How many times should you take a mag of in one day

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

How many times should you take a mag of in one day

Post by newoldglory »

I have 2 impulse mags that have been "gone through" and neither one of them will make my boat run. I spent 6 hours the other day "jerking off mags" and going through them and still don't have one that works on my boat. The first thing that comes to every ones mind is that I don't know what I am doing. :roll: Trust me, I am well qualified but lack the equipment and tools that I need out here. After 4 times pulling the mags and "going through" them and swapping parts, I remembered that I have a jig to mount and test them out here and found it on the back shelf. :violent1: I had a mag to fire on all 4 spark plugs but was not happy with the fire. It seemed weak and a bluish color, but fired. Once installed, it would not fire the engine. I cranked the engine and run on the straight mag and checked for spark on the impulse without the wire block on and had no spark at all. This thing should have been like a Christmas tree. It seems that I have 2 bad coils. I've been told that the orange coil is not dependable. Has any one had this experience? I guess that time will tell. :dontknow: Maybe I should put the paddle on the boat. :banghead:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: How many times should you take a mag of in one day

Post by twister69z »

Make you a offer you send me both magnetos you want done right , I will make them right for the cost of new parts I install, and the shipping . If you tell me the engine you are installing them in I will give you exact instructions to install and time them. Love reading your posts and would love to help you out, 30 years and still working at a CRS Overhauling both Bendix , Slick magnetos.
The mags will be fly able when I'm done with them.
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

getitdone
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by getitdone »

that's a heck of a deal there...
"Poachers Dream"
13'x7'6" Hamant Ultralight With 0540 And 72"Q

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Post by gyrocopter582 »

That's a nice offer Twister, and I agree with you, I enjoy Gerald's stories too.
What repair station do you work for? I might need advice one day too.
I'm at X59, Valkaria Florida. Thanks, Mike.
"Amaze your friends, annoy your neighbors"

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow »

Gerald you should jump on that offer.JMO :thumbleft: :rebel:

clark-kentski
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by clark-kentski »

Gerald just a thought,when you were switching parts you didn't loose or jam that carbon contact brush ? piece that is spring loaded and rides on the coil contact, that happens...ask me how I know :oops:

When there is no man fit to follow, a man must carve his own path.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

clark-kentski wrote:Gerald just a thought,when you were switching parts you didn't loose or jam that carbon contact brush ? piece that is spring loaded and rides on the coil contact, that happens...ask me how I know :oops:
No sir; I knew that I had to be very alert since I am over 30 years of age and do distinctly remember those parts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

twister69z wrote:Make you a offer you send me both magnetos you want done right , I will make them right for the cost of new parts I install, and the shipping . If you tell me the engine you are installing them in I will give you exact instructions to install and time them. Love reading your posts and would love to help you out, 30 years and still working at a CRS Overhauling both Bendix , Slick magnetos.
The mags will be fly able when I'm done with them.
Twister69z
"twister69z", Yes, that is an awesome offer and MAY take you up on that but it will take me time to work around it. I believe that I have a block plate at the house in town and will look for it on Mon. when I go in to drop off an order of frogs. I will need to do one mag at a time. Folks like you ARE appreciated.

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

Jus PM me when you are ready to make it happen, I will be gone for a week in March shooting swine in Texas!
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Hell of an offer Twister !!!!! That's what makes this site so addicting.. Seeing folks do really nice things for others these days..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

CAPTAIN-D
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CAPTAIN-D »

I have sent my mags to Twister and when you get them back they are done right, and he can answer any questions you may have. Great guy to do business with.

Return to “Airboat Talk”