Mosquito Bites

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
pgs2845
Southern Airboat Member

Mosquito Bites

Post by pgs2845 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Mosquito, Mosquito, and more mosquitos. I have a real problem, these nasty little critters seem to love me more than most. I am evidently or must be allergic to their bites because I have very big whelps when they attack. It drives me absolutely insane and I usually claw them until I bleed. My wife and I can sit together outside and they never touch her but literally drive me nuts to the point that I can not stand it any more. Does anyone have a cure to stop the itch a remedy to keep them from biting in first place. I figured they don't bite my wife because she is too sweet and that they must just like ugly old people like myself. I've try almost anything except sitting inside my fire ring. Have tried bug sprays, Absorbins Jr., citronella candles, Thermo Cells, and anything else besides Cow Manure to keep these bugs away from me. They are too small to shoot with a 45 and the 223 bullets are too fast for them. CAN ANYONE OFFER ANy HELP, PLEASE. :violent1: :( THANKS GREG

M3 Racing
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Mosquito Bites

Post by M3 Racing » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Try using a dryer sheet,old time method that keeps bugs away. heard it works well.
BLOWN MONEY #66

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Sulfur tablets by mouth or sulfur powder to rub on will keep the bitter bugs off but also will keep the wife away unless she uses it too. :scratch: It's like a drunk, you have to be drunk too, to put up with one. :drunken:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

lbdb1a
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lbdb1a » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:49 am

Go to Walmart , a drugstore or Publix and buy a product called "Original Sarna". It comes in a 7.5 Fl Oz plastic pump container. It is a Anti-Itch Lotion that is an External Analgesic for the skin etc.

Be sure and get the "Original Sarna" and not the "Sensitive Sarna". They are different formulas with the Original being a stronger Analgesic..

Give it a try. It works for me on the yellow Deer Flies and mosguitos.

Larry Brister
13 Ft Caloosa
Stanley Aircraft Gitsu Continental

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:11 am

I always scratch em til the very fine first layer of skin breaks, then rub down with rubbing alcohol. Burns for a sec, but no more itch immediately

Frannytaylor11
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Frannytaylor11 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Go to Ace hardware and get the off candle,it's a candle with a wick that inserts through the top, hardly any smell and they even get rid of noseeums! Been using them at home and camp, the only thing that actually works for about 4-5 hrs.

jimmy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:17 pm

if you are getting ate up with sand gnats or no-see-ums. get ya some avon skin -so - soft
yer wife might even like it..
just don't let yer buddy's know what ya got on

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Mosquito Bites

Post by Comanche-pup » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:31 pm

jimmy wrote:if you are getting ate up with sand gnats or no-see-ums. get ya some avon skin -so - soft
yer wife might even like it..
just don't let yer buddy's know what ya got on
WD40 works for those lil bastards too! But you might attract gear heads

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:19 am

Most of us 'modern folk' are way low on vitamin B. It's been all but removed from our food by processing and unless you take some orally you're probably deficient. The Creek and Seminole indians were able to live here decades before us and before Deet because they got an ample supply of vitamin B in their largely fish based diet.
Go to a good store like GNC and buy some vitamin B tablets. Not B-12, just plain old vitamin B. Take one every day, and in the Spring start taking one twice a day until the weather starts turning cool again in the Autumn. It somehow changes our body chemistry so that we get bitten a lot less.
And yes, for some reason WD-40 is is a quick fix for a bug bite, but I'm not real sure how good that is in the long run for that to be absorbed into our skin.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:30 am

if your out there and don't have none of the above go out and get a hand full of some grass that's around and rub together until it starts to liquefy then rub all over open skin area it gives the scent of the already surrounding area and blocks off some of the heat signals. trust me there's nothing else it works
ps just make sure that what you grab is not poison oak or ivy
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:42 pm

A dang Thermocell takes care of all the skeeters in the trees for me !!!!!!!!!! Fire it up and just sit back and relax.. It goes everywhere with me.. Party's, airboating, camping, hunting.. you name it.. Last for hours..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:02 pm

pgs2845 wrote:Mosquito, Mosquito, and more mosquitos. I have a real problem, these nasty little critters seem to love me more than most. I am evidently or must be allergic to their bites because I have very big whelps when they attack. It drives me absolutely insane and I usually claw them until I bleed. My wife and I can sit together outside and they never touch her but literally drive me nuts to the point that I can not stand it any more. Does anyone have a cure to stop the itch a remedy to keep them from biting in first place. I figured they don't bite my wife because she is too sweet and that they must just like ugly old people like myself. I've try almost anything except sitting inside my fire ring. Have tried bug sprays, Absorbins Jr., citronella candles, Thermo Cells, and anything else besides Cow Manure to keep these bugs away from me. They are too small to shoot with a 45 and the 223 bullets are too fast for them. CAN ANYONE OFFER ANy HELP, PLEASE. :violent1: :( THANKS GREG
I'm the same way, for some reason they eat me up. I take Benadryl for the itch plus it helps me sleep. Haven't found anything to keep them from biting me. Hope this helps.

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Olf Art wrote:Most of us 'modern folk' are way low on vitamin B. It's been all but removed from our food by processing and unless you take some orally you're probably deficient. The Creek and Seminole indians were able to live here decades before us and before Deet because they got an ample supply of vitamin B in their largely fish based diet.
Go to a good store like GNC and buy some vitamin B tablets. Not B-12, just plain old vitamin B. Take one every day, and in the Spring start taking one twice a day until the weather starts turning cool again in the Autumn. It somehow changes our body chemistry so that we get bitten a lot less.
And yes, for some reason WD-40 is is a quick fix for a bug bite, but I'm not real sure how good that is in the long run for that to be absorbed into our skin.
Ken they are at Old Glory 365 days a year and I want go take a nature break outside at night!!! LMAO

oldskool
Southern Airboat Member

Post by oldskool » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 pm

nothing works, but a repellant with a min 20% to 25% DEET !

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:23 pm

spirits of turpintine .........definately stops itchin old time remedy

Stewie
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stewie » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Just keep a few pack of matches in your pocket when you get bit strike a match blow it out and touch it right next to the bite :angry5: The burn will then take your mind :scratch: off the bite because it hurts more !! :banghead: let me know how it works? Lol :thumbleft:

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:17 pm

I think this is a pretty important thread. There have been cases reported where critters like moose and deer have been killed up in places like Michigan and Canada because hordes of mosquitos and such had sucked enough blood out of them that they died of shock. :shock:
In one of Jimmy Buffet's books he mentions that the worst night of his life was one where he and a fishin' buddy got lost out in the Glades one time and had to wait for daylight in their bass boat. I can't imagine.

That all brings me back to ..... how on earth did our Seminole, Creek, and Miccosukee indians ever live here back then? They had to know something we don't. Was it their diet that made them less prone? Was it some local remedy? :dontknow:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:09 am

Ludwiger none of your posts make any sense!
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Mosquito Bites

Post by Comanche-pup » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:40 am

DDSBC wrote:Ludwiger none of your posts make any sense!
I think he is saying tiki torch or an OFF candle?

gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gblack15 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:22 am

BATH

mscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mscott » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:41 am

Since wallering in mud like a pig is not an option, skin so soft does work. Also, aloe anti itch gel kept in the fridge is a nice temporary break from the itching. Vitamin E is what we took pre-Canadian fishing trip for a natural black fly and mosquito repellant. Vitamin E will make you a little stinky, but you'll be bug free, and possibly wife free for that matter......it's a win win! Here in Kansas it helps to sit in the blowing smoke of the campfire, or when the wind is 20+ they don't seem to be able to stick their landings as well. Lol

chasinbytes
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by chasinbytes » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 am

Several years ago I watched several deer bucks and does rub themselves on beauty berry bushes.. looked it up and found it is a natural insect repellent with the same qualities as deet. My thermocell went out and had no bug dope so I figured I'd try what the deer do and crushed up several leaves and rubbed it on and I can say it did help. No where near as good as Deet, I still had them buzzing and a few bites but not "Driving me Crazy" like before I tried it

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Mosquito Bites

Post by Comanche-pup » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:07 pm

chasinbytes wrote:Several years ago I watched several deer bucks and does rub themselves on beauty berry bushes.. looked it up and found it is a natural insect repellent with the same qualities as deet. My thermocell went out and had no bug dope so I figured I'd try what the deer do and crushed up several leaves and rubbed it on and I can say it did help. No where near as good as Deet, I still had them buzzing and a few bites but not "Driving me Crazy" like before I tried it
Probably a good scent blocker for the bucks as well

chasinbytes
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by chasinbytes » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:19 pm

Yeah dog fennel works 2 as a scent blocker and mosquito repellent

flshooter
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flshooter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:17 pm

Its a waste of whiskey but it does keep em off ya for awhile, it will be fun explaining to police that its your insect repellent. Lol
IO-520 72"Q series on a hawk step

Return to “Airboat Talk”