Kennedy airboats

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
spivey2a
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Kennedy airboats

Post by spivey2a »

Kevlar layup and vacuumed down, might get scary
Aaron Spivey
Double A Fiberglass LLC
Kennedy Airboat
352-578-4021

PUDDLEBUSTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PUDDLEBUSTER »

Yep if it was built like how the Phillips steps are now yep very scary

CRACKERSTYLE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CRACKERSTYLE »

Whats the deal with all the fires-some aluminum hull builder burning his shop down or what....lol

I'd like a 15ft with stiff bottom/transom (20") but laid up on the conservative side-light sides. White with a metallic blue stripe on the outside and light gray on the inside.

Any idea the weight and cost $$
John 3:16

spivey2a
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by spivey2a »

That boat would be basically the boat I posted in the classifieds section, it would be approx. 650lbs and $3600.
Aaron Spivey
Double A Fiberglass LLC
Kennedy Airboat
352-578-4021

pax1ton
Southern Airboat Member

Post by pax1ton »

GMAC 76 wrote:what is the difference between a freedom craft hull and a kennedy hull?.....I was told the kennedy molds went to Nebraska and I see in the last airboat magazine that a builder up there is featuring kennedy hulls are these the same hulls that you are building?
The molds that are in Nebraska were the molds Chad Howard bought from Roy after his fire, then chad sold out to Elkhorn Valley airboats(Darrell Starks)He is using the original kennedy hull name on the boats being built.
he has the super wide & step hull mold as well

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

PUDDLEBUSTER wrote:There is know real difference in the two. The original Kennedy and bandit molds burnt up in Roy's first fire. There was a second set built off of an original Kennedy and Roy also built a wide version that burnt in his second fire. Then there is a couple copies built after that fire,one, Roy ended up with and some he built off of hulls he had. Somewhere in there he stopped calling them freedomcrafts and went back to calling them Kennedy's. All in all the kennedy/freedomcraft design hasn't changed much. So the set we are talking about mow are a third generation of the original Kennedy.
Since you seem to be so familiar with the lineage of the Kennedy hulls, can you tell me what, if any, difference there is between what you just referenced as the 'original Kennedy' and their predecessor, the 'Panacraft' hulls. Based on passive observation after having rebuilt a couple of each, and what I've been told by persons whom I believe, the only difference that I've ever ascertained is that the deck lids were different; at least in some cases. As such (if that is basically correct), it would appear to me that what has been referenced as an 'original Kennedy' was more realistically a Panacraft, and came from the same original mold after it was moved from 470 where they were originally produced.

I don't suppose it really matters, but I've always been curious and have abandoned this conversation more than once over the years when it became obvious that other person I talking with was 'ill-informed'. Sounds as if you have some first hand knowledge that could independently confirm what I've been told and already perceive to be correct.

On a different note . . . spivey2a, what would you guesstimate the weight to be on the current 12' that you propose ?
After as many of the old ones as I have had and/or redone, it would be somewhat of a novelty to actually have a new one.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

spivey2a
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by spivey2a »

Glad to get the info on the Kennedy name still being used, I will be coming up with a new name. Keep getting conflicting stories on name use, locations of molds and who owns what. Sounds like time for a new start.

On the weight of a 12' with a 3' deck should be 480 approx depends how long of a deck you would like and if you would want any walkboards.
Aaron Spivey
Double A Fiberglass LLC
Kennedy Airboat
352-578-4021

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

From experience of owning one (still do) it is one of the nicest steering and driving boats I have driven.
Mine came from Elkhorn Valley Airboats. 13.5 ' long O-540 .
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Just sold a 16 ft Kennedy with rod boxes. Very heavy but also very safe in rougher waters even with a load.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

I have a 13'7" Kennedy, very sturdy, but a lil heavy, 520 conversion, my hull is very much like the one you pictured above but I cant see the nose, my nose is quite different than the now freedom craft that I am familiar with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PUDDLEBUSTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PUDDLEBUSTER »

Mr Kennedy built the panacraft that was the name of his business when I was a kid. Roy bought his molds made a few miner changes to them to make them a little easier to build. Roy built out of them till his first fire. He built them using Kennedy by freedomcraft name. Freedomcraft being the name of Roy's business. We all just started calling them freedomcrafts.Kennedy is more of a design name and Roy's way to pay respect to Mr Kennedy.

PUDDLEBUSTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PUDDLEBUSTER »

Mr Kennedy built the panacraft that was the name of his business when I was a kid. Roy bought his molds made a few miner changes to them to make them a little easier to build. Roy built out of them till his first fire. He built them using Kennedy by freedomcraft name. Freedomcraft being the name of Roy's business. We all just started calling them freedomcrafts.Kennedy is more of a design name and Roy's way to pay respect to Mr Kennedy.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

:) wrote:Just sold a 16 ft Kennedy with rod boxes. Very heavy but also very safe in rougher waters even with a load.
Great point ..... a little weight can be a real asset in choppy water. I used to run a 14' Gilleo on the way North end of the St. Johns river, and anybody who's ever run one will tell you that they're not a rough water boat .... way too light and flexible for that.

There again, it all comes back to setup. What do you want your boat to do? The combinations are almost endless and you have to
build your boat so that it'll do what you want it to 90% of the time. If you have a light boat with low sides? Cool. You're wanting
to spend most of your time in shallows and marshes, but if the wind is up and you're lookin' at a 1' chop in the bay or on a river?
Then the best plan would probably be to leave it on the trailer.

As I said before, that Kennedy/Freedom Craft hull is a sweet riding boat ..... it'll take you out and bring you back home. If it's a little
heavy, it makes up for that 90% of the time unless you're one of those whacko's that needs to run dry for miles at a time.
In that case, take the ATV and leave the boat on the trailer. JMO
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

spivey2a
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by spivey2a »

I am still not sure as to what name I will be building the boats under but I spoke with Roy Skinner as to the name use, He assured me that he owns the Kennedy name and Freedom Craft name in regards to a boat being built and anyone that would like any questions answered in regards to such should PM me and I will give you his personal #
Aaron Spivey
Double A Fiberglass LLC
Kennedy Airboat
352-578-4021

spivey2a
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by spivey2a »

I am still not sure as to what name I will be building the boats under but I spoke with Roy Skinner as to the name use, He assured me that he owns the Kennedy name and Freedom Craft name in regards to a boat being built and anyone that would like any questions answered in regards to such should PM me and I will give you his personal #
Aaron Spivey
Double A Fiberglass LLC
Kennedy Airboat
352-578-4021

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by dodobird »

I have a 1984 15ft kennedy craft trihull river boat did this boat get built by this mr kennedy?
Last edited by dodobird on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

The old ones were quality builds that were safe coastal hulls.

Good luck with your new business and build them to last!

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

I have run North ends several times. I live just out side jax and put in out off heckshear drive a few times. It can get ugly quick. Also helped install some signs on the sea wall at NAS Jax once. That was fun. Lol but the boat never made me nervous, except when I wanted to run dry for extended time or that wet sand out there. For anyone who hasn't rode out there, it's great riding between the jax zoo and amelia island
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

spivey2a
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by spivey2a »

Comanche pup that boat looks just like what we are building it looks like a older one when the side stiffners used was a 1x2 also most have a rubrail
Aaron Spivey
Double A Fiberglass LLC
Kennedy Airboat
352-578-4021

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

I havent got the rubrail replaced yet but it is getting one and if you mean the 1x2 is under the gunnel than yes mine has those

PUDDLEBUSTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PUDDLEBUSTER »

Comanche-pup wrote:I havent got the rubrail replaced yet but it is getting one and if you mean the 1x2 is under the gunnel than yes mine has those

Pm sent

PUDDLEBUSTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PUDDLEBUSTER »

Comanche-pup wrote:I havent got the rubrail replaced yet but it is getting one and if you mean the 1x2 is under the gunnel than yes mine has those

Pm sent

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

The step hull mold runs good. It is stable and runs straight. It is not the fastest hull out there but always felt safe. I owned one years back, it was a Kevlar boat that was vacuum bagged. I think muffled500hp had the same hull on his race boat originally.

Return to “Airboat Talk”