Thinking about buying first boat

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
JohnE
Southern Airboat Member

Thinking about buying first boat

Post by JohnE » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:28 pm

I've been a lurker on here for a few years now, thinking about biting the bullet in the next few months and buying a boat. Mostly I want to hog hunt and frog gig out of it. Not real sure what exactly I want or what would be best suited for me. Budget would be around 7k tops.

Also, If anyone could possibly take me out for a ride, I'd dang sure appreciate it. I would supply the beer and some gas money if needed. I live on the Mormon ranch over by Holopaw. Thanks

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Thinking about buying first boat

Post by scottyroll » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 am

You can get a little gigging boat for under 7k but a reliable C/M with gear reduction or big displacement AC boat will put you well over 7k most likely. Hunt boats that will run dry and can "4x4" thru the terrain come with a bigger price tag. Keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds and don't pull the trigger on anything your not completely comfortable with...this is an expensive hobby and every boat has a story - mine for example is at a chapter named "blown up engine." Hopefully someone will give you a ride and show you the in's and outs of airboating soon. Good luck :salute:
Last edited by scottyroll on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:29 am

This Stossel from the classifieds should be able to do everything you're looking for within your budget. http://www.southernairboat.com/classifi ... 200hp.html

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:03 pm

for 7k you can find a good boat with a GPU engine that will be a grat frogging boat and run some dry, maybe even alot of dry. it won't be new, but that is not a bad thing.
Guy down the road from me dropped over 80k on his airboat last year. i spent 6500$ it's all relative. lol

good luck.

MarshinIt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MarshinIt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:08 pm

In that price range, Id definitely go for a higher hp 4 cyl. I wouldn't go any lower than a 160 hp. I currently have a 0320 that is built really light and it takes me and another person anywhere we need to go. I hunt, gig, and fish out of it all the time. Youre just limited on people, dogs, gear, etc. But it will definitely get you started and you can always go from there.

Thunder200
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Thunder200 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:12 pm

I have an 0360/200HP on a Panther Thunder Hull. Got over $20k in new build. If you could pick that Stossel boat up for $6000 From the above mentioned post you would be way ahead of the Game. with it being a deck over boat would also be a great boat to learn since they are really hard to swamp as opposed to an open boat. Fuel consumption is great and still Plenty of power. Test ride, Compression check and lay some Bennys on the table and ride out. Good luck!!

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:27 pm

I did alot of boat hunting when I bought mine and for under 7000 unless you go with a 4cylinder you wont find anything worth it.

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:08 pm

RUN!!!! While u still have a savings account!! Lol
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

southbound125
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southbound125 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:55 pm

run!! I like that! but for real, if you buy something to old and not to reliable, hell in a few more months you will have to put 5000.00 in fixing ever thing that breaks. trust me, I've had a boat that suck my bank account every time I started it. if your not able to turn wrenches on a airboat, then you had better save mo money and buy a reliable one! just trying to look out for you!
13.6 GTO / motivation by 383 small block chevy / OX BOX 2.68 to 1 / R blade prop !

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:05 pm

DON'T DO IT!! SAVE YOUR MONEY, PUT YOUR KIDS THROUGH COLLEGE, AND PAY OFF YOUR MORTGAGE!! :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:01 am

Lol it's not the purchase price that kills you it's the gas oil and fixing it that will :). Ask how I know that. Heck ask anyone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLA BOY
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FLA BOY » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:06 am

JohnE wrote:I've been a lurker on here for a few years now, thinking about biting the bullet in the next few months and buying a boat. Mostly I want to hog hunt and frog gig out of it. Not real sure what exactly I want or what would be best suited for me. Budget would be around 7k tops.

Also, If anyone could possibly take me out for a ride, I'd dang sure appreciate it. I would supply the beer and some gas money if needed. I live on the Mormon ranch over by Holopaw. Thanks

John I live over in Vero and could take you for a ride sometime. We could meet at the east marsh which is about halfway in between. Maybe 30-40 mins south east of you. This week and weekend is not good, but could probably do next week. Would love to ride the old Mormon ranch. Havent been there in years.
GSO480/12' Hammant
GPU/12' Richochet

JohnE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JohnE » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:14 pm

southbound125 wrote:run!! I like that! but for real, if you buy something to old and not to reliable, hell in a few more months you will have to put 5000.00 in fixing ever thing that breaks. trust me, I've had a boat that suck my bank account every time I started it. if your not able to turn wrenches on a airboat, then you had better save mo money and buy a reliable one! just trying to look out for you!
That's definitely something to think about. I'm dang sure no mechanic.

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 pm

If u are no mechanic I suggest a car motor where u can find help more easily and affordable.. A good start in that price range would be a direct drive caddy 13-14 ft probably. Maybe save a little more up and wait for a good deal on a gearbox boat. See them from time to time around 8
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

darrell
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by darrell » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:49 pm

I would have to say I would definitely go for a aircraft 4 cyl I would try for a 160 or up lycoming their damn reliable just build it light and right and have a blast
if you argue with an idiot who is the real idiot
12x7 traditions hull Moore built av540 74" ww

Return to “Airboat Talk”