SFWMD PLANS ON BURNING JOHNSON ISLAND MARSH.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Big Gobbler
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

SFWMD PLANS ON BURNING JOHNSON ISLAND MARSH.

Post by Big Gobbler »

FELLOW AIRBOATING FAMILY,

JUST GOT A CALL FROM BERT TRAMMELL SFWMD IN THE WEST PALM BEACH OFFICE.
PER OUR AGGREEMENT AT A MEETING ON DECEMBER 17, 2013. SFWMD CONTACTS ME IN ADVANCE, THEN WHEN THEY ACTUALLY PROCURE A BURN PERMIT FROM DIVISION OF FORESTRY SFWMD WILL CONTACT ME BY E-MAIL TO LET ME KNOW THAT THEY ARE GOING TO BE BURNING ON THAT DAY.
AFTER MAKING A FOLLOW-UP PHONE CALL TO THE ORLANDO MANAGER OF SFWMD, HE INFORMED ME THAT THE PROPOSED BURN IS TO CONSIST OF 300 ACRES OF UP-LANDS NORTH OF THE JOHNSON ISLAND MARSH UP AGAINST THE NATURE CONSERVACY ON WEDNESDAY JANUARY 15TH, 2014.
I EXPRESSED CONCERNS OF NUMEROUS TREE STANDS IN THAT AREA WHICH HE ACTKNOWLEDGED AND SAID THAT THEY WOULD TRY AND PROTECT THEM.

BEFORE I COULD FINISH THIS POST MR. REDDICK SFWMD ORLANDO MANAGER CALLED ME BACK AND AFTER CONFERING WITH ONE OF HIS EMPLOYEES DECIDED TO NOT BURN TOMORROW.

THIS IS THE HUNTERS NOTICE THOUGH THAT IF CONDICTIONS ARE RIGHT IN THE COMING WEEKS THEY WILL APPLY FOR A PERMIT TO BURN THIS AREA. YES THIS MIGHT CAUSE SOME INCONVIENCE TO THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE TREE STANDS IN THIS AREA, BUT EVEN THOUGH SFWMD IS KIND ENOUGH TO ALLOW US TO ACCESS THIS AREA, THEY STILL HAVE A TEN YEAR MANAGEMENT PLAN THAT THEY HAVE TO GO BY AND PRESCRIBED BURNING IS A BIG PART OF THAT MANAGEMENT PLAN.

SO IF YOU HAVE A TREE STAND IN THIS AREA THIS IS YOUR NOTICE TO REMOVE IT UNLESS IT IS FIREPROOF.

P.S. NOW I AM HEADED TO THE POND.

THANKS
DANNY BRANTLEY
863-632-0618 CELL
BIG GOBBLER
NOT GUILTY
HE,HE,HE

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: SFWMD PLANS ON BURNING JOHNSON ISLAND MARSH.

Post by Waggs »

Thanks for the heads up. Don't know if I can make it before the weekend. Wish they'd wait another month. Must be why they disced the perimeter last week.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

It'd be nice if they'd do this on Lake Okeechobee too. That place is getting rough!

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radialman66 »

Duece wrote:It'd be nice if they'd do this on Lake Okeechobee too. That place is getting rough!

Duece
There seems to be an emphasis on the lake kissimmee area. Late winter and spring is a burn fest for local ranchers. They have to erect smoke warning signs on hwy 60 every year.
"let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees" General Stonewall Jacksons last words.

KRVSA member.

swampbuggyguy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by swampbuggyguy »

"BUT EVEN THOUGH SFWMD IS KIND ENOUGH TO ALLOW US TO ACCESS THIS AREA"

It should be illegal to use the words kind, access, and SFWMD in the same sentence. Hell they won't even let me have access to my own property. Kudos to you guys for getting all that you do up there, enjoy it while you can.

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider »

What property is that. They let people on their levys and right of ways all the time.dont see how they can keep you from it.

se service
Southern Airboat Member

Post by se service »

It is ridiculous that we think we are privileged to use property our tax dollars paid for. SFWMD, Forestry and FWC continue to ruin our public lands by burning, chopping and mowing our lands flat to the ground. They wipe out huge scrub oak strands, keep the palmettos knee high, run fires into cypress heads, kill pine strands, ect...
When they are all finished with their "management plan",
the game has lost food sources and the bedding areas are ruined. Let nature take care of itself like it has for hundreds of years without the help of these agencies.

radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radialman66 »

se service wrote:It is ridiculous that we think we are privileged to use property our tax dollars paid for. SFWMD, Forestry and FWC continue to ruin our public lands by burning, chopping and mowing our lands flat to the ground. They wipe out huge scrub oak strands, keep the palmettos knee high, run fires into cypress heads, kill pine strands, ect...
When they are all finished with their "management plan",
the game has lost food sources and the bedding areas are ruined. Let nature take care of itself like it has for hundreds of years without the help of these agencies.
They want everyone to believe that historically fire would happen naturally every freaking year! I call bull sheet! I think they are perverted arsonists!!!!
"let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees" General Stonewall Jacksons last words.

KRVSA member.

ddriver
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ddriver »

mother nature did just fine before man started screwing with her!!!!!

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

ddriver wrote:mother nature did just fine before man started screwing with her!!!!!
What can you mean this was the government fixing Kissimmee chain

Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Speaking of Kissimmee, anyone seen the restoration 1st hand? Are they letting folks airboat in the marshes off the restoration areas?

Duece
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Duece wrote:Speaking of Kissimmee, anyone seen the restoration 1st hand? Are they letting folks airboat in the marshes off the restoration areas?

Duece

Bump

Duece

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

Duece wrote:
Duece wrote:Speaking of Kissimmee, anyone seen the restoration 1st hand? Are they letting folks airboat in the marshes off the restoration areas?

Duece

Bump

Duece
If youre talking about the one they did about 10yrs ago, then yes. It is awesome riding when the water is up

goatwings2
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by goatwings2 »

Waggs wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Don't know if I can make it before the weekend. Wish they'd wait another month. Must be why they disced the perimeter last week.
Waggs,
To bad old POPCORN SUTTON is gone but his legendary
life was one that we all would love to live. He was a real down to earth man in my book. Hats off to POPCORN SUTTON.

Return to “Airboat Talk”