fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Post Reply
sseater
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:33 am
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL

fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by sseater » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:22 pm

ok im a aluminum guy (only because i havent ever tried glass)... but for the new guys that always ask, heres your answer.... this should a sticky :lol:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=offUglbbfXw
Image

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 11851
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Plant City, FL

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by Olf Art » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:03 pm

There really isn't any 'final say'. Each has it's purpose ..... their differences are important, and like most
other things in airboating you build a boat for the way you run one.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

User avatar
FlatsFisher
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:11 pm
Location: Central Coast of Texas

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by FlatsFisher » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:23 pm

My fiberglass boat is a 1978 Panther...it's never had poly, but it will soon.

I'm not saying that it has never been repaired, but it's still in good enough shape to have insurance coverage.

It's always going to be a matter of personal preference, and what a person can afford.

Thanks for the video.

sseater
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:33 am
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by sseater » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Olf Art wrote:There really isn't any 'final say'. Each has it's purpose ..... their differences are important, and like most
other things in airboating you build a boat for the way you run one.
people want to know the difference. it has nothing to do with different purposes. this video shows the difference.
Image

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 4448
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: SCRAMBLETOWN, FL

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by scrambletown » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:55 pm

well whats better car-motor or aircraft?
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

User avatar
AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: Gibsonton,Fl
Contact:

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by AirRanger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 pm

sseater wrote:
Olf Art wrote:There really isn't any 'final say'. Each has it's purpose ..... their differences are important, and like most
other things in airboating you build a boat for the way you run one.
people want to know the difference. it has nothing to do with different purposes. this video shows the difference.
I assume that you are aware that this is not how fiberglass airboat hulls are currently being constructed. Good video, but non pertinate to the airboat world as of now, well maybe somwhere but not around here.
Image

User avatar
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 8569
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 pm
Location: cocoa
Contact:

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by JAMES » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:10 pm

I CAN SAY I LOVE MY JB HULL (ALUM) OTHER THEN ME BUYING A SLED ID NEVER OWN A ALUM HULL AGAIN ... I LOVE MY GLASS BOATS MUCH SMOOTHER RIDE LESS SOUND AND THE GLASS DONT HOLD HEAT AS BAD ..
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

User avatar
FlatsFisher
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:11 pm
Location: Central Coast of Texas

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by FlatsFisher » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:35 pm

scrambletown wrote:well whats better car-motor or aircraft?
I have a little DD 350 so I'm leaning toward aircraft. I looked at a lot of aircraft boats before I bought mine, but I was worried about parts & fuel prices.

Maybe my next boat will be aluminum with a bad a$$ AC engine on it.

You've got to admit this forum was getting a little boring, and this topic will get things going again.

User avatar
renegade0540
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by renegade0540 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:43 pm

AirRanger wrote:
sseater wrote:
Olf Art wrote:There really isn't any 'final say'. Each has it's purpose ..... their differences are important, and like most
other things in airboating you build a boat for the way you run one.
people want to know the difference. it has nothing to do with different purposes. this video shows the difference.
I assume that you are aware that this is not how fiberglass airboat hulls are currently being constructed. Good video, but non pertinate to the airboat world as of now, well maybe somwhere but not around here.
I assume you haven't seen HAMMERHEADS setup. Seems to me that would be the airboat world???
JAMES wrote:I CAN SAY I LOVE MY JB HULL (ALUM) OTHER THEN ME BUYING A SLED ID NEVER OWN A ALUM HULL AGAIN ... I LOVE MY GLASS BOATS MUCH SMOOTHER RIDE LESS SOUND AND THE GLASS DONT HOLD HEAT AS BAD ..
This sound you speak of, would that be sitting in the canal or under power on an AIRBOAT? :scratch:
Proud member of the Osceola Airboat Association
UNITED SPORTSMAN FOR TRADITIONAL HERITAGE
Outlaw Airboat and Buggy Board

User avatar
blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 1582
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:50 pm

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by blackpowderscout » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:43 pm

I've had both.

Both with aircraft engines.

Honestly, If I were to go buy another one right now, I'd get a fiberglass hull. I can fix fiberglass pretty good. And I'm not skilled. Ask Olf Art. He had to help me build a dang chicken coop. My skills are in other areas. But I have had to and CAN fix fiberglass.

I couldn't fix the dent I put in my aluminum deckover though. Had to learn to deal with the hook it caused because I'm a cheap son of gun. Which is part of the reason Olf had to help with my chicken coop. He's cheap labor...LOL

Anyhow, Like anything, no two are alike. Some glass hulls ride better than others just like aluminum ones. It's apples and oranges really. Where's one riding? What kind of ride do you like? Etc.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 4448
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: SCRAMBLETOWN, FL

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by scrambletown » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm

o.k. how about warp-drive or saber?
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

User avatar
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 8569
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 pm
Location: cocoa
Contact:

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by JAMES » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 pm

wtf is that Ebonics :lol: period i love the way a glass boat rides
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

divecaptchris1
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:08 pm
Location: Ozello, Florida

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by divecaptchris1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:23 pm

I agree that the video shows what fiberglass CAN be, not what it is! Not all, if any are made like that!

As for me fiberglass makes me itch! and i can weld aluminum all day long! LOL but to each there own! and I do agree for every purpose there is a different answer! That that i've been at this very long, but theres my 2 cents!

User avatar
davemotes
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:18 pm
Location: Fayetteville N.C

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by davemotes » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 pm

As long as it gets me in the water I don't care what is, it could be made out of wood and I be happy. As for car motor or a/c. I always run A/C my self because its what we had, but I wouldn't mind trying out a car motor because a/c are expensive to repair.

User avatar
HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: GAINESVILLE

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:57 pm

divecaptchris1 wrote:I agree that the video shows what fiberglass CAN be, not what it is! Not all, if any are made like that!

As for me fiberglass makes me itch! and i can weld aluminum all day long! LOL but to each there own! and I do agree for every purpose there is a different answer! That that i've been at this very long, but theres my 2 cents!
I disagree I know that over here it is what fiberglass is and not what it could be! Not all are made this way but some are and more will be very soon. Difference is that we are using some better materials than shown in the video as far as resin and some of the reinforcements.

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:51 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by strokin05ct » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:56 pm

:banghead: This is just one of the typical conversations/arguments we have all heard while sitting on the hill with both aluminum and glass boats all around. I personally like to :stirpot: ! Makes things fun. Theres die hards for each type of boat. I agree with the guys who have said that each boat and person is different and its all based on what you like, want, and need. Personally, I have to agree with sseater being an aluminum guy but honestly, I would take whatever it took to get me out on the water with all the fine other airboaters out there.!. :usa:

:thumbleft: good topic SSEATER
Cody
----------------------------
"she gone!"
GM 2.0 LHU Turbo Ecotec, stock engine, 78" whisper ex 3 blade
06 Hamant 13'

User avatar
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 16554
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Palm Bay, Fl
Contact:

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by Whitebear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Fiberglass has always been really good, but the difference is in the skill of the builder. Polyester Resin is old but it will still yield a really fine hand made glass hull, the new cloths and Epoxy Resins can make them even better. The infusion process is new and I get the impression that it is way more expensive for the equipment than the old pressure pot spray systems. If something better is so much more expensive that the average guy building a boat can't afford it then it won't be used, OR the average guy will stop building boats.

At one time it was not uncommon at all for someone to have a mold out in the garage or shop that several guys had put up the money to build so they could all have boats at lower cost than buying from a commercial builder. Those days I think are either gone now or are on their last legs. Some of the best and the worst boats ever to float came out of those molds and shops. just like today there were three kinds of builders. Those who new fiberglass well, those who new a lot but most of it was wrong, those who really shouldn't have painted a post with water color. Glass boats served us well for a long time. However the real demise was cost of materials. As OPEC took control and the resin prices saw new heights, for a long time it was cheaper to build an aluminum boat than a glass boat. Still may be today.

The saving grace of glass is that it can be shaped into complex curves that aluminum can not, short of forging and casting it when liquid. Glass boats ride better because they have better and kinder shapes than aluminum boats. Which is tougher? Know of any ballistic vests made out of aluminum? Which is easier to repair? The technique is vastly different and depends on if you have the equipment and know how to use it. I think the scales are "slightly" tipped in the favor of glass. Mostly because it requires no electricity or special equipment.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

User avatar
HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: GAINESVILLE

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Whitebear wrote:Fiberglass has always been really good, but the difference is in the skill of the builder. Polyester Resin is old but it will still yield a really fine hand made glass hull, the new cloths and Epoxy Resins can make them even better. The infusion process is new and I get the impression that it is way more expensive for the equipment than the old pressure pot spray systems. If something better is so much more expensive that the average guy building a boat can't afford it then it won't be used, OR the average guy will stop building boats.

At one time it was not uncommon at all for someone to have a mold out in the garage or shop that several guys had put up the money to build so they could all have boats at lower cost than buying from a commercial builder. Those days I think are either gone now or are on their last legs. Some of the best and the worst boats ever to float came out of those molds and shops. just like today there were three kinds of builders. Those who new fiberglass well, those who new a lot but most of it was wrong, those who really shouldn't have painted a post with water color. Glass boats served us well for a long time. However the real demise was cost of materials. As OPEC took control and the resin prices saw new heights, for a long time it was cheaper to build an aluminum boat than a glass boat. Still may be today.

The saving grace of glass is that it can be shaped into complex curves that aluminum can not, short of forging and casting it when liquid. Glass boats ride better because they have better and kinder shapes than aluminum boats. Which is tougher? Know of any ballistic vests made out of aluminum? Which is easier to repair? The technique is vastly different and depends on if you have the equipment and know how to use it. I think the scales are "slightly" tipped in the favor of glass. Mostly because it requires no electricity or special equipment.
IM NOT SURE ABOUT THE COST POINT YOU MADE BECAUSE I CAN SELL AN INFUSED HULL AS CHEAP AS ANY HAND LAID HULL. THE COST WAS IN THE INITIAL SET UP. FOR AN ESTABISHED BUILDER TO SWITCH OVER WOULD BE COSTLY AND YOU WILL NOT LIKELY SEE THEM DONG IT. IMO.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 6792
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:20 pm

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by Rich Andrews » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:41 pm

just spent a lil time in a shop in Minneapolis for another project,but saw they made NASCAR front ends..WOW was I awakened to some new technology.

Love my metal hulls,but something tells me new technology will replace metal..soon
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

User avatar
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 16554
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Palm Bay, Fl
Contact:

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by Whitebear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Maybe I'm not saying it well, Hammerhead but I don't think that disagrees with what I said. Sounds like we are in agreement to me. The key is smaller or club/group shops just wont fork out the money for the equipment. Most likely they will just never set up and never make any boats.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 2245
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Williston, Florida

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by C1gator » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:19 am

One day someone is going to start building infused ride boats and they are gonna make a big impact on the way folks look at glass boats...I know some folks are doing smaller infused racing type boats....Take for example a jimmy white boat 14X8 with some no rot stringers that weighed a lot less than a typical boat and stronger to boot...That would be a great set up for a nice lightweight hull with some size to it for fishing/ family ride boat....I persoanlly think someone could sell a pile of boats built this way

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: fiberglass vs aluminum (the final say)

Post by todd glover » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:37 pm

If you want a bad boy glass hull call hammerhead if you want the best alm hull going call don Davis that's as good as it gets if you don't believe me just ask me

Post Reply

Return to “Airboat Talk”