Need info on gearbox ASAP.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Need info on gearbox ASAP.

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Looking at possibly buying a precision gearbox and need to know what to look for to make sure I don't buy something broke or wore out! What do I check for and how do I check it???

Also, I have some other questions... Are precision boxes interchangeable with any other boxes, as far as bolt patterns and rigging mounts and what not?

This box will be going a 12x7 hull.. A little small I know, but the guy I bought my hull from had a small block and gearbox on this boat before. Any opinions on this setup? I'm limited to a smaller prop and I'm leaning towards a 76". Motor will be fairly stock, nothing special. Any recommendations on a prop?? Thanks in advance guys!
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Need info on gearbox ASAP.

Postby skinny99 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:15 pm

They are decent boxes. A little loud off idle so don't be scared after you first run it. Guy that builds them is out of Oviedo. He can prob check it out. At 76" long max a 3 blade R would prob be fine if it makes over 300hp. I had one with a 2 blade @ 79" and about 290hp. Worked good.
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:29 pm

SthrnStyle3 wrote: . . . Also, I have some other questions... Are precision boxes interchangeable with any other boxes, as far as bolt patterns and rigging mounts and what not? . . .

If I recall correctly the bell housing pattern is Chevy only. They don't have the BOP pattern like the other boxes do.
If you're running and staying with a Chevy, that won't matter. If you're doing something else, this can't be overlooked.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 pm

theyre cheap enough new id probably just buy a new one that way u dont end up with junk
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:45 pm

I've been direct drive for the last 6 years or so and I ended up finding this box for 1000.. I'm so ready for a change! As for staying with the Chevy pattern, that looks highly likely. I don't see myself getting into something high tech and high performance for awhile. I'm going to look at the box tomorrow, what should I look for? Should there be any end play or little to none? Do I need feeler gauges maybe?? I know I'm going to check the magnetic drain plug(if it's magnetic) and look at the oil. Any other recommendations?
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Their contact info is here:

http://www.airboatgeardrives.com/index.html

I would call them in the morning and ask the source, nobody else would know better.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Gangreen
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gangreen » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:10 pm

12 by 7 is a good size.

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Deano wrote:Their contact info is here:

http://www.airboatgeardrives.com/index.html

I would call them in the morning and ask the source, nobody else would know better.

Exactly what i did when i bought a used one. Ask for voughn he loves talking about his product. if i remember correctly there was some beneficial knowledge i gained from him in regards to the output shaft. some are 12 spline which is the bigger stronger one and then there was an 8 spline that was smaller or something like that.
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

Return to “Airboat Talk”