Who has the best prices on light bars?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
atvracer16
Southern Airboat Member

Who has the best prices on light bars?

Post by atvracer16 »

I'm looking to get a light bar to put on the grass rake of my boat and I found a 32" light bar with two 3" lights with harnesses and all for $330 but don't know if that's reasonable. Has anyone found somewhere that has them for a good price? Thanks
13' Aluminum w/ SBC 350 (440hp), 2.38 Stinger Soft Drive, & 2 Blade 76" R Series

RJ
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Who has the best prices on light bars?

Post by RJ »

Ebay

Fookz92
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fookz92 »

Always get what you pay for :bom:
I wanted a 50 inch light bar for my grass rake but ended up going with 5.5inch LED cubes by lightheaded. And boy am I happy. Saved $ and get the same light output!! PeaRiverOpossum on here will hook you up for sure!
15x8 diamondback, GSO 480, 79" 10 blade warp drive

juice
Southern Airboat Member

Post by juice »

Ebay

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts »

Pm me and I'll let you know....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coopb6
Southern Airboat Member

Post by coopb6 »

I got a question if anyone can answer it. How do you compare halogen lights to lumens? My buddys gigging boat has three 500 watt halogen work lamps running off a generator And it bright. How many lumens is a 500 watt work lamp for $11 at walmart? Im going with four 36 watt 7.5 inch led bars that are 3,000 lumens a piece. I just wanna compare brightness if anyone can answer that.

coopb6
Southern Airboat Member

Post by coopb6 »

And also. The 4 led lights im getting say they draw 2.5 amps. How long can I run 4 led 7.5 inch 3,000 lumen a piece lights on a deep cycle battery on a john boat thats not being charged when in use

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum »

I will reply to answer your questions shortly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

southernstylev8
Southern Airboat Member

Post by southernstylev8 »

i have a led lighting comapny i currently have 4" spot and flood led lights in stock as well as 20" and 50" bars curved bars in a combo beam they are all made in the usa with cree leds stainless hardware aluminum housings and completly waterproof and carry a ip68 certification
4" 18 watt pods are $50 each
20" 120watt bars $225 each
$50" 288watt bars $550
email offroadledlights@yahoo.com for more info and ordering

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

I will do my best to address all your questions. Let me know if you still need help.
I got a question if anyone can answer it. How do you compare halogen lights to lumens? My buddys gigging boat has three 500 watt halogen work lamps running off a generator And it bright. How many lumens is a 500 watt work lamp for $11 at walmart? I'm going with four 36 watt 7.5 inch led bars that are 3,000 lumens a piece. I just wanna compare brightness if anyone can answer that.
I run into this question all the time. To my knowledge, there is no direct conversion but see the excerpt below from one of my previous post for an explanation.

The 7.5" (AKA 6" lens ) bars that you bought....If they are combos (and most are) you are going to be disappointed. I hope you got all floods. We have done a lot of expensive testing and already figured this out the hard way. This is what you gain when you buy from a local guy vs Ebay/Amazon. We were ordering them in all FLOOD. Another thing you run in to is that they (Whoo Jong Ill from Ebay) have been known to send whatever they want. I've even had guys call me and ask me if I would swap them out b/c Ebay seller sent them the wrong ones after I helped them choose what they needed. :lol:

Additionally, Not all of these Chinese light bars are the same. There are several to choose from. They are available with cheap LEDs or quality LEDs, cheap or quality drivers, cheap or quality wire,...you get the point. Bottom line is that they all look the same. Another reason to buy from a reputable guy....
And also. The 4 led lights im getting say they draw 2.5 amps. How long can I run 4 led 7.5 inch 3,000 lumen a piece lights on a deep cycle battery on a john boat thats not being charged when in use
This is answered below also. Tell me what Ah battery you have and I can give you a pretty good guess on run time. Of course it will depend on the condition of your battery.

From post:
http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... lit=+watts

After a quick search I see that a 500 Watt Halogen emits roughly 10,000-11,000 lumens. And lets keep things in perspective and understand what that 500 Watts actually means. Contrary to popular belief, watts is not a measure of light even though we often associate it that way. When I was growing up, if a 50 watt wasn't bright enough then we used a 75 or 100. So it is easily confused. Not until recently have I noticed lights being rated in lumens and that was with the introduction of LEDs. Watts is actually a measure of ENERGY used. For example, take a look at your power bill. It is measured in Kilowatts (thousands of watts). Amp (Current) draw between the LEDs and the 500 Watt Halogens are hard to compare since the LEDs us DC don't require a noisy breaking down all the time generator and Halogens do. That is MAJOR benefit numero uno! So back to light output comparison. The theoretical current draw and outputs are listed below:
6" 36 Watts@12V 2,880 Lm
12" 72 Watts@12V 5,760 Lm
20" 120 Watt@12V 9,600 Lm
30" 180 Watt@12V 14,400 Lm
40" 240 Watt@12V 19,200 Lm
50" 288 Watt@12V 24,000 LM
I have found the actual current draw on these to be significantly less. For example, the 50" bar is rated at 288w. Well, to get amperage 288w/12v should be 24a but they come in at 18.4 amps. Which is a good thing when it comes to how long your battery lasts. And another factor to consider when figuring how long your battery will last depends on what the Amp hour rating of your battery is. Batteries are rated in many ways but Ah or Amphour rating is how many amps a battery can "give" in an hour. FYI...If you plan to run lights for extended periods I recommend wiring your batteries in series and run a 24 VDC system for your lights. MAJOR benefit #2 is that these lights will run at 100% power with an input anywhere in the range of 9-32 VDC so they do not dim. They stay at 100% efficiency until the voltage drops below 9 VDC. My Duralast 29 Series Deep Cycle batteries are 115 Ah. So if you take a 20" bar that is roughly equal in lumen rating to the 500 Watt Halogen and run it from that one battery WITHOUT input from an alternator it will theoretically operate for 11.5 hours. If it is ran from a 24 VDC system, it would operate for 2x 11.5 so 23 hours. I think that is pretty damn impressive myself. The way that I figured that is: W / E = A; then A / Ah= T.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:I will do my best to address all your questions. Let me know if you still need help.
I got a question if anyone can answer it. How do you compare halogen lights to lumens? My buddys gigging boat has three 500 watt halogen work lamps running off a generator And it bright. How many lumens is a 500 watt work lamp for $11 at walmart? I'm going with four 36 watt 7.5 inch led bars that are 3,000 lumens a piece. I just wanna compare brightness if anyone can answer that.
I run into this question all the time. To my knowledge, there is no direct conversion but see the excerpt below from one of my previous post for an explanation.

The 7.5" (AKA 6" lens ) bars that you bought....If they are combos (and most are) you are going to be disappointed. I hope you got all floods. We have done a lot of expensive testing and already figured this out the hard way. This is what you gain when you buy from a local guy vs Ebay/Amazon. We were ordering them in all FLOOD. Another thing you run in to is that they (Whoo Jong Ill from Ebay) have been known to send whatever they want. I've even had guys call me and ask me if I would swap them out b/c Ebay seller sent them the wrong ones after I helped them choose what they needed. :lol:

Additionally, Not all of these Chinese light bars are the same. There are several to choose from. They are available with cheap LEDs or quality LEDs, cheap or quality drivers, cheap or quality wire,...you get the point. Bottom line is that they all look the same. Another reason to buy from a reputable guy....
This is answered below also. Tell me what Ah battery you have and I can give you a pretty good guess on run time. Of course it will depend on the condition of your battery.

From post:
http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... lit=+watts

After a quick search I see that a 500 Watt Halogen emits roughly 10,000-11,000 lumens. And lets keep things in perspective and understand what that 500 Watts actually means. Contrary to popular belief, watts is not a measure of light even though we often associate it that way. When I was growing up, if a 50 watt wasn't bright enough then we used a 75 or 100. So it is easily confused. Not until recently have I noticed lights being rated in lumens and that was with the introduction of LEDs. Watts is actually a measure of ENERGY used. For example, take a look at your power bill. It is measured in Kilowatts (thousands of watts). Amp (Current) draw between the LEDs and the 500 Watt Halogens are hard to compare since the LEDs us DC don't require a noisy breaking down all the time generator and Halogens do. That is MAJOR benefit numero uno! So back to light output comparison. The theoretical current draw and outputs are listed below:
6" 36 Watts@12V 2,880 Lm
12" 72 Watts@12V 5,760 Lm
20" 120 Watt@12V 9,600 Lm
30" 180 Watt@12V 14,400 Lm
40" 240 Watt@12V 19,200 Lm
50" 288 Watt@12V 24,000 LM
I have found the actual current draw on these to be significantly less. For example, the 50" bar is rated at 288w. Well, to get amperage 288w/12v should be 24a but they come in at 18.4 amps. Which is a good thing when it comes to how long your battery lasts. And another factor to consider when figuring how long your battery will last depends on what the Amp hour rating of your battery is. Batteries are rated in many ways but Ah or Amphour rating is how many amps a battery can "give" in an hour. FYI...If you plan to run lights for extended periods I recommend wiring your batteries in series and run a 24 VDC system for your lights. MAJOR benefit #2 is that these lights will run at 100% power with an input anywhere in the range of 9-32 VDC so they do not dim. They stay at 100% efficiency until the voltage drops below 9 VDC. My Duralast 29 Series Deep Cycle batteries are 115 Ah. So if you take a 20" bar that is roughly equal in lumen rating to the 500 Watt Halogen and run it from that one battery WITHOUT input from an alternator it will theoretically operate for 11.5 hours. If it is ran from a 24 VDC system, it would operate for 2x 11.5 so 23 hours. I think that is pretty damn impressive myself. The way that I figured that is: W / E = A; then A / Ah= T.
That is why I buy my lights from Kenny. the boy is a walking talking light expert :thumbleft:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Stillbroke
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Stillbroke »

PeaRiver, how do the cubes work for the darker water. Ive been shooting tilapia for years in lake George out of john boats but just really getting into airboats. We used to just use a Qbeam and call it good. I was thinking of ordering two of your cubes to mount on the grass rake and have them so I can turn them down towards the water more when we start looking. Also, I've heard of lights " burning frogs " guess that means they feel the warmth of the lights and spook. How are your cubes in this respect. Thanks, Stillbroke.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

I got a question and it may be overlooking something. Have you actually measured the 20" Bar current draw at 12 VDC then again at 24 VDC?

Just seems to me like the Power draw will have to change if ya double the voltage.

Typically batteries in parallel with double the Amperage they can supply at the same 12 Volts DC.
Typically batteries in series will double the Voltage they develop but at the same power as a single battery.

So to get twice the time it seems the Light Bar must require half the Power at 24VDC as it does at 12VDC. Is this really the case? I just cant see it being a 120Watt strip at both Voltage levels. It calculates that the strip at 12 VDC develops 12 Ohms internal resistance and at 24 VDC it develops 4.8 Ohms internal resistance. There has to be a variable somewhere and it has to be in the light bar doesn't it?? Seems its only a 120 watt strip at 12 VDC and a 60Watt strip at 24VDC. In my mind this would account for the doubled run time.

Have I missed something? If so I'm always ready to learn.

Anybody trying to follow this, here is an Ohms Law Calculator
http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_l ... ulator.php
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Oilfield Trash
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Oilfield Trash »

Whitebear wrote:ust seems to me like the Power draw will have to change if ya double the voltage.

Typically batteries in parallel with double the Amperage they can supply at the same 12 Volts DC.
Typically batteries in series will double the Voltage they develop but at the same power as a single battery.

So to get twice the time it seems the Light Bar must require half the Power at 24VDC as it does at 12VDC. Is this really the case? I just cant see it being a 120Watt strip at both Voltage levels. It calculates that the strip at 12 VDC develops 12 Ohms internal resistance and at 24 VDC it develops 4.8 Ohms internal resistance. There has to be a variable somewhere and it has to be in the light bar doesn't it?? Seems its only a 120 watt strip at 12 VDC and a 60Watt strip at 24VDC. In my mind this would account for the doubled run time.
I come from the same school as Kenny, Literally. I'll do my best to help him out on the minor technicality on the novel he just wrote! Great info btw Kenny!

On Kenny's last example a 120w 20" bar run at 24vdc would pull 5 amps. If the batteries are wired in series parallel that would provide double the voltage and capacity(see picture). So total run time for a 20" light bar on 2 - 115aH batteries wired this way would give a total run time of 46 hours. Of course there are variables as heat is built up in the circuit (these variables are seen in the form of resistance). (115x2 = 230/5amps = 46)

If they are just wired in series that's double the voltage and same capacity. Wire the same two batteries up in series and you'll get 23 hours of run time. It's easy to see the advantage of wiring it up series parallel.

So Whitebear - You are correct. Half the power draw at twice the voltage. (although I think you had a typo on the calculation - 12vdc is 1.2 ohms)
Attachments
batteries-in-series-and-parallel-0042.png
Last edited by Oilfield Trash on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Ok were on the same page I think. That could have been either a typo or a fat finger on an internet calculator error LOL.

Series parallel with 4 x 115 AH batteries will provide 24VDC @ 230 AH.

Series with 2 x 115 AH batteries will provide 24 VDC @ 115 AH

Less current draw for the lights at 24 VDC = greater run time.

:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Stillbroke wrote:PeaRiver, how do the cubes work for the darker water. Ive been shooting tilapia for years in lake George out of john boats but just really getting into airboats. We used to just use a Qbeam and call it good. I was thinking of ordering two of your cubes to mount on the grass rake and have them so I can turn them down towards the water more when we start looking. Also, I've heard of lights " burning frogs " guess that means they feel the warmth of the lights and spook. How are your cubes in this respect. Thanks, Stillbroke.
I've had mixed reviews about dark water. Some like them and some like a more yellow light. This is a huge debate on the bowfishing forums. Those guys are crazy over light colors. You are always welcome to try them and send them back if they don't suit your needs. I don't want anyone to be stuck with something and I know how it is buying stuff on the Internet sight unseen. That is why I do not like buying stuff like this from eBay.
I think the term burning them down down is a generalized figure of speech meaning that the frogs dive when the lights hit them. I'm not sure that they actually feel anything but I've often wondered this myself. I've never had that problem regardless of what kind of light that I am using so I cannot speak from experience. I imagine whether the frogs duck depends on many variables such as environmental, ambient light conditions and how much pressure they are under. Where I frog they don't get any pressure so the more light the better but I've had some customers tell me just the opposite.

Oilfield Trash
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Oilfield Trash »

Whitebear wrote:Ok were on the same page I think. That could have been either a typo or a fat finger on an internet calculator error LOL.

Series parallel with 4 x 115 AH batteries will provide 24VDC @ 230 AH.

Series with 2 x 115 AH batteries will provide 24 VDC @ 115 AH

Less current draw for the lights at 24 VDC = greater run time.

:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
Yes sir :salute: (2x115aH batt in series parallel will get ya the 230aH )

It's not too common to see stuff for small boats wired in series parallel due to the need for 12v for engine and other accessories but out in the oilfield it's the only way it's done. And then we have redundant battery banks on top of that.

For low draw LED's just running series is all ya need!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Except now were down to semantics. It takes 4 batteries to have a series parallel bank. 2 batteries can either be connected in series or parallel but its impossible to connect two batteries in series parallel. I certainly do understand what you are saying though.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

I'm glad ya'll got that all straightened out. I was driving all afternoon and keeping an eye on ya'll :lol: but couldn't participate and drive.

jrlyles
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by jrlyles »

Give Outdoor Life Solution's a call.he is Local and has a large selection of light bar's.# is 386 295 8011. Kevin Hendricks.
Junior Lyles
Volusia County Sportman's Conservation Association
Florida Airboat Association Member
Preach & lead singing at revival meetings on the side

Kevin hendricks
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Kevin hendricks »

OK! My name is Kevin Hendricks and I am owner operator of a small business called Outdoor Life Solutions, I am on facebook and also have a web site you can visit http://www.outdoorlifesolutions.com . I believe I have what you guys and gals are looking for! I have the dual row led bars that will turn night into day! 6",12",20",30",40",50" also I have cubes, strobes, and I am the only authorized dealer for Gator Waders!!!! and the all new 2014 designs will be out really soon! please feel free to call if you have any questions or to order all major credit cards accepted! we have glow whips, led go lights also amber light bars 4 and 6 inches! 386-295-8011

Ronaldregan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ronaldregan »

Just got 6, 5in cubes from Kenny love um. I believe LA frogs use suntan lotion they don't get burned until they hit the pan.

Return to “Airboat Talk”