deck over performance????

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
baggedsuperduty
Southern Airboat Member

deck over performance????

Post by baggedsuperduty »

Ive got a 14 x8 jimmy white with a cad 500. Was thinking about redoin the riggin this winter and goin with a mild ls with gear box, but i really like the way the deck overs look and thinking about just building one of them this winter.

So my question is how do the deck overs perform? Ive never seen one in action just pics of them sitting or videos of the them hangin out in the water. Do they corner good, slide good, do they perform as good as i think they look? I strictly use mine as ride boat and swim alot. Give me some input.....thanks
15x8 dyna-marine vapor boat with turbo'd ls2
14x8 jw with a cammed 500 caddy swingin a 72" whirl wind wisper tip built by me, my dad, and a good buddy
Hammer00
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: deck over performance????

Post by Hammer00 »

Apparently, the deckover guys are still :sleepy1: :sleepy2:
Motorheads Racing Engines
(941) 378-7033
happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

deckovers are easier to keep clean. make the bilge pump last longer(harder to service), harder to carry junk, and are heavier due to the weight of the deck its self. it doesn't have to be any one type of hull. one can list many pro's and cons, but the one single factor is if you are running the tall grass, sleds are almost a must have. for the rest of us maybe not so much unless you think the deckover will keep you from sinking. in fact, the next time you are next to a sled, notice the first thing the driver does when he prepares to leave. he turn on his bilge pump because so he can tell if he has much water in it. consider all options before you deck one over. hope this helps. good luck
JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

Most of the deckover boats are slider hulls. I personally love em. They take a little getting used to but I will never own anything else.
KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 »

I don’t know if Harold is correct in his statements, but never had a bilge pump in any of my boats. Never had a problem carrying anything inside or on top of the deck. As far as weight depends on the materials used, 7075 can be made lighter because you can use thinner material. It depends on what you want to do with the boat and where you are riding. To me there isn’t a boat that has the all around performance of a Full deck. Then again I am partial to full decks.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235
Raizincane
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Raizincane »

KR23 wrote:I don’t know if Harold is correct in his statements, but never had a bilge pump in any of my boats. Never had a problem carrying anything inside or on top of the deck. As far as weight depends on the materials used, 7075 can be made lighter because you can use thinner material. It depends on what you want to do with the boat and where you are riding. To me there isn’t a boat that has the all around performance of a Full deck. Then again I am partial to full decks.

:thumbleft: :thumbright:
The difference between Champ and Chump is []_[]

If you don't have pictures,then it didn't happen

13' Performance Airboat AV 0540 3 bld 72" NGH
U
S
F
T
H
midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider »

Get a jimmy white flat bottom and you have the best of both worlds. Still be fiberglass and lite but have the ride and fun drive a deckover has.
DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine »

Well I can't speak for all deckovers, but I know we can build deckovers with as much or as little below deck storage. Weight isn't always an issue, depends on how you build them. In my opinion they are as safe or safer than other boats, then again its the operator that makes it safe or not!

As for the ride, the first model we built slides when you want it to and will bite and turn when you want. I've yet to feel unsafe or out of control at anytime, but some might argue I haven't pushed it to its limits yet. Got another style deckover that has a slight reverse chine to it that will have a little less slide and more grip in the turns. At the end of the day they can be built for your style of driving. There are some very good sled builders out there, suggest you talk to each one that interests you and most importantly, get out there on one and see for yourself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com
plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy »

well ive seen the old thurmans and fanny taylors imatated more than anything...i sure miss them..... sage is bad ass al davids look great welded deck overs pretty heavy
JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

I am just waiting for the motor to be finished for this al david performance hull. A true slider hull that rides as well as any ever built. JMO of course. Look at how close the spacing on the rivets are on als boats. The bottom is .100 and has 7 beams front to back with 9 in the back 4 feet. Even with all this the boat with gas tank, grass rake and polymere will only weigh around 500 pounds before the cage motor etc. All these little extras add up to the difference between a really good quality sled that you can run a lot of dry groung without messing up the way it rides and a boat that is just a good grass sled. Once again this is JMO. I am a little partial to his boats, but I have seen others fall apart after running the woods. :dontknow: :dontknow:
new al david performance.jpg
new al david performance.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Scorpion Airboats
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scorpion Airboats »

Here's "OUR" take of building these "sleds" decked over. We ride on top of the water-not "in" the water. We maneuver much like a knee board.
If you have driven a fiberglass or aluminum hull with turning chimes a sled is a different duck. We (our belief) is we are fully decked in-the deck is S0 much easier to walk around on and with the bigger sleds you can walk on the edge and never worry about an edge going under and sinking their boats. We are "bobbers" We truly believe they are safer.
You must master "the slide" first-tricky but great fun when you learn it. We have put turning chimes in a couple but it is VERY HARD to get a porpoise out of them-THAT is the main reason we use all the bottom for sliding.
A stock LS works great on a 14'-16' sled. Plenty of space for loading her down too.
If you are doing the building please feel free to call Lee and talk it out with him.(32 years of building sleds) He is a wonderful person to help anyone do their own work. GOOD LUCK!

:old_glory:
Scorpion with WaterThunder fuel injected 550, 2:68 gear box

DANGEROUS LIFESTYLES
happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

baggedsuperduty; now you have some opinions. some guy on here said there is 11,000 airboats in florida. what that means is there are 11,000 different, ways to build an airboat and if it works, its right. another thing is although they like a good argument, stop one on the road or in the woods---about 100% of the time he will be a great guy, give you the shirt of his back, and won't leave you if you're in trouble. jmo
todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover »

Don Davis is hands down the best alm riveted hull ever built their are lots of great builders I believe don is the best no question good luck
Scorpion Airboats
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scorpion Airboats »

Don Davis is the man on building sleds! Someone correct me (I'm sure someone will be happy to) but didn't Benny Webb do the building of Thurman boats? We went to Gary's shop when it was open but- he was never "working" on one of his boats-AND I AM SORRY if I stepped on anyone's toes! BEFORE.
As we understand Benny Webb is with Hairdo-Glen Fletcher-THAT is a great team on sleds.
My question is-is he needing ideas with sleds or just decked overs? Diamondback, GTO, Panther, etc-all now offer "decked overs".

:old_glory:
Scorpion with WaterThunder fuel injected 550, 2:68 gear box

DANGEROUS LIFESTYLES
baggedsuperduty
Southern Airboat Member

Post by baggedsuperduty »

I appreciate all of yall's replies and sorry it took so long to get back and reply on my post.

I would love to stop someone and talk to them about their boat but ive never seen one in my life. Theres none of them in texas.

I really like what yall have said so far, seems like i will be pretty pleased with one.

I am talking about a sled, the deck over hulls are cool but i just love the way a sled sets in the water.

Now i just gotta figure out a length....... thinkin bout goin with a lq9 with gear box, small cam, headers, and a tune. 16' seem like a good length?? And i want as close to a 8' bottom as i can get!!!!

Anyone know roughly how much a Don Davis hull is?
15x8 dyna-marine vapor boat with turbo'd ls2
14x8 jw with a cammed 500 caddy swingin a 72" whirl wind wisper tip built by me, my dad, and a good buddy
boobidges
Southern Airboat Member

Post by boobidges »

I love my sled(10ft modified Hancock/Lawrence with 4 cyl gpu/520s) in the grass. On lake kiss. It sucks. Barely floats, hops. Maybeif you like your Jimmy you should consider decking it in
KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 »

From experience, if you are going to run any rough stuff and looking for a polly boat then Al David is who you want to talk to. I have owned a boat from Don, benny, wardaddy, and some others when it comes to durability Al can’t be beat. Hunting season is right around the corner here in Fl. Call him up and ask to ride on a hunt with him, let the boat speak for itself.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235
Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

Anyone know roughly how much a Don Davis hull is?

A boat that size won't be cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Return to “Airboat Talk”