HELP NEEDED

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: HELP NEEDED

Post by digginfool » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 pm

I also want to thank everyone who lent a hand. I couldn't have done it without each of you. I felt guilty not being there but all of us were beyond exhausted when fire rescue gave us a ride back. This is a special community that would rally the way they did today. I feel blessed. Special thanks to Jason. He came out at 3 AM to help when he could/should have been filling his gator tags and instead got drawn into one helluva mess. Big thanks also go out to Korey, Marshall, Marty and Brett. Once again, I thank all of you who sacrificed your Sunday to help me. It was exceedingly kind and I owe you.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

mfreem
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mfreem » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Found the boat area after about an hour after hitting the water, and after receiving the coordinates that were posted. Little late after BSO showed up. Im glad that resource was utilized, thats what they are there for. Thanks also to Jim Weber who took some of his personal time to help me look. On the bright side, looks like everybody made it out okay, and looks like I'll now have sandwiches and drinks for a week LOL Overall a successful day and had a good trip.

highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Post by highlife57 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 am

Awsome Guys :thumbleft:

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:03 am

Great to see that all turned out well and great job by all. :salute:
It's not much help at this point but I have frog legs that I will cook for you guys to get you a "JUMP" start on you're next adventure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

OLD MAN JONES
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by OLD MAN JONES » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Please post pics and video, or links to such... it was a hell of a job, but a great show of character from the many involved. I for one did not get the opportunity to get a video of running that rank shi+, but several of the people there did. I have to say, of the 40 odd times I have pulled or pushed a boat in distress, this was the bitchenest of all .
The boats were heading out of the center point of this head and towards a slough, but still had over 100 yards of Myrtle between them and freedom. With some backbone, a chainsaw and a community sized effort it all went well and the removal of the boats from there wooded doom was a good day after all.
My interpretation of this situation was one of WTF ! upon arrival there were no signs of the. 2 boats, half of the rescue group couldn't even remember where the heck they just came from. When I finally got there after 3 pm. the crew was heading towards MM41 and I met tbe in fron of Smokes 2 story camp. Of the 7 boats I intercepted, none were clear on the location of the 2 boats buried in some random head. Well... we just took out from Smokes slough and made a B-line to the tower on the horizon. I made 9 overlapping left circles to get close to the front of Digginfools boat and lay down an exit trail. Luckly there was a chainsaw and some good pulling rope on hand. Bret took that nice boat of his up through the jungle too and found a hell of a stump just behind Jason's boat, so off in the shiz I go with my 18' DiamondBack to aid some more. Now we are behind Jason's boat and Bretts boat is facing the sky. 4 of us lift his rake and maneuver the boat towards an opening the size of a Fiat, Brett floored it and got out a dodge.

Next comes Jason's barge: soap on a rope.... nope! Just a lil Dawn with some booty shakin for her and let me tell ya, the buisness end of his barge is mean! Best damn blow job i had this year :toothy7:

Finally we decide as a storm is fast approaching and the sun is setting, it's now or never for Greg's lead sled !
With 9 guys some proper tools a boat with no prop and a blown motor is no problem. Just add the right amount of liquid courage, some rope, a tug barge from Mack's Fish Camp and a couple cheerleaders with some cameras.
With one mighty heave a d a tug she got the first and worst 100' then there was a myrtle the size of Texas, so ralley the troops agian to heave as I tug and voila. .. that slough never looked so good as it did just then gleaming in the last light of a long day. Everyone stopped just long enough to commemorate a job well done and then we took off for the soft glow of the eastern horizon.

As ferry tale endings go, this was a good one and probably more eventful than most movies, ever.
Last edited by OLD MAN JONES on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LIVING FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR EVERGLADES..
WWW.MACKSFISHCAMP.COM A traditional cultural Gladesman property.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:44 pm

I have to say, you guys are the best. I know it was a helluva a job getting those boats out. Thanks again, Marshall, and everybody else who had a hand in the rescue.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

OLD MAN JONES
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by OLD MAN JONES » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Greg, Jason
I would be there agian in a minute. Luckly there were lots of willing and able bodied people there at the right time.
The airboating community is one of only few left where you will find Integrity and Honor amongst those true to the cause.
Being raised in the Everglades, I was taught to aid and assist when possible and never under unnecessary circumstances do you leave anyone in the woods. When I first seen this thread it was noon yesterday. After making several calls I felt as though my help was nessecarry to get the job done. The 2 boats in trouble were big and heavy, just like mine :thumbleft:
Jason did make a monumental effort to get to you, whoever cleared that area in front of Jasons boat did a hell of a job !

Your (Digginfool) boat was 14" above the water on fern beds ! Lickly the manpower made thing possible. All were apt to jumping in and helping, even the leery ones.

In the end there were no injuries to speak of, no damage that can't be fixed and a ton of comradery.

Chalk one up to experience and be sure to gain confidence in your landmarks and reference points. Nothing beats experience and preparedness when having to rough it out there. Be sure to remember the sloughs and tree islande almost always run North to South, by length. Also if you see myrtles or willows in your headlights and they are getting taller make an about face if possible. At night, even the experienced airboaters get turned around, often. Just remember you are burning the same or less fuel by cruising around an island in the slough, rather than blasting a b-line to ?

This is a generel message, for all that may read it, hopefully understood by those willing to test the night.

God Bless the :proud:

OLD MAN JONES
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by OLD MAN JONES » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Greg, Jason
I would be there agian in a minute. Luckly there were lots of willing and able bodied people there at the right time.
The airboating community is one of only few left where you will find Integrity and Honor amongst those true to the cause.
Being raised in the Everglades, I was taught to aid and assist when possible and never under unnecessary circumstances do you leave anyone in the woods. When I first seen this thread it was noon yesterday. After making several calls I felt as though my help was nessecarry to get the job done. The 2 boats in trouble were big and heavy, just like mine :thumbleft:
Jason did make a monumental effort to get to you, whoever cleared that area in front of Jasons boat did a hell of a job !

Your (Digginfool) boat was 14" above the water on fern beds ! Lickly the manpower made thing possible. All were apt to jumping in and helping, even the leery ones.

In the end there were no injuries to speak of, no damage that can't be fixed and a ton of comradery.

Chalk one up to experience and be sure to gain confidence in your landmarks and reference points. Nothing beats experience and preparedness when having to rough it out there. Be sure to remember the sloughs and tree islande almost always run North to South, by length. Also if you see myrtles or willows in your headlights and they are getting taller make an about face if possible. At night, even the experienced airboaters get turned around, often. Just remember you are burning the same or less fuel by cruising around an island in the slough, rather than blasting a b-line to ?

This is a generel message, for all that may read it, hopefully understood by those willing to test the night.

God Bless the :proud:

PM
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by PM » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:42 pm

It was a hell of a time yesterday Marshall. Since the tracks couldn't get to us it was great to have that beast you came over with!
15' Rivermaster (Hoffman)

PM
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by PM » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Here is a picture of what they were buried in. You can see Jason's flag in the middle.
Attachments
055.jpg

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:02 pm

PM wrote:Here is a picture of what they were buried in. You can see Jason's flag in the middle.

Not that it matters, but I believe that is my boat. I had nearly made it out when my engine blew. Jason's boat was farther in (thanks to me :banghead: :banghead: ).

PM
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by PM » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Greg, I could see your rigging. Yours was a little further north. It was definitely Jason's. Neither here nor there it was some bad stuff. It doesn't look like it but that flag is probably close to 100 yards back in the rank stuff.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:11 pm

PM wrote:Greg, I could see your rigging. Yours was a little further north. It was definitely Jason's. Neither he nor there it was some bad stuff.
That's possible. He had put a flag on the top of a long pole earlier so Fire & Rescue could find us. It just looks like some of my aluminum rigging just to the left of the flag. Like I said, it doesn't matter whose boat it was. That was wickedly dense stuff. Thanks for posting the picture. Hopefully, there are more.

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:44 pm

That's the bad part about airboats.. When they break or get hung up back there, it's gonna be a long day/night!! U either need a heli, full track or a lot of friends..
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 pm

blackwaterairboats wrote: I want to thank everyone involved again it really means a lot to mean and my family. If any of you ever need anything you can always call me and I will be there. Thank you again!
That goes for me as well. You need me, call me. You need my phone number to have on hand just in case? PM me. If I can't help you, I'll call Blackwater. :lol: (Just kidding)

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Pat Daily posted these on Facebook
Attachments
stuck03.jpg
stuck02.jpg
stuck01.jpg

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:57 pm

I'm glad you Knuckleheads are ok!

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Glad everyone made it out okay.

Remember we have contact phone numbers of the board members on our website www.browardairboatclub.com and if someone isn't immediately available to help, we can typically find someone who can.

Big props to everyone who helped out.
BCAHCC Member

Return to “Airboat Talk”