dilemma.. interested in your thoughts

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
breastquest
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

dilemma.. interested in your thoughts

Post by breastquest » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:18 pm

I've been running boats for almost 20 yrs now and all my boats were and are 13 foot or less with aircrafts. I've noticed that my running has changed I'm not beating the ground all hours of the night killing hogs or poaching deer and find myself joy riding and hanging out in the shade or swimming hole. Today im looking at a 15 foot 5 seat car motor boat with everything but a wipe your ass button! My question is are there others that have done this, and how do you like these "big" boats and what should I expect? I know these are pretty dumb questions but before I go and spend 50k on a boat im looking for any input!!! Thanks

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: dilemma.. interested in your thoughts

Post by JB550 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:38 pm

Spend 1 full day running a boat like you are going to invest in. Run it in the erea you will use it most and if you love it at the end of the day then go for it.

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PAINKILLER » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 pm

X2 I drove a boat 2ft longer with a bbf on it it drove a lot different than my 13ft sbc
1st Corinthians 13:4-5 :rebel:

breastquest
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by breastquest » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Great advise but all my buddies have got the same size as mine or go fast boats... guess I need more friends... lol

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Good luck with your decision. If you do get back into poaching deer a 15 foot boat could hold a lot more illegally taken game :violent1:
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 pm

breastquest wrote:I've been running boats for almost 20 yrs now and all my boats were and are 13 foot or less with aircrafts. I've noticed that my running has changed I'm not beating the ground all hours of the night killing hogs or poaching deer and find myself joy riding and hanging out in the shade or swimming hole. Today im looking at a 15 foot 5 seat car motor boat with everything but a wipe your ass button! My question is are there others that have done this, and how do you like these "big" boats and what should I expect? I know these are pretty dumb questions but before I go and spend 50k on a boat im looking for any input!!! Thanks

ALmost my same BIO but I am young 58 so been running carbarges from 2008, they all were 14X8 deckover not sleds big heavy welded hulls, there are times I miss the light small boat but in the end if I could only have one it be my carmotor but think of it like CJ5 compared to a 4 door F150, ride is softer, have to pay attention to the trail but you can run just about anywere a small boat can go. Just sold a fine DB and building another one or I take you for a ride. I have got to drive bunch open 15X8 Diamondbacks with 550hsp and the all ran great avg 65 mph and ran great as well. If you have not made a decision by dec hit me up and I take you on my new Diamondback it will have wipe you a$$ button :D :D
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:32 pm

I drive a five seat boat and the biggest drawback is fear of getting stuck. Not that I get stuck often, it's just the fear. If your 12 foot 180 4 cylinder gets hung up, you just grab the bow with one hand and spin it around. Same as when your trail run dry and you want to turn around. Not so easy for me. Got to run another mile to find a spot wide enough to turn around.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:37 pm

The "Southern Venom" has a WYA button BigUn your new ride will have the his and hers...lol

breastquest
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by breastquest » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Sounds like more pro's than con's so far

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Love my CM barge and love my sled. If I had to give one up, it would be the sled.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

captrndy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by captrndy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Do you need something that can carry more people than your current boat? I was in a similar situation a while back. I sold my ultralight hamant 13'6" boat with a 520 that was single front driver double rear. I thought I was gonna be bringing more friends for rides and stuff. So I had a 14'6" alumitech that was a side by side rear with triple front powered by a LS2. I liked the boat, but we didn't end up taking friends and family that often. I missed the sporty feel of the ultralight. I also prefer the front steer. So now I am in the process of putting together another ultralight aircraft powered front steer boat. I hope that helps shed some light.

Blackcoffee
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Blackcoffee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:40 pm

I downsized from a heavy 15x8 4 seater to a lighter 14x8 2 seat deck over and like it much better. I am saving gas and run shallower. I like the smaller one much better.
GTO 14' Deckover

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by wildcard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm a full fledged outlaw but I wouldn't say I was a poaucher on here to many liberals :violent1: :stirpot: if you poach you must have a boat that runs well so don't spend high dollars on a boat that can be confiscated at a point you get caught for telling what you do on open internet :violent1: :dontknow: :dontknow:

breastquest
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by breastquest » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Wildcard I said "use to" not anymore! Just to much like work and the consequences are to stiff!

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:36 am

:slap: wtf

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Blackcoffee, your old boat was no joke itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:45 pm

I spent half as much on my 15x8 350 SBC Diamondback, and I have twice the fun lol. I can go anywhere I want or need to go as long as I stay out of the mushy soil.

Blackcoffee
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Blackcoffee » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Comanche-pup wrote:Blackcoffee, your old boat was no joke itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you.
GTO 14' Deckover

breastquest
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by breastquest » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Easy plum!!

pgs2845
Southern Airboat Member

Post by pgs2845 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:57 pm

The fun about air boating is going light. Uses less gas, doesn't use as much gas as a car motor boat and doesn't make as big of a wake. Lets not even talk about the noise pollution. I can't tell you of the times that I have been fishing and a 15-16 ft car motor came by me and almost sank me from the wake. You might slow down but you never look behind you to see the damage that you may be causing, or who you just sank !!!!!!!!!!! Especially from the tour boats, with 12 people. So if you feel that you need to take that many people with you to have a good time, rent a Greyhound. That way you will at least have a designated driver. Think about how you are effecting the people you may be riding around, and not yourself !!!

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:05 pm

:sad2:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 pm

pgs2845 wrote:The fun about air boating is going light. Uses less gas, doesn't use as much gas as a car motor boat and doesn't make as big of a wake. Lets not even talk about the noise pollution. I can't tell you of the times that I have been fishing and a 15-16 ft car motor came by me and almost sank me from the wake. You might slow down but you never look behind you to see the damage that you may be causing, or who you just sank !!!!!!!!!!! Especially from the tour boats, with 12 people. So if you feel that you need to take that many people with you to have a good time, rent a Greyhound. That way you will at least have a designated driver. Think about how you are effecting the people you may be riding around, and not yourself !!!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Crown Royal
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Crown Royal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 pm

pgs2845 wrote:The fun about air boating is going light. Uses less gas, doesn't use as much gas as a car motor boat and doesn't make as big of a wake. Lets not even talk about the noise pollution. I can't tell you of the times that I have been fishing and a 15-16 ft car motor came by me and almost sank me from the wake. You might slow down but you never look behind you to see the damage that you may be causing, or who you just sank !!!!!!!!!!! Especially from the tour boats, with 12 people. So if you feel that you need to take that many people with you to have a good time, rent a Greyhound. That way you will at least have a designated driver. Think about how you are effecting the people you may be riding around, and not yourself !!!

Sorry AIRBOAT GOD but you sound like a little BIATCH Crying Need some Cheese to go with your Wine?
:stirpot: :slap:
Don't hate the CM Boats cause we are bigger and faster and can go places you will never see.
and yes I do have the Boat that can drag you around :lol:
http://www.altmansac.com/

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE

Proud member of OUTLAWAIRBOATCLUB.COM

SOUTHERN OUTLAW

breastquest
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by breastquest » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Last edited by breastquest on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:21 pm

breastquest wrote:I've been running boats for almost 20 yrs now and all my boats were and are 13 foot or less with aircrafts. I've noticed that my running has changed I'm not beating the ground all hours of the night killing hogs or poaching deer and find myself joy riding and hanging out in the shade or swimming hole. Today im looking at a 15 foot 5 seat car motor boat with everything but a wipe your ass button! My question is are there others that have done this, and how do you like these "big" boats and what should I expect? I know these are pretty dumb questions but before I go and spend 50k on a boat im looking for any input!!! Thanks
The guy offered his thoughts.
I understand why people would disagree with him but he offered an opinion.

What did you ask for?
Broke.

Return to “Airboat Talk”