Bit the Bullet and got my first Boat.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Bit the Bullet and got my first Boat.

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:11 am

well I had a very Limited Budget, and was looking for a car motor boat so i could work on it my self with local parts that don't break the bank.

I had a few things I was looking for. car motor, deck that my lady can fish from, keep women happy, and she keeps her man happy. and something as wide and stable as I could find. and carbon fiber prop.

here is what I ended up with. now I just have to get it in my name and learn how to run it and NOT kill my self doing it.
it's a 11' x 7 cut down lazer Hull decked over. sb 350 chevy, 488 cam, 4 bbl holley, 5 blade warp drive prop. also came with trailer, 5 extra blades, and 2 extra seats. 1 is a 2 place seat. once I get it in my name and learn more about it I will be ready to find out where is some skinny water to put it in at near Deland and Deleon Springs area.
any pointers and Tips for a newbie will be gladly excepted.
if i can resize my pics I will post more pics of it.

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Bit the Bullet and got my first Boat.

Postby PAINKILLER » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:26 am

Looks good sounds good good luck :thumbleft:
Psalms 101:7 No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:34 am

Biggest tip I can give you if you are a newbie is "Don't Go Out Alone" (don't ask me how I know this!). ask on this site who's riding in your area, or join a club in your area and you should be able to make new friends to ride with. Stick time is what it takes to become familiar with your particular boat.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:34 am

SWAMP PARROT,
look's good sounds good!
best place to get stick time and have plenty of room would be lake george.
first thing I would suggest is get rid of those muffler's look's like a catastrophe waiting to happen..
go to jegs get some round muffler's will look good..
have a blast and stay safe------------
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am

PAINKILLER wrote:Looks good sounds good good luck :thumbleft:
thanks I will need it, after hearing it run this morning and seeing how little throttle it takes to go from idle to 2000 r.p.m. I can say I am just a bit intimadated by it. I am going to take my time and be real careful with it.
the guy said with just him on it, it will do 60. I don't plan to test that out any time soon.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:42 am

flcracker9 wrote:Biggest tip I can give you if you are a newbie is "Don't Go Out Alone" (don't ask me how I know this!). ask on this site who's riding in your area, or join a club in your area and you should be able to make new friends to ride with. Stick time is what it takes to become familiar with your particular boat.
thanks for the advise, yes I hope to meet some locals, it turns out the guy that grew up in the house we bought, he recently had an air boat, so I am going to see if he can help me some and I hope to meet others to ride with.

I saw a really cool boat Sunday that was sitting in front of local bar near me, it had a Big Subaru with a home made multi V belt drive. sadly I did not have my camera with me.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:43 am

Congratulations - looks like a fine boat.

Definitely let the engine warm up before you give it any gas pedal to increase longevity.

I had the same exhaust setup on my 355 SBC but with pipes bringing the exhaust over the back of the cage. everybody said it would fail, fall off, everything. It didn't. It was quiet and allowed great access to the majority of the engine and I could work on the carb just fine when cooled off.

Don't go straight to the title shop - go out riding! You have 30 days from sale to get it registered.
Last edited by scottyroll on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:44 am

scrambletown wrote:SWAMP PARROT,
look's good sounds good!
first thing I would suggest is get rid of those muffler's look's like a catastrophe waiting to happen..
Oh what do you think could happen to those? the guy just put them on a few days ago, it had stright pipes on it.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:49 am

scottyroll wrote:Congratulations - looks like a fine boat.

Definitely let the engine warm up before you give it any gas pedal to increase longevity.

I had the same exhaust setup on my 355 SBC but with pipes bringing the exhaust over the back of the cage.

Don't go straight to the title shop - go out riding! You have 30 days from sale to get it registered.
I like the idea of the pipes over the cage, may have to do that.

would I have to worry about any kind of inforcment officers giving me any kind of tickets, if it's not registered right away?
we just moved to Fl. and I don't even have a FL drivers lic. yet.

thanks for the advice, like I said this is my first boat of any kind. so eger to learn.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:55 am

Keep a close watch on your temperature gauge. My guess is you will need to move the radiator closer to the prop. Don't bother trying to put an electric fan on it either, just a waste of time and money. Been tried too many times!

Nice looking boat, should make you a good first ride.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:58 am

Do ya'll think this set up would run 3 people ok? I am 185 and my lady is 230. I don't care about being a speed demon, just don't want to get stuck giving a ride later once I learn to handle it.

got a pilot friend coming in town in April that has never been on an Air boat so would love to take him and my lady for a ride.

any tips on how to aviod sinking it?
The hull is 15" at the back. is that a good size? my biggest fear is to sink it. did not know these boats can sink so easyily until I started read this forum.
I am so glad I have found this forum. I am doing as much reading as I can.
the boat does have to Bildge pumps and a hydrulic trim tab, but the trim tab is not wired up yet.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Swamp Parrot wrote:
scrambletown wrote:SWAMP PARROT,
look's good sounds good!
Oh what do you think could happen to those? the guy just put them on a few days ago, it had stright pipes on it.

p.m. sent.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:03 pm

skinnypockets wrote:Keep a close watch on your temperature gauge. My guess is you will need to move the radiator closer to the prop. Don't bother trying to put an electric fan on it either, just a waste of time and money. Been tried too many times!

Thanks the Guy said it never gets over 160, but I am going to keep a close eye on it. I was wondering about how far the rad. was from the fan my self.

I feel I got a great deal on it, the engine is not even broken in all the way yet. and got it with trailer for under $4,500. with spare blades, 2 extra seats and ancor it has 3/8 poly on it in good condition.
I am thinking it's going to need a bigger fuel tank later.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Just make sure when you are not using it that you cover the mufflers from filling up with rain. Do yourself a HUGE favor get someone to go with you that has experience so you can get into this hobby for the long run without discouragement.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:54 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:Just make sure when you are not using it that you cover the mufflers from filling up with rain. Do yourself a HUGE favor get someone to go with you that has experience so you can get into this hobby for the long run without discouragement.
yes I have some covers that fit the pipes, paint can caps fit snoggly over them. I am thinking soon I might get some flew pipe and Run them back over the top of the cage.

luckily I have had a few people on here offer to help me learn the boat, so I will probably be callin some of them real soon.

I was thinking it may not be bad for me to try and play with it some on the grass in the yard to get a feel of the throttle and rudders.

what do you all think? would that be good practice first?

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby In the Glades » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:20 pm

Swamp Parrot wrote:
skinnypockets wrote:Keep a close watch on your temperature gauge. My guess is you will need to move the radiator closer to the prop. Don't bother trying to put an electric fan on it either, just a waste of time and money. Been tried too many times!

Thanks the Guy said it never gets over 160, but I am going to keep a close eye on it. I was wondering about how far the rad. was from the fan my self.

I feel I got a great deal on it, the engine is not even broken in all the way yet. and got it with trailer for under $4,500. with spare blades, 2 extra seats and ancor it has 3/8 poly on it in good condition.

You will quickly learn what sellers tell you the boat does and what the boat actually does are two very different things in airboats a lot of the time.

Best advice is to join a local club or association if there is one near you... its a great way to meet people to ride with and when they day comes where you get stuck or broken down, you have people to call.

Always remember that prop on the back of your boat throws a lot of stuff around (including other people's boats sometimes) so be careful when pulling away from camps and landings. Beware of your wake in deep water.
BCAHCC Member

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:01 pm

In the Glades wrote:
Swamp Parrot wrote:

You will quickly learn what sellers tell you the boat does and what the boat actually does are two very different things in airboats a lot of the time.

Best advice is to join a local club or association if there is one near you... its a great way to meet people to ride with and when they day comes where you get stuck or broken down, you have people to call.

Always remember that prop on the back of your boat throws a lot of stuff around (including other people's boats sometimes) so be careful when pulling away from camps and landings. Beware of your wake in deep water.
yeah I figured that, being a direct drive,I will just be happy if it can get me and maybe 2 otehrs across the water or swamp. and not get stuck. i am going to search out a local club if there is one. once i know for sure these things are for me. who knows I very well might scare the crap out of my self and say ok I will stick with flying.

Oh I saw a video on FB where some guy started a big boat and there was a little boat behind it and it flipped the little boat up and over backwards. I would have not been to happy if I had been the owner of that smaller boat. needless to say i am going to watch where i park mine also after seeing that.

justin m
Southern Airboat Member

Postby justin m » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Nice looking boat, It's alot nicer than quite a few peoples first boat lol You seem very excited to go run it. Personal experience is a good thing when it comes to pretty much anything. People can tell you one million things to do and don't do but when something happens, you're not going to think anything about it. Take the boat out by yourself. Find shallow water, not too skinny and not too deep. Get a good feel of the boat and learn its limits and your own. When you feel comfortable enough then put another person in it. The only way you will really learn is to go out and run it. Airboats are dangerous, but they are also alot of fun if you have common sence. Goodluck to ya, and ride safe :salute:
A/V 540 on a 13ft Navigator hull, swingin a 72" 2 blade WW signature series. Go boat, not a show boat.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Swamp Parrot,
Congrats on the new boat. You mentioned running 3 adults on your boat. Get some stick time in shallow water under your belt before you put 3 full grown adults on board. That's approx. 600lbs of passenger weight. Not saying your boat wont carry 3 people. You just have to be real careful where you put the weight. I also have an 11x7 Hull. Mine is not cut down. I only see 1 seat on your boat. You will be surprised how much the weight of a 3rd passenger will change the way your boat rides. An 11x7 is a small airboat and weight will effect it dramatically. If not balanced properly you can quickly have water coming over the bow or stern when you come off plane depending on how you load it. Not trying to scare you, or say your boat wont handle it. Just saying be careful the first few times out. Learn how the boat rides and where the best place to put the weight is. Have Fun and Good Luck.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:33 pm

justin m wrote:Nice looking boat, It's alot nicer than quite a few peoples first boat lol You seem very excited to go run it. Personal experience is a good thing when it comes to pretty much anything. People can tell you one million things to do and don't do but when something happens, you're not going to think anything about it. Take the boat out by yourself. Find shallow water, not too skinny and not too deep. Get a good feel of the boat and learn its limits and your own. When you feel comfortable enough then put another person in it. The only way you will really learn is to go out and run it. Airboats are dangerous, but they are also alot of fun if you have common sence. Goodluck to ya, and ride safe :salute:
yeah I plan to take my time and learn how to do it right. I think it is going to be a lot of fun. I have enjoyed the tour boat rides on the st johns on the pontoon boats seeing the wild life, it's going to be really fun to be able to go places and see the wild life on my own away from the tourists, the one ride I have had on an Airboat I can see was pretty tame compared to the videos I have seen. I don't even think the guy ever got it up on plane. or if he did he was not ging very fast. after watching Video on youtube I am amazed just what an air boat can do.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:39 pm

John C wrote:Swamp Parrot,
Congrats on the new boat. You mentioned running 3 adults on your boat. Get some stick time in shallow water under your belt before you put 3 full grown adults on board. That's approx. 600lbs of passenger weight. Not saying your boat wont carry 3 people. You just have to be real careful where you put the weight. I also have an 11x7 Hull. Mine is not cut down. I only see 1 seat on your boat. You will be surprised how much the weight of a 3rd passenger will change the way your boat rides. An 11x7 is a small airboat and weight will effect it dramatically. If not balanced properly you can quickly have water coming over the bow or stern when you come off plane depending on how you load it. Not trying to scare you, or say your boat wont handle it. Just saying be careful the first few times out. Learn how the boat rides and where the best place to put the weight is. Have Fun and Good Luck.
thanks for the advice, I don't plan to put any one on it until I learn it more, unless maybe someone with air boat experance wants to ride along with me to give me pointer or show me how it is done.
I have a single seat and a double seat that I can install. I am thinking install the single seat first and maybe put a bag of sand in it to see what it does. I plan to take it real slow. honestly this beast does intimadate me a bit. I have to get a live jacket as I don't even know how to swim.

how deep of water should I start with?

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Junker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:52 pm

:shock: :shock: I would think swimming lessons would be top of the list :shock: :shock:

"how deep of water should I start with?"...........The shallow end of the pool!

Congrats for your purchase
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:21 pm

Junker wrote::shock: :shock: I would think swimming lessons would be top of the list :shock: :shock:

"how deep of water should I start with?"...........The shallow end of the pool!

Congrats for your purchase
yeah I need to find that shallow end... :) ideally would be to find some local skinny water under a foot or so deep would make me very happy. at least I think that would be good to start in.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:08 pm

bro get some boat insurance as well :thumbleft: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64941

congrats on your first boat!! be safe and take things slow!!

always checklist your boat before every trip!!

:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:22 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:bro get some boat insurance as well :thumbleft: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64941

congrats on your first boat!! be safe and take things slow!!

always checklist your boat before every trip!!

:rebel:
I will look into that.
thanks

Return to “Airboat Talk”