is a member, and we would like to invite everyone that runs Citrus County,the Tsala Apopka chain and the River to join us. You may have an issue or idea that the alliance has not heard , please come voice it.

WARNING: You may like us and want to join. The larger our numbers are the more likely all our voices will be heard .

P.S. I was raised in Bushnell.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

Return to “Airboat Talk”