WRAC Recreational Issues Workshop

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
bwright
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

WRAC Recreational Issues Workshop

Post by bwright » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:45 am

Today Monday WRAC Recreational Issues Workshop hope to see you their.

Agenda
WATER RESOURCES ADVISORY COMMISSION Recreational Issues Workshop September 15, 2014, 5:00 PM District Headquarters - B-1 Auditorium 3301 Gun Club Road, West Palm Beach, FL 33406

1. Welcome, Opening Remarks, and Purpose of Workshop - Newton Cook, Chairman (5m)

2. Recreation Discussion, Updates, and Future Meeting Topics (25m)

3. Update on the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail - Ingrid Bon, P.E.,
Project Manager Forward, Jacksonville District, US Army Corps of Engineers (10p 10d)

4. Overview of the Florida Wildlife Federation - Manley Fuller, President, Florida Wildlife Federation (15p 5d)

5. Proposed Statewide Largemouth Bass Fishing Regulations - Barron Moody, Regional Fisheries Administrator, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (15p 10d)

6. Overview of the Avian Protection Plan within Stormwater Treatment Areas - Brian Garrett, Scientist III, Land Stewardship Section, Field Operations and Land Management Division, SFWMD (15p 10d)

7. Update on Hunting Areas on District Lands - Jerry Krenz, Sr. Planner, Land Stewardship Section, Field Operations and Land Management Division, SFWMD (20p 15d)

8. Public Use Projects Update - Dan Cotter, Section Leader, Land Stewardship Section, Field Operations and Land Management Division, SFWMD (15p 10d)

9. Adjourn
Palm Beach open hull, full grass rake, conduit rigging, up stack I0540, swinging A Q series 72', single rudder / old school

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Winston Churchill.

OLD MAN JONES
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: WRAC Recreational Issues Workshop

Post by OLD MAN JONES » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm

I fully planned on being there today, unfortunately I had a busy work day. Hole all went well. Ease let us know the key topics discussed and the tone to which they are aying our recreational issues.
LIVING FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR EVERGLADES..
WWW.MACKSFISHCAMP.COM A traditional cultural Gladesman property.

bwright
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bwright » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:11 am

OLD MAN JONES wrote:I fully planned on being there today, unfortunately I had a busy work day. Hole all went well. Ease let us know the key topics discussed and the tone to which they are aying our recreational issues.
Marshall as you requested here are my notes I can't tell you how much recreation we have gained through committee meetings like this it's important that the sportsmen have faith/ trust and participate in meetings no matter how painful some of them may be it's the only way will gain the most access that we deserve.

Bishop Notes;
Like always there was a good showing of at least 20 different concerned users South Florida Water Management Land looking for the most recreation possible that meets in suits your purpose. Around 15 employees from SFWM, USFWS, FWC, army corps of engineers, and Palm Beach County

The agenda items on Future Meeting Topics this is where we get clarifications from someone who specializes in the area and the problem of concern. Here's a list of a few comments made during the meeting that request some special attention.

A. Target shouting on WEA & WMA; As Sportsmens we're concerned of where the bullet goes when there's new backdrop and place people just shooting cans along the grades across levies and into the water, not to mention structures and signs. We appreciate the new gun law but it does bring some problems that needs to be corrected.

B. Airboat Gate on Ready Creek; This issue was resolved before the meeting even started as some of you may know the Airboat gate was removed over the summer. The 50 quota permits were also removed so everyone will have access to this area now, The SFWM will work with airboat community and rebuilding some sort of gate currently now there's a swing gate for us to use, we will need to be closed as you access the area.

C. Boats and Accesses on WMA & WEA; Looking for clarification and what vessels are allowed to use an area and what vessels are not allowed beyond signs.

D. Rollin Meadows; Will not open for Hunting this year the Construction will be started this fall.

E. Gate on the C18 by the South Gate of JW Corbett; Previously A FWC Officer purchased the land and easement rights this blocked off everybody's access since then the land has been purchased back by the state. (yes this was a loophole and someone used it for financial gains) The problem we have now is the gate was moved a quarter mile up the levee which blocks off a boat ramp that was used for recreational purposes by all.

Other items discussed that SA would be interested; east side of Lake Okeechobee Dyke has been repaired and under construction eventually they will move all way around to the western borders of the Dyke. So yes this means there will be rocks at the bottom of the levee from the Kissimmee River West to Fisheating Creek. Maybe they will run out of money before they ruin the airboat access we have as of today.

Update on Hunting Areas on District Lands this spring we will have hog hunting at Dupuis WEA April & May we also asked staff if they would look in to having some of the same opportunity on the Kissemmee PUA.

Overview of the Florida Wildlife Federation by Manley Fuller (personal opinion) Anyone knows me knows I have a pretty good memory and for the last 28 years I've been working on conservation issues, most of them I take personal. After his presentation I realized how out of touch FWF really is with the Sportsmens community Manley also has one hell of a good memory to. Sitting in the meeting thinking of the Fisheating Creek days, the Kissimmee Prairie State Park days, and the merger between GFC and Marine Patrol at that time I was a board member FWF. A lot of the Sportsmens community but all of their eggs in the FWF basket.

Looking in the rearview mirror on today's outcome I'm very proud that I was a part of forming the Sportsmens Trust group three years ago. If our eggs we're all in this basket some 15 years ago we would be setting high and dry with a lot more recreation I do honestly believe that. Truly believe we have more power also have gained more accessed and have a Sportsmens voice not only at the state level but in Washington to. Nothing against FWF they are not the Sportsmens voice they were, not that what they're doing is bad there just not looking out for our total interest and again all of this is my opinion.

The next meeting will be December 15 like always I'll put out an agenda for y'all to look over if you're interested in participating or have any questions give me a call the public is welcome
Last edited by bwright on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Palm Beach open hull, full grass rake, conduit rigging, up stack I0540, swinging A Q series 72', single rudder / old school

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Winston Churchill.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks Bishop :thumbleft: :rebel:

Return to “Airboat Talk”