What Happened To Pride And Workmanship?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: What Happened To Pride And Workmanship?

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:44 am

Here is the front mount on the starboard side. It has been suggested the bolts were moved because the holes were wallowed out. Clearly not the case. In fact, I now have a bigger problem. The small amount of material between the two holes will eventually wear out and I will have a slot rather than a hole. The front mount on the port side was moved back an equal amount. No other mounts on the port side were moved; all the old holes were utilized.
Attachments
20140307_130231_resized.jpg
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:59 am

This one is particularly interesting. You will note that the bolt on the left, which is the second mount for the forward half of the seat stand, has been moved back but the bolt on the right has been moved forward. All the rest of the bolts on the starboard side has been moved forward. Again, no wallow to the bolt holes but since so little material exists between the holes, I will eventually be left with a slot.
Attachments
20140307_130205_resized.jpg
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:08 am

The measuring tape shows the distance from the transom wall to the stand mount. The 11" measurement is the port side, where the mounting holes were not re-drilled, except for the very forward mount. The 11-1/4" measurement is the starboard side where the rear was moved forward and the front was move rearward. My rigging is now at least a 1/4" out of square. Does that affect the ride I'm experiencing now? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. What I do know is there's no good explanation for why it happened. I look forward to hearing why they didn't/couldn't re-install the rigging utilizing the original mounts.
Attachments
20140307_130700_resized.jpg
20140307_131638_resized.jpg

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:14 am

The rear mount on the starboard side.
Attachments
20140307_130137_resized.jpg

Fookz92
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fookz92 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:16 am

I have an idea...... Just sell it and buy another one! Tada! :cheers:
15x8 diamondback, GSO 480, 79" 10 blade warp drive

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:27 am

I had considered that. In fact, I almost purchased a new hull rather than new poly but the $20,000.00 price tag was a bit too much to swallow (to be fair, I was having a lot of options installed, which drove the price up). I decided I would have too much money wrapped up in ten year-old rigging to spend that kind of cash on a hull. At that point, might as well keep going and build a whole new boat.

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:50 am

20 grand for new hull :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: You can get a riveted deckover with poly for half that. Why so much?

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 am

JB550 wrote:20 grand for new hull :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: You can get a riveted deckover with poly for half that. Why so much?
JB550 was thinking the same thing. were they gold plated?
I bought 2 hulls from RAMOND alumitec one $4800 with polly and 8" walk boards 2011 one $5200 with polly and 8" walk boards. 2012
difference was aluminum went up in price every day.
DIGGINFOOL,
I pretty much back you in your quest, but this was the wrong place to vent your frustration.
when I read your thread I thought ohhhhh nooooo. here we go.
also before this thread is done thread HELL will open its doors.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:14 am

JB550 wrote:20 grand for new hull :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: You can get a riveted deckover with poly for half that. Why so much?
As I said before, there were a lot of options added on as well as some paint work. Plus, it was an 18 foot hull and the labor to swap the rigging from the old hull to the new hull.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:35 am

jscott wrote:Is this thread allowed to continue because Diamondback is involved? I've seen a lot of these go to the graveyard because of lawsuits, etc...............
Fair question JScott.

This thread remains at the direct request of Bobby@Diamondback.
He did not want it removed.
Probably felt that people might think that removal of this thread would have meant he forgot where he came from.

I really don't know why anyone would think that anyhow.

I don't know Bobby as well as some around here do, but I do know he ain't never been nothing but supportive of Southern Airboat, the FAA, All requests to support in all manner of Airboating Promotions and Charity Efforts, you name it, he's been there for Airboating. No questions asked.

I reckon he does it for the Airboaters, because I reckon he is an Airboater.

So when Bobby asked SouthernAirboat to let this thread remain, it seemed like a small request to deviate from a policy, that was put into place to protect the very Southern Airboaters who would be in Bobby's position in situations such as this one.

Anyway JScott.
Thanks for asking the question on application of the bashing policies in this thread.
I appreciate it. :thumbup:

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:11 am

I can see you have some valid points about some of the work done, but if it was me and I was the owner of the company and you didn’t come to me before posting here I would probably tell you to pound sand, that’s just me. Now I know this company has a good reputation and stands by their work. You said you own a company, then you know your employees don’t have the same respect or pride you do. And to suggest they have forgot where they come from is just dumb, or you do not pay attention to the word around, as Cowboy stated they do a hell of a lot for the airboating community, and for someone that has been on the receiving end of the care packages sent by southern airboat (Everyone involved) and diamond back I think you are out of touch with reality to make a statement like they forgot where they came from. Put your BIG boy pants on.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:34 am

KR, it's all a matter of perspective. Your perspective (as well as more than a few others on here) is that I should go pound sand. You're entitled to that. My perspective is I spent $4,800.00 for the work, lost four days production in the office because I was running the airboat back and forth, spent somewhere north of $600.00 for fuel, had been in constant communication with the vendor, including communicating that the results on the video were not satisfactory, was treated with total indifference when I picked up the boat despite having spent considerable money and time, then got home and found the boat even further out than before. At what point does my perspective come to matter?
Last edited by digginfool on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:47 am

cowboy wrote:
jscott wrote:Is this thread allowed to continue because Diamondback is involved? I've seen a lot of these go to the graveyard because of lawsuits, etc...............
Fair question JScott.

This thread remains at the direct request of Bobby@Diamondback.
He did not want it removed.
Probably felt that people might think that removal of this thread would have meant he forgot where he came from.

I really don't know why anyone would think that anyhow.

I don't know Bobby as well as some around here do, but I do know he ain't never been nothing but supportive of Southern Airboat, the FAA, All requests to support in all manner of Airboating Promotions and Charity Efforts, you name it, he's been there for Airboating. No questions asked.

I reckon he does it for the Airboaters, because I reckon he is an Airboater.

So when Bobby asked SouthernAirboat to let this thread remain, it seemed like a small request to deviate from a policy, that was put into place to protect the very Southern Airboaters who would be in Bobby's position in situations such as this one.

Anyway JScott.
Thanks for asking the question on application of the bashing policies in this thread.
I appreciate it. :thumbup:
THE THREAD SHOULD STAY BOBBY BROUGHT THE COMPANY NAME UP NOT THE PERSON WHO POSTED IT .JMO IVE OWNED AND WORKED ON A BUNCH OF HULLS YES THE ALUM DO FLEX AND WEAK BUT BEING OFF 1/4 WHEN RESETTING THE RIG IS KINDA WEIRD IVE HAD THEM BE OFF SOME TO WHERE U HAVE TO ALINE THE HOLES WITH A PUNCH BUT NOT 1/4 AND THAT LIL WILL MAKE IT RIDE DIFFERENT WHEN U SHIFT WEIGHT WE ALL NO THAT AND FOR THAT REASON AND ITS JMO DB SHOULD MAKE IT RIGHT THEIRS NONE OF US THAT WOULD ACCEPT THAT AND IF U SAY U WOULD YOUR FULL OF SHYT !! THE STRINGERS SHOULD OF NEVER HAD ANY HOLES REDRILLED PERIOD UNLESS THE OWNER WAS CALLED AT THE ISSUE WAS DISCUSSED IF I OWNED THE SHOP AND ANY OF MY GUYS WOULD OF DONE THAT WITH OUT MY KNOWLEDGE THEY WOULD BE UNEMPLOYED ...
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:05 am

JAMES wrote:THE THREAD SHOULD STAY BOBBY BROUGHT THE COMPANY NAME UP NOT THE PERSON WHO POSTED IT .JMO IVE OWNED AND WORKED ON A BUNCH OF HULLS YES THE ALUM DO FLEX AND WEAK BUT BEING OFF 1/4 WHEN RESETTING THE RIG IS KINDA WEIRD IVE HAD THEM BE OFF SOME TO WHERE U HAVE TO ALINE THE HOLES WITH A PUNCH BUT NOT 1/4 AND THAT LIL WILL MAKE IT RIDE DIFFERENT WHEN U SHIFT WEIGHT WE ALL NO THAT AND FOR THAT REASON AND ITS JMO DB SHOULD MAKE IT RIGHT THEIRS NONE OF US THAT WOULD ACCEPT THAT AND IF U SAY U WOULD YOUR FULL OF SHYT !! THE STRINGERS SHOULD OF NEVER HAD ANY HOLES REDRILLED PERIOD UNLESS THE OWNER WAS CALLED AT THE ISSUE WAS DISCUSSED IF I OWNED THE SHOP AND ANY OF MY GUYS WOULD OF DONE THAT WITH OUT MY KNOWLEDGE THEY WOULD BE UNEMPLOYED ...

Thank you James.

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:57 am

The question is did you talk to the owner of the company before posting? If you did and he did nothing to remedy the problem than post away, but it sounds like you posted before getting in contact with the right person, which is wrong as 2 boys f@%cking on the white house lawn (I know some of you see nothing wrong with 2 boys on the white house lawn, but I do). I do not own 1 of their boat, and I probably never will, not my style, but I have personally seen the owner of this company look at 10yr old boat like yours on the river even know it was second owner like yours and tell them to bring it to him to fix. Again, if you own a business then you are well aware that your employees don’t always see things like you. I am not saying that’s what happened here, maybe a little inexperience with the bottom.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by boatair » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:11 am

Most people would have handled this a lot differently and their boats probably would have been fixed by now. Just stay on an open forumn and keep flappin your gums and see where that gets you. You should have made a phone call to Bobby and set up an appointment for today and got it fixed instead of being on here waiting for something to happen.

FLA BOY
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FLA BOY » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:30 pm

There are always 3 sides to a story. Sounds like there are no winners in this thread. However, even though this is not always the place to publicize a problem this should be a lesson to be learned by airboaters and manufacturers/shops. No matter who the consumer or manufacturer do not accept the services unless you know it is right and if there is problem stand behind your work. No matter what the cost if you pay for a service you expect to get what you pay for. Sometimes from the business stand point you have to take a loss to make sure that you deliver what you pay for. Just my 2 cents. Going back to the regular scheduled programming of sunny 72 degree weather.....
GSO480/12' Hammant
GPU/12' Richochet

krazymatt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by krazymatt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Take the bolts out an put the bolts in the rigging where you originally had it and take it for a ride.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:25 pm

2 solid points!!
digginfool wrote:Further, an inspection of the bottom of the hull revealed a dimple in the bottom, back under the fuel tank, about 2-1/2 feet in diameter and 1/4" deep. How could this have been missed while the steel flex was applied and then after the poly was installed? The hull was upside down, flat on the ground. Not too hard for somebody to look down the length of the boat to see if it was right…
JAMES wrote:THE STRINGERS SHOULD OF NEVER HAD ANY HOLES REDRILLED PERIOD UNLESS THE OWNER WAS CALLED AT THE ISSUE WAS DISCUSSED IF I OWNED THE SHOP AND ANY OF MY GUYS WOULD OF DONE THAT WITH OUT MY KNOWLEDGE THEY WOULD BE UNEMPLOYED ...
Hope it all works out for everyone involved!! :rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Nice meeting you Wayne! Maybe we can do it again!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:26 pm

digginfool wrote:Nice meeting you Wayne! Maybe we can do it again!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Anytime I here all weekend
Last edited by HuntingBigun on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Have u measured from the bulk head back to each vertical of the stand?
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Disregard , didn't see the pics above !
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gso480jr » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:26 pm

digginfool wrote:This one is particularly interesting. You will note that the bolt on the left, which is the second mount for the forward half of the seat stand, has been moved back but the bolt on the right has been moved forward. All the rest of the bolts on the starboard side has been moved forward. Again, no wallow to the bolt holes but since so little material exists between the holes, I will eventually be left with a slot.
Looks like your rigging was handled abusively, redrilling is not acceptable. That hull did'nt move with rigging out for the poly install. That's just shoddy work, I've let a lot of technicians go for lesser screw ups.

P.Vento
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by P.Vento » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Lift the riggin out weld the unused holes shut and carefully re- use the existing holes till you can buy a new hull with a fresh flat bottom, just saying...

Return to “Airboat Talk”