Me again

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Me again

Postby newoldglory » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Some times I feel like the chosen ONE. Most folks know that I operate tour boats for Sawgrass Rec Park and live at the Old Glory Camp year round. As a 70 year young Captain, I see folks from around the world that are on vacation. Some, I praise for their open love and trust for humanity where ever they travel and then there those that I find disgusting and are only here to take advantage of the "fat and weak" Americans.
Today was a special day for me and the parents of a 4 year old "little man". The tour went as usual but I was not aware of a "Special Transformation" going on just below my Pilot's seat. (On many tour boats, the pilot's seat is located above the passenger seats so that the Captain can clearly see what is ahead for safety and to spot wildlife and/or other things of interest to the passengers). I had noticed a family, Mother, Father and two children in the second row. (I'm particular to families). The Father was paying particular attention to me as I was telling about wild life in the Everglades. Naturally, "Gators" was the prime topic. Mom was busy with tending to the kids and Dad spent time talking to the youngest. I assumed that he was teaching the child things that a 4 year old would not understand. Once back on the dock and the passengers unloaded, the family waited for the others to clear and approached me. I figured that they wanted a picture with the "Captain" as some passengers do. What transpired next was a once in a lifetime experience. The 4 year old was growing into a man. He was holding a 12" long fuzzy "Aggie Gator" that he had since he mas born. He did not know about Gators in the wild. "Aggie had been his friend , companion, pacifier and protector since birth. Seeing a Gator in the wild, his Father told him that the gator was his friends Mother. The child did not comprehend the difference between a wild animal and a stuffed toy. The 4 year old wanted to return his friend to it's mother. The Father told the boy that he could not do this in this way. The child was so intent that he would not give in. Once on the dock, the Dad came to me and explained the problem. He asked me to carry out the boy's wishes. I proudly accepted the request and the little man gave "Angie" to me to return it to it's Mother. I promised "little man" that I would "take care" of this situation for him. "Little man" stepped forward and gave me a hug that I will never forget. He quickly turned and stepped away. As he walked away, his mother wiped the tears from his eyes. Mom and Dad was ecstatic to say the least. "Little Man" is black. Some days are better than others!!!!! :angel4:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Re: Me again

Postby SteveReid » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Good job, Print this and hang it with with Aggie Gator. Hope you got their name in case they come back some day. Nothing like seeing Kids grow up.

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby dougeey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:58 pm

Gerald , you may be rough and tough but you got a soft spot for kids I have seen that!!!! As always good job . Doug

davemotes
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby davemotes » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:04 pm

You are awesome dad.... :salute:

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:19 pm

Gerald,
From one captain to another I can only hope to keep reading your posts, Good stuff and real life that no money could buy or replace.

Batch
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Batch » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Little man" stepped forward and gave me a hug that I will never forget. He quickly turned and stepped away. As he walked away, his mother wiped the tears from his eyes. Mom and Dad was ecstatic to say the least.

Great story Gerald! I was wondering if you were gonna keep Aggie also.

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby gobblerD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Good stuff. I like reading your posts Gerald.

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby KC5AKB » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:49 pm

Keep on keeping on .
You are a true Gladesman .
And I also follow some of your posts.
BRAB45 RRAB 17

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III