REAL AIRBOATERS

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: REAL AIRBOATERS

Postby keebo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Had to share this one. Norman had some stories for sure.
Last edited by keebo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 pm

This is a VERY STRONG THREAD, and this and people that are posting here are the reasons I originally came to SA. There are indeed some real airboaters right here amongst us today, and I suspect they are rearing the next generation to take over and make them proud of their sons and daughters. Being a legend seems like its a lifetime achievement award bestowed by others upon those who didn't ask for it. I think we see them every day and don't recognize them. Real airboaters and legends are being made every day.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

ronbacardi
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ronbacardi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:06 pm

[quote="cowboy"]Hey Ron,
See my reply's below your 2 cent's below..

[quote="ronbacardi"]Cowboy,

glades cat says "we should strive to earn" the title of a real airboater. I don't know. Does a soldier "strive" to protect his brothers in a firefight, or does he do what just comes natural to him?
I can't say for certain what Gladescat meant for sure. I reckon he meant we should all follow our Hero's example that they set for us.
Be they Airboaters, Soldiers, Mentors....

I did not intend to call out glades cat over the choise of the word "strive". After thinking of that word in other contexts, I made a mistake. I was looking at it as strive to save money, strive to get a better job, which I saw as putting forth some effort, but now I understand glades cat's meaning. When I am wrong, I will be the first one to call it. :salute:

buckshotbob
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI
Location: Jupiter, Fl (currently living in North Carolina - Mountains)

Postby buckshotbob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:25 pm

GatorTrapperSLC wrote:Well here's my two cents................ Real airboaters are everywhere. We are stewards of the lands and waters we ride, we take out what we bring in, leaving a small foot print. We offer our help to others even when they don't ask, often giving away our last few gallons of gas or the spare parts we carry. We don't steal or take what isn't ours, we don't destroy others hard work, but offer to help fix it when others do. We treat others with respect when it is earned and only ask for the same in return. I don't believe being a true airboater has anything to do with how many hours you put on your boat, it is what you do while logging those hours that really counts. We come from all walks of life, but we share the same passion. I could keep going forever but you get the point.

:salute: :salute: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
Buckshot Bob
B TRP 1-32 1 BCT 101st AASLT

coondog123
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby coondog123 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

To become REAL in any of life's endeavors is something special. To be that real husband, to be that real father, or to be that real air boater comes after your passion is tempered with experience which molds you into a person that is not only confident in what you do but one that hopefully GIVES BACK. The title REAL never sticks without a willingness to share the passion and help others learn about the passion that drives you.

Lots of Helpful people here and congrat on being the real deal.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Ron,
Your comment was well-received. I totally got your reference to a soldier in combat. Our comments are from the heart and are expressed with passion for the history it represents.

Whitebear,
I too feel positive about the generations that follow and see many young airboaters being taught and indoctrinated correctly.
They are hungry to learn and desire to "do the right thing".
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Davie GSO480
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Davie GSO480 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Donald Onstad
Proud member of the Airboat Association of Florida.
A Miami Landmark sense 1951
http://www.aaof.com

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Subject: REAL AIRBOATERS

Davie GSO480 wrote:Image
Donald Onstad

Never spent any time with Mr. Onstad, but that man has earned a lot of respect from those that know airboating. No doubt in my mind that he is the real deal when it comes to airboating.

Rick

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:25 pm

GatorTrapperSLC wrote:Well here's my two cents................ Real airboaters are everywhere. We are stewards of the lands and waters we ride, we take out what we bring in, leaving a small foot print. We offer our help to others even when they don't ask, often giving away our last few gallons of gas or the spare parts we carry. We don't steal or take what isn't ours, we don't destroy others hard work, but offer to help fix it when others do. We treat others with respect when it is earned and only ask for the same in return. I don't believe being a true airboater has anything to do with how many hours you put on your boat, it is what you do while logging those hours that really counts. We come from all walks of life, but we share the same passion. I could keep going forever but you get the point.

another well put post
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby farmboy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Very well put :thumbleft: very good post...
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:41 pm

rick wrote: Never spent any time with Mr. Onstad, but that man has earned a lot of respect from those that know airboating. No doubt in my mind that he is the real deal when it comes to airboating.
Rick

Donnie is the real deal, Rick. I like the man too ...... he's got a way about him that's easy to be around.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

airboatchris
Southern Airboat Member

Postby airboatchris » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:56 pm

I believe a real airboater is mixture of things. And not something you just learn. One side of it is ability and being able to fix you're boat cause you built it . The other side is being able to stop and help the guy with the store bought boat not because you have to but because it's the right thing to do.
Tiara 285A on a 14ft lazer

Gangreen
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gangreen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Frank Lloyd is another real airboater. AKA Gator is and was known around East Lake to airboat like alot of us all night long. Words that came out of his mouth was "there are those that have sunk'em and those that will. He always said that everyone thinks their boat is the best thing on the lake. He also said something that made as much sense as Dave at Water Thunder always says. It takes cubic dollars to make an airboat fast.

kajunoutlaw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby kajunoutlaw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 pm

I wish I could just be a fly on the wall and listen to some of the great stories these Pioneers have. There is a lot that could be learned.
Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

g1moore1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby g1moore1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 pm

My 1 cents worth: Basically what it boils down to is these were/are real men, airboat or not. Family values, genuine morals, respect for the land, and most of all God. Most of the so called men/metro/liberal/and whatever else pussified classifications of men we have today are why this country is going to hell before we know it. I just hope we men of today can keep alive in our children what values are left of a dying breed that's all but destined to be extinct. As far as a Real Airboater I wouldn't consider myself one by far as for probably 90% of members on this site to. Much respect for the gladesmen and real airboaters that had to live that lifestyle to survive.

Gerald
Jeffords/520 on a 13' Gilileo/Phillips hull. Running a 72" WT narrow. (Needs bigger prop now)

http://WWW.USFTH.COM

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 am

I think we are drawn to these men because they are truly good people,,They started when u had to build your boat not buy it at a store; Their talented self sufficent men that respect others and cherrish the land a way of life and all it has to offer, Not caught up n the bigger better faster that seems to engulf most. I would hope theres alittle of these men in all of us or I"m afraid we as whole we"re headed the down the wrong Path!!

fulldeck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fulldeck » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:18 am

have ya been in the marsh siting and enjoying the senery, and a boat goes by and turns around to see if your ok. you just met a real airboater. have ya seen a boat with full trash bags heading in with other peoples trash. you just seen a real airboater. have ya seen a airboat parked so he would not blow another boat or camp when he leaves. you saw a real airboater. if ya see an airboater shake his head in discust because some rat basterd that dosen't love the land or respect it and all that use it. you saw a real airboater. and if ya really got to ask what a real airboater is then you apparently aren't one. sorry for your loss.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:22 am

Yup.
I posted from the get go what I believe a Real Airboater is.
I was curious to hear what other Airboaters had to say on the subject.

Thanks for posting it up

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Davie GSO480 wrote:Image
Donald Onstad

Yea, Donny has been a mentor to me and my boys. He's the real deal.
He's got more stick time on his left foot than I will ever have with all my appendages.
He's also a brother fireman and is all about serving others.
Go Willie Haggard :cheers:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:22 pm

"BUMP"

While browsing some old posts, I stumbled across this post started by Cowboy a few years ago. I felt the need to bring this post to light again. In one of my last trips to Kissimmee a month or so ago, I was reminded how the culture has changed, not necessarily for the better. In addition to picking up trash at the Glory Hole Pavilion, and again at Square Pond, I had the displeasure of having the crap blown out of me and my boat (along with several other boats) at the Milk Bus, by a younger fellow in what I would consider a high dollar rig (LS power, gear box, fancy paint). He came in hot, drove between several boats that were parked in the grass, blew the crap out of everyone's boat along with everyone sitting at the pavilion. To make matters worse, when he and his buddy left, they blew everyone again when they took off wide azz open, instead of easing back into the lake. The only reason I mention the type of boat is because I got the impression he was showing everyone he had the baddest boat on the planet. My Son is new to airboating, and if I ever saw him do that, it would get real ugly between him and I. I'm hoping by bumping this post back to the top, it may reach a few more folks, and educate them on what most consider "real airboaters"
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby helicsher » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:16 am

If you want to see a real airboater
Turn your phone off or your computer
Hook your boat up to your truck
Drive out to holiday park and get your ass in the water
When I drive by with the stick in one hand and a beer in the other and all 6 cylinders screaming with a big smile on my face and a thumbs up
You can say there goes a real airboater !
"Success Requires No Excuses"

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:35 pm

My father was a woodsmen and an Airboater from the 1950's to early 70's. Every morning before school my brother and I had to clean all the frogs he caught and get them iced down for he could take them to the fish market before he could go out again. We would have his airboat clean and the fuel topped off and oil added. When I got married in 1978 my wife asked what my father did. I ran all the things up in my head and summed it up in one word. An Outlaw. Steven.
Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War.

90chevy396
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 90chevy396 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:43 am

A real nice thread to see pop up as I did not see it the first go round! Brings back them wonderful memories of my grandfather here in Brevard county running the saint johns every week until the new generation came in with their high dollar boats running around all day messing with the hunting in the area and caused him to spend most of his last years huntin in north florida or in south Georgia where he could still find peaceful wilderness. we used to spend countless hours prepping camp and cleaning up the surrounding areas until I was about to go to college and when I returned to find that he had gone from putting over 100 hours on the boat per year to less than 20 due to the commotion around the lake and headed to the north for his serenity in the northern woods it broke my heart because I knew that he had a love for this land and to find an airboater like him on the water these days has come few and far between.
real airboater James Paul Hayward aka Jim Hayward you will always be missed
13' LASER W/455 BUICK DD SINGLE FRONT DOUBLE REAR WHIRL WIND PROPELLER

gruprgetr
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby gruprgetr » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:56 am

HuntingBigun wrote:I always thought you had to be a gladesmen first to be a real airboater, so I just have to be happy being me, 8) 8)

not all Gladesmen were Airboaters

:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :cheers: :cheers: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :florida: :proud:
(SWAMP GAS)
IF YOU PISS SOMEONE OFF MEANS THEY HEARD YOU
AIRBOATS DONT SPREAD HYDRILLA

AIRBOATS DONT CAUSE ANIMOSITY- PEOPLE DO!!
PROTECT YOUR FUTURE WEAR A PFD AND VOTE!!
on a dark calm night ya can hear the cryaker scratchin on your poly

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:33 am

That is true that some of Gladesmen were not airboaters. The Gladesmen like my Dad's older friends poled Canoes through the Glades to make a living for there family or ran catfish lines from small boats and were on foot to run their trapping lines. The 1960's and the price and demand of frog legs and fish from yankee's from up north visting Florida made an airboat an important tool to survive in the new age. The Gladesmen did not go to the woods for fun or sport like the city people. They where there to make a living and feed their family. Steven
Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War.

Return to “Airboat Talk”