Flashlight

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Teal fun
Southern Airboat Member

Flashlight

Post by Teal fun » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:30 am

I'm looking for a flashlight for a Christmas gift. Just a simple on/off. narrow beam spread. Something quality. What are you guy's using?

trailerdon
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Flashlight

Post by trailerdon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:46 am

Sportsmans guide. they have the best $ on LED flash lights. I have been using there 1000 lum for two years now and am very happy

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:02 am

Not sure how big a light your looking for but the best deal going right now is Walmart. I CCW and the rule in my world is if you carry a gun you carry a light! That said the Ozark Trail 150 lumen is a perfect high output pocket light. This little led compact runs around $11 with the Duracell batteries included.

If your looking for something a little larger say equal in size to the old Maglight C-light the Ozark Trail 500 lumen is an excellent choice and in my experience far brighter than any other lights in this rating. They are $35 and also come packed with the Duracell batteries which last a good long time with this led technology. These lights are getting very popular and being bought up by hunters and fisherman. They are as bright as an old Q-Beam on a clear night.

Give them a look for the money you can't beat them for the price......SWAMP out

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:19 am

Check out: www.batteryjunction.com. they have awesome lights and I haven't found better prices. I just bought 10 of the little terralux 80 lm lights for Christmas gifts. Awesome little edc lights.

dynaairglide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dynaairglide » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:43 am

I have 2 Streamlights, both rechargeable. The LED is by far the best flashlight I have ever owned. The Stinger model has a strobe feature also. www.streamlight.com
Be American... Buy American!

Full Rut
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Full Rut » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:50 am

Streamlight
14ft DB 2ft Rake 3/4 Deck Alum. Riggn 502BB 2.37Rota Sens. Fat Daddy

FLA BOY
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FLA BOY » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:12 am

Streamlight rechargeable Stinger. I have had mine 6 years. Same batteries (they give you 2). I take it everywhere I go. It has also doubled as a spotlight to get me out of the marsh and down the Intracoastal.
GSO480/12' Hammant
GPU/12' Richochet

12PSI
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by 12PSI » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:15 am

IMAG0948.jpg
I'm never without it.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 am

been using this fenix for a year and really like it - also have an adapter to mount it to my AR :thumbleft: :rebel:

the strobe feature kicks ass!!

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:49 am

12PSI wrote:
IMAG0948.jpg
I'm never without it.
I'm with u on that 12psi !!!

Swamper470
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamper470 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:54 am

Night stick model 5422
13' 6" Cottonmouth, 0-470-L, Sensenich 72" 3 bld H Series

KRVSA Member
http://www.krvsa.com/

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:57 am

I usually use the light on my iPhone 5S but my wife just bought me this Surefire 6PX Tactical for my birthday and I love it. It's 320 lumens and has either a push and hold button on the rear or a twist tail cap for permanent on. The Surefire G2X is a slightly more economical version of the same light due to the body being plastic.
Attachments
flashlight big.JPG
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:05 pm

What batteries any of these us? The reason I bought the lil stream light I put the pic of is bc it uses 2 AAA batteries. No charging an no expensive hard to find batteries

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Until this thread I have been a fan of the Mini Mag Lite. The one draw back is ya have to twist the front to turn it on and off or focus the light. Not an ideal CCW companion but fine for an EDC application. I have recently got a new LED light off a card at the local Haji Mart that has the switch in the rear of the light and its a simple on off button, but the light has no focus control at all. Do ANY of the led "minis" have the ability to focus the light beam? I ask this because this one, while great for perusing through the house at night so ya don't break a toe on furniture, has a rather "thin" light emitted and I am thinking were it more focusable it might be more useful as a CCW companion.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

BADBOB
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by BADBOB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Streamlight 69240 TLR-4
IF ANIMALS WEREN'T MEANT TO BE EATEN, THEN WHY ARE THEY MADE OUT OF MEAT?

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:39 pm

Bear look on e-bay under led flashlights and you will find 1000s and at great prices. :thumbleft: :rebel:

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SthrnStyle3 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:01 pm

I use the Maglite XL50. Bought it from walmart for about $25-30 and it's lasted awhile and fairly bright/focused beam. The one I have is 104 lumens but I see other of the same model with higher lumens. I wouldn't of guessed it was 104 lumens, because my buddy's +/- 300 lumen light isn't much brighter. It has a lot to do with the beam. It's only about 4.75" and uses 3 AAA. It's push button: first click is full power, second click is like 40% power and the third click is strobe. The ones I see at walmart now have 5 settings.
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Teal fun wrote:I'm looking for a flashlight for a Christmas gift. Just a simple on/off. narrow beam spread. Something quality. What are you guy's using?
You are getting lots of info on flashlights in general. My question is who is the light for, a seven year Cub Scout for camping, a person serving in the military, or someone in between? So many lights now days are specific purpose the options are endless. Will this gift be carried in a pocket, belt holster, vehicle, or weapon mounted? Budget between $4.00- $400+. I like this topic.

Teal fun
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Teal fun » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Lots of great info, thanks. hoping to get one for me and one for my son. I'd use it on the AB for a back up and my son would use it for pig and deer hunts. I use a 3 cell LED mag light now and like it a lot, very durable and inexpensive. looking to spend about 100 bucks on each light. Thanks again

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:09 pm

I have a Streamlight Strion LED rechargeable, extremely happy with it.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

90chevy396
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 90chevy396 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:36 pm

jump on the streamlite web site I have 6 different models that I use for different occasions and even slid home several times with my junior led uses 2 aa batteries and I use it all day at work and is bought rechargables for it and just swap out the 2 when they die. using it a lot during the day and when ever needed after work I get at least 2 weeks on battery charge. if your looking for around the house get the stylus for around $20. my streamlite has never left me stranded and sent in twice for repairs under full warranty (once ran it over with semi, other submerged when diving) the only thing not under warranty is battery and bulb.
13' LASER W/455 BUICK DD SINGLE FRONT DOUBLE REAR WHIRL WIND PROPELLER

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:32 am

Look at the Streamlight Scorpion and Stinger series lights. They are both great quality lights that are below the budget you are interested in. The prices do vary sometimes on tje exact same models on the internet so search the well for the nest deal.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:04 am

if you are looking for a non-name brand great cheap flashlight, go to amazon and get the mini torch led flashlight with the adjustable beam. i bought 6 of them @ 3.50$ each. AND they are a awesome little light.
just go to amazon and search for flashlight.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 pm

jopete wrote:if you are looking for a non-name brand great cheap flashlight, go to amazon and get the mini torch led flashlight with the adjustable beam. i bought 6 of them @ 3.50$ each. AND they are a awesome little light.
just go to amazon and search for flashlight.
Hahahaha thats jammin man. I went there and ordered a dozen of em for stocking stuffers. Will see how the quality is. I like the 300 lumens and that its CREE. "Has focus and back end on/off button. Wonder why the other colors are several dollars more? Cant be cost to them cause if they coat black its the same process as if they anodize it any other color. Strange. Thanks jopete !
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:25 pm

i put one in my blind bag, my toolbox, wifes purse, deer hunting bag, and gave two away as stocking stuffers.
i like the fact that they take 0ne AA battery and not some hard to find battery.
it can't compare to a light like a streamlight, but it is great for a knock around flashlight that you won't be upset if you lose it.

i saw the colored ones are a couple dollars more. guess it costs more to make.

Return to “Airboat Talk”