Holly molly watch out for Duck hunters

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Holly molly watch out for Duck hunters

Post by pontoon outlaw »

Road out Friday morning heading to the Pontoon Camp, went down river to the cut into Half Track, and BAM :violent1: Ran up on some deco's ( Ducks ) right in front of the Trail, and just ran right by 2 Hunters fully camoed in the water, saw them at the last second, good thing I didn't take that corner any closer, would have taken them out, I guess them ducks can see a flag? maybe that's why they didn't have one as to show other boaters where they were?? I will be on the look out for the next couple weekends for sure :thumbleft:
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Holly molly watch out for Duck hunters

Post by newoldglory »

That's why they're called DUCK hunters, when the hunters hear an airboat coming, they duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.
craneman73
Southern Airboat Member

Post by craneman73 »

NOW that is FUNNY :lol:
DDPWRD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DDPWRD »

Thats about rite
BLOWIN THE WIND
keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo »

Just as bad in Okeechobee too, rounded a corner in a airboat trail and about ran over 4 guys riding full speed in a duck boat.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:
norge1956
Southern Airboat Member

Post by norge1956 »

newoldglory wrote:That's why they're called DUCK hunters, when the hunters hear an airboat coming, they duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL
BERSERKIR (most fearsome and fearless of warriors)

8X16 Diamondback 454 w/Stinger and Water Walker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMJXCcfRo0U

MMSI # 338163832
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

yep I use to keep a flash light handy to wave around when a boat was coming.
captain chad
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by captain chad »

Just like every year.
"you cant fix stupid"
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Why in the he!! would they setup near a trail? I'm a duck hunter and that doesn't seem like a very good setup. Sounds like some rooks to me...

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop
dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 »

captain chad wrote:Just like every year.
Yep.
Broke.
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

Duece wrote:Why in the he!! would they setup near a trail? I'm a duck hunter and that doesn't seem like a very good setup. Sounds like some rooks to me...

Duece

ROOKIES. Totally agree.

Also watch out for them on the airboat trails in there mud boats.
diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 »

What I really dont get is why they dont hv ta where orange vest like us deer hunters makes absolutly no since,just like airboats hv to hv orange flag but but the bass boats & mud boats in the trails dnt,wtf!
harley
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by harley »

tonyld67 wrote:What I really dont get is why they dont hv ta where orange vest like us deer hunters makes absolutly no since,just like airboats hv to hv orange flag but but the bass boats & mud boats in the trails dnt,wtf!
i agree with that , it needs to be the same law for all of them, that is safe for us all .
14x8 Diamondback / SBC Power.

"ALL THROTTLE NO BOTTLE"
gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gblack15 »

Same crap every year, I almost ran one over last year paddling a Kayak along the west side of Poinsett in the dark. No lights or a flag and the yak was way overlaoded with gear. Oh yea and he wasnt wearing a PFD.
titan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by titan »

Everybody needs to be safe out there, don't matter if your joy riding or just shooting ducks, snipe, or hogs.
That's your main responsibility of operating a vessil.
HVGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by HVGator »

"What I really dont get is why they dont hv ta where orange vest like us deer hunters makes absolutly no since,just like airboats hv to hv orange flag but but the bass boats & mud boats in the trails dnt,wtf!"

This is a funny story and I'm happy all are safe. I agree with some color somewhere, especially with the kayackers and the JETSKIs. I've had more near coolisions with JET Skis than anything else. Airboat noise tells everyone else where we are, but we cant see or hear them in the tall weeds.
13 ft Diamondback, GSO-480, 4 blade Q, gas tank too small, not enough cash to fill it.
titan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by titan »

A orange vest on a duck hunter will do no good, ducks arnt color blind like a deer. Lol
But a orange flag on a mud boat Probley wouldn't be a bad idea. I agree if a airboat has to have a
Flag all boats have to have one.
Oleboy87
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Oleboy87 »

I can see riding with a flag on a duck boat, but never having it up or wearing a orange vest while hunting! There wouldn't be any ducks coming into the decoys, you would just have to pass shot all day!
Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

If it's necessary for an airboat to display an orange flag for boating safety, then it should be necessary for ANY VESSEL operating in similar circumstance to display one. If it's necessary for an airboat to display side marker and a 360 degree all around light, then it should be necessary for ALL VESSELS to display the same lights. No Discrimination!!!

An injured / dead kayaker should be the same as an injured / dead airboater. An accident avoided because lights are seen, is an accident avoided because lights are seen.

GlowWhips come in 6' lengths and are led - and can run on a small battery pack -- same as LightHeadedLights' headlights can. Perfect for a yak or a ducker.

No discrimination against airboats, PERIOD.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand
diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 »

Well said daddy dave,if I hv to listen to duck hunters at daylight waiting to c a deer then rules should b the the same nuthin against duck hunters,huntin is huntin no matter what ur huntin,& I also didnt understand why they opened duck season on the only 2 days we get for does durin rifle,fwc crap,seen plenty of does 2wkends b4 & then none opening of duck,of course where I seen the does duck hunters were rightin my bk pocket,lol!
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

If any boat operator drives around a corner, trail or not, without being able to see what's around that corner and then runs something over I'd have to put Partial blame on the operator. Canoes, kayaks, row and jon boats along with duck hunters have been using the glades as long as if not longer then airboats. As far as I'm aware the orange flag 10 feet above the bottom of the boat rule does apply to all while in the trails but obviously if someones flag blows off or their pole breaks they still gotta head back in and if it's daylight and you can't see them no amount of flashlights or noise is gonna warn an airboater wearing ear protection. With that said setting up on a trail is not advisable.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

I believe the law is in navigable water ways not the trails. Really I never see flags unless I am sitting still. In the set driving a trail all I see is reeds.
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

I know when you enter the marsh in Water Conservation Area's 1, 2 and 3 you have to have a 10"x12" orange flag displayed 10 feet above the bottom of your boat but maybe that only applies to those areas.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Still part of the blame has to be on the hunter too. I mean, b/c you see a deer crossing I-75 do you put a ground blind in the north bound lanes? WTF guys, use a little common sense! :o

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop
Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

Only airboats are required by Florida law to didplay a 10" X 12" orange flag 10 feet off the boat's deck. Clearly discriminatory. I have seen hundreds of flags on airboats that alerted me of another airboater coming, going or not under way. Every motor vessel operator is responsible for his / her own vessel legally. Every motor vessel operator is required by law to operate at a speed so as to be able to avoid an accident in all areas, at all times - no discrimination. As our waterways and marshes become more crowded - they do every day - it becomes more important - every day - that all vessels be seen.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

Return to “Airboat Talk”