Another stolen superduty on alligator alley...

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Another stolen superduty on alligator alley...

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:15 am

Just heard another superduty was stolen yesterday while a friend went to test drive a boat. Only gone from ramp a short time (about an hour) he came back to a cut lock and his trailer sitting where he parked his rig... I think its time for somebody to get hurt. :twisted: It's gonna be bad when one of us airboaters catch these guys! NO MERCY for the scumbags...
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

flyn its dien
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Another stolen superduty on alligator alley...

Post by flyn its dien » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am

Set up a sting!

Flametrain

Post by Flametrain » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Sorry to hear about the theft, it's a major problem from Southern Cali to South Florida. The pre-2008 Super Duty Trucks didn't have PATS as standard equipment and are sought after for their ease of theft and ease of parting out or whole vehicle smuggling. Keep in mind, even with PATS, experienced thieves are gonna get it anyway if they want it! Just have good insurance and don't make it easy for them!
Hope they find the scum that that got the truck and stake his tail to an oyster bar at low tide and leave! :angry5: :angry5: :violent1: :violent1:

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:31 pm

For you guys that run down here it was stolen from the first ramp from the toll plaza on the south side. MM32ish and was taken between 6 and 7 pm. Guys just went for a quick shakedown run... They used a saws all to cut the lock off of the trailer to unhook it.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Sucks! But damn how many is it gonna take before one of y'all actually do set and wait for em instead of talk about it. Talk is cheap. Obviously the law down there is to lazy to do it...

gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gator » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Gotta be people with no shame or morals. Us poor slobs work like hell to get what we got. Has to be same people over and over cause they got it down to a science. A sting should be in the works. The shame of it is that they will only get their hands slapped if they get caught for the one time theft and be back at it real soon. No deterrence for thieves. The sad part is if we get caught at a sting, we'll probable come out on the short end of the stick. :banghead:
gator

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:30 pm

JESUS

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME !!!!!!! Post after post after post !!! Hell, even New York City would get LEO out there after this many trucks and set up a sting!!!!! Man, I would start with the newspapers ! If you guys have made complaints and they are not going anywhere, Start complaining to the papers that you have told them over and over and over about this and nothing is being done. Pathetic that squeaky wheels about a crack house gets the Narcotics unit to serve a warrant!!!! And I promise you that several warrants are served just to shut the complainant up or for numbers to show activity.. But they wont set up anything to help the working man.. Bait car stings??? Hello??? ... Jees, take 2 weeks and have someone take a truck matching their description with a boat and put in and go ride. Bug the car, or have someone watch. Don't want to waste Helo fuel? Then have them sit on the ground til its stolen... Do something.. At least go thru the motions and fake it... Sorry for the rant, Maybe I am wrong and they have done something, if so, thank you LEO.. I hope that they work with yall..... This just keeps happening and happening, AND AT THE SAME PLACE, that's what kills me. Not like a serial killer going thru 15 states. this is a frickin boat ramp !!! :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:06 pm

I think the harder it is for Airboaters.... the better law enforcement and local gooberment likes it.
Airboaters Victims serial serial crime included.

If these were ultimate driving machines being stolen from coconut grove, weekend after weekend, they would have the bait car, special interdiction details, swat team, department of groveland security, Kojack, Beauford T Justice, the dog catcher, and the kitchen sink deployed, and a camera crew to capture it all for the views of the news at 11

Don't know why I should think any different, because if the law cared, they would bust some criminal ass.

Obviously you don't gotta wait long for a truck thief to come hit a target based on this latest theft.

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by JT540 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:21 pm

ok its a big swamp down there! set up and wait just like hunting in a blind see the thief take them out then go for an airboat ride drop off bait for gators and leave problem solved just keep your mouth shut if it happens!
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

timmmyy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by timmmyy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:45 pm

hey they might be checking out are web site on this , start pm when you go under cover
Olways on the furst date

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:29 pm

The best thing that can realistically be done is good surveillance cameras positioned at a height to catch the tags of every vehicle that enters/leaves the ramp for follow-up investigation. Where I use to live thieves were stealing ATVs like candy. I had my quad stolen and when the deputy took my report, I asked why they don't set-up a sting operation (like everyone is suggesting for these trucks). It was explained to me like this:

To set up a bait vehicle operation would be very expensive when you take into consideration that you would need, at a minimum, four officers to do so. That type of special operation is usually not conducted with on-duty officers, as the already on-duty officers need to be available for daily calls. So we're talking overtime (time and a half). I don't know what agency has the ramp under their jurisdiction, but let's play it conservative and say their officers make $20 per hour, and at time and a half that's going to be $35 per hour. Let's say they make this a 40 hour per week operation (since trucks are getting stolen at all different times) at $35 per hour, times AT LEAST four officers and you're looking at over $22,000 for one month to run this operation. And that's a conservative number. And even if you caught someone attempting to take the bait truck and you arrest him, there's gonna be another guy next month ready to take his place. So in essence, if they continued this operation they could potentially be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional funds in trying to solve a problem that will persist.

I'm not saying I agree with that logic, but that's how it was explained to me when my quad was stolen and it does make sense. The best thing you can do is buy a GOOD anti-theft device for your truck. Or even better, do what I did and leave your Super Duty at home and buy a $400 1993 F-150 XL to pull the boat with that nobody wants to take, lol.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 pm

it took a while, but the thief who kept stealing from our local boat landing got caught. wasn't by the cops either.
he got beat within a inch of his life and left for dead on the ramp.
every bone worth having was broken.

u know what? it been several years now and nobody has had a problem since at that landing.

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Doing a sting operation to catch these thieves does not generate income for law enforcement. DUI and speeding tickets generate more revenue. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Plain and Simple.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Bait truck,,, Hide, survellience,,, Let him get to sawing on your lock,,, One shot, silencer,,, Probably 2 shots, he has a helper,,,

Drive away,,, Keep your MOUTH SHUT,,,

It would be too easy,,,
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gso480jr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 pm

jopete wrote:it took a while, but the thief who kept stealing from our local boat landing got caught. wasn't by the cops either.
he got beat within a inch of his life and left for dead on the ramp.
every bone worth having was broken.

u know what? it been several years now and nobody has had a problem since at that landing.

There is your answer, adopt the la method. We are quickly running out of sympathy for the owners of the super duty trucks that refuse to adapt. :violent1:

Daniel Altman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Daniel Altman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:29 pm

http://www.ravelco.com/

Was worth every damn penny! I've got a highly moddied (EXPENSIVE!!!!) 96' Cummins and don't worry about it getting stolen anymore!
10' Thurman copy, O-320, WW Cypress, BRAB 51 & RRAA 15

"You can't tourniquet the taint!" Archer

Daniel Altman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Daniel Altman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:03 pm

http://www.ravelco.com/saved.html

Look at the first picture. F250 saved at the boat ramp!
10' Thurman copy, O-320, WW Cypress, BRAB 51 & RRAA 15

"You can't tourniquet the taint!" Archer

Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Muddyduck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Anti theft devices aren't much good if they are using a tow truck.
Dixie, don't the toll booths have cameras...any chance at a picture since the time frame was so short
Many could live on what we have wasted.

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:02 pm

It's a really ease fix. Park a super duty out there wait in the bushes and bust their ass. Take them out for a one way ride. Nothing alittle chain and concrete will cure!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

Flametrain

Post by Flametrain » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:01 pm

The RAVELCO is a full proof unit, just not fool proof! :? It's still up to the owner to pull the plug every time they leave the vehicle and it also disables the remote start feature.

460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by 460 FULLTRACK » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:56 pm

As I have posted before, they are not using a tow truck. There are cameras on the road. We have asked to put up signs and surveillance cameras at the rest stop. We have had a sting done on more than one occasion, and have had the news crews out there and they did there own surveillance. No luck. Too many ramps, trucks, no set pattern, and most importantly, a nonviolent crime. BSO has only one officer assigned to the area. It would cost too much to have multiple deputies in the area and leave the highly populated area to the east unprotected.
I have touted it before, the Ravelco system is the best deterrent to theft. Also, they are stealing super dutys everywhere, not just on the Alley. It still amazes me that someone will spend lots of money on an airboat and their tow vehicle, yet scoff at the 500$ price to put it in. I got lucky and came back to find a chain I had around my tires had been cut. Got the Ravelco system the next day. Well worth it and easier than going under the hood to take out some fuses. If it's easy, you'll do it all the time.

SwampNinja
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SwampNinja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:30 pm

Jesus Christ
"It is what it is."

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by swampfox » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Cost to much to set up baitcars n stings? That's funny Cuz they set buy busts and baitcars with GPS up all the time. To what, bust some guy selling 40$ worth of crack and catch a crack head prostitute??? But not a pandemic in the same area of stolen trucks? Just don't make sense. Sux y'alls trucks keep getting stolen.
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:17 pm

LOJACK, When my sister inlaw's car was stolen. They found it in a few hours. they staked out the warehouse it was at and raided it.
The place was a chop shop. There any many less expensive G.P.S. tracking devices available.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm

That may have to be the key... Having a truck stolen with a tracking device,,, THEN NOTIFY LEO !!!!!!!!!! Then they have to do something about it.. Sad when we (citizens) have to start the ball rolling, but they will jump on when there is a chance on getting the Sheriff on the news just to say " WE SOLVED A MAJOR VEHICLE THEFT/CHOP SHOP RING TODAY"... Thanks to the dedication and unselfish service of our Deputies spending long hard hours working for you, the citizens, keeping you safe and chasing down harden criminals.. When they refused to do a sting in the first place.. I know it costs money, so does surveillance, search warrants, booking, and court when dealing with the crack heads,, just to get out cause it was only their 18th offense...

Oh well..... Its politics... Cant fight the gubmint..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Return to “Airboat Talk”