Bit the Bullet and got my first Boat.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Bit the Bullet and got my first Boat.

Postby dodobird » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:07 pm

u just faking this not knowin how to drive to get rid of ur lady? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :florida:
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:25 pm

dodobird wrote:u just faking this not knowin how to drive to get rid of ur lady? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :florida:
No got to keep my lady, heck I better learn to run the boat or she is already threating to start running the boat with out me... lol

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Pics of my Boat

Postby Swamp Parrot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:41 pm

Ok ya'll here are some pics of my boat, I had to resize the pics so they would upload on here.

tell me what ya think. let me know if you see anything of concern that I should change or keep an eye one that has not been discussed here already.
Attachments
IMG_0203.jpeg
IMG_0187.jpeg
IMG_0186.jpeg

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:43 pm

some more pics.
Attachments
IMG_0192.jpeg
IMG_0200.jpeg
IMG_0190.jpeg

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:21 pm

All I can see you need is a trailer tag. :thumbleft: :rebel:

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:50 pm

May not be an immediate concern but the fuel tank is far forward and you will be securing a seat for your lady that you estimate 230lbs. Altogether that may cause the boat to ride hard on the nose. That will handle much different than riding alone.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Scarecrow wrote:All I can see you need is a trailer tag. :thumbleft: :rebel:
yeah got to get that taken care of.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:58 pm

AirRanger wrote:May not be an immediate concern but the fuel tank is far forward and you will be securing a seat for your lady that you estimate 230lbs. Altogether that may cause the boat to ride hard on the nose. That will handle much different than riding alone.
yeah, I have been wondering if that tank is even going to be big enough. not sure how much it holds yet, and there is not gas gauge, not even a sight gauge. so I am going to have to change that I am sure.

Thanks for the input, that is the kind of info I need. I think for the money I got a pretty good boat to start with,but will need to tweek it out a bit. the battery is mounted under the deck about mid way of the seat frame.

when ever it stops raining and is a sunny day again I will take the center cover off and get a few pics.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:09 pm

I did some more tests with the boat on the trailer today, let it run awhile and got it warmed up. by the end of the day I had run it holding the power steady at 2000 r.p.m. and it never got about 160 degrees, so i think my cooling should be fine.

now that said, I did have to tighten the right side valve cover as it was leaking a little bit and I had to put a bolt into the over flow at the engine.

yesterday I spent the whole day rewiring it added a key switch as it had just a toggle switch and a push botton when I got it., got the Bilge pump working. filled the hull with water about 4" deep and checked for leaks. turned on the Bilge pump and it took 9 minutes to completely drian the water with the pump. seaflo 750 g.p.h. pump.

oil pressure looks good, oil level a bit low, will add some tomorrow.

still tweeking it out and looking forward to testing it in the water saturday at loughman lake.

And yes I did buy a good life vest since I can't swim..lol
I am hoping with some tweeking I can get it to run dry, it sure did not do it the other day in the yard.
anyway I don't think I got hurt for what I got in it.
now it will be a matter of seeing if I can handle it, or scare the crap out of my self with it. in which case maybe a Pontoon boat would be a better choice for me. guess we will find out this week end if all goes well.

with any luck maybe I did not buy a sink-o-matic.

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lilly-Pad » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:37 am

Hey Parrot looks like you have taken proper precautions my guess would be that you will be hooked just like us all. from one rookie to another good luck ........................ :proud: :usa:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:08 am

lilly-Pad wrote:Hey Parrot looks like you have taken proper precautions my guess would be that you will be hooked just like us all. from one rookie to another good luck ........................ :proud: :usa:
yes carmotorbarge on the forum has been in contact with me on the phone and been giving me good advise, I want to get this boat as ready and safe as I can.

I would rather find the issues with it running on the trailer in the back yard, then to find them the hard way stuck in a swamp somewhere.

I would be happier if this Boat would run dry, the guy I got it from said it would, but it did not budge in my yard.
once I know it will do ok in the water, I will probably do some more stuff to it. like install a bigger fuel tank. right now I only have 12 gallons.

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:32 am

Well did you take it out for the first time yet? How did it go?
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:45 am

SthrnStyle3 wrote:Well did you take it out for the first time yet? How did it go?
Took it out saturday, car motor barge and his friend gave me the baptism by fire ya might say. he took it for a test run, then he sent me off in it, my first turn around I run into my own wake and well if it had not had been a full deck over I would have been on the bottom. I did a bit more practice and then one of JR's Friends said follow me,and had me follow him around the lake, my lady Cindi was riding with JR. and she had a blast. I got lots of Video that I posted on you tube.
the boat needs some tweeking out, not enough pitch, timing may be off as it is sluggish on the throttle,and the trim tab is not working, thought I was riding a bucking bronco, one of the guys said I almost got thrown out. I was so nervous I didn't even pull the tags off my life vest..lol it was cold and cloudy, and i thought it was raining, turns out I was just to close behind. :(

it needs a bigger fuel tank, turns out that tank only holds about 6 gallons, we took a 5 gal can with us and had strapped down to the car motor barge.

we went to the bird tower then ended up at a cook out our in the swamp by one of the clubs, then to another little camp near by forgot the name bear something then last stop was BS hill. when we got back Jr got a running start with my boat and drove it up the hill and to the trailer. my boat at the Moment does not like to run dry. learned what shaking the rake is.

you know your boat is boucning to much when it breaks a light off.

the only thing that sucked is somehow the hair pin clip that holds the trailer hitch pin in, worked it's way out and a mile from the house the boat came lose and since it not balanced right on the trailer, the tounge went up, only held by the safety chain, and slammed into the back of my Girl friend new to her Nissen pathfinder. so I may end up having sell the boat to repair her car.

Hope not, but if ya see the boat come up for sale that would be why. not to mention just got hit with another un expected bill.
with a little work it can be a really nice boat, I learned a lot. the people we met where great. everyone was Friendly and offering advise. here is Video of the first time out.

getitdone
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby getitdone » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Don't know your exact fuel tank measurement but you can figure it out by multiplying height times width times length and divide by 231 to get approx. gallons. example 8x8x22=1408 divided by 231=6.09 gallons.
"Poachers Dream"
13'x7'6" Hamant Ultralight With 0540 And 72"Q

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:48 pm

getitdone wrote:Don't know your exact fuel tank measurement but you can figure it out by multiplying height times width times length and divide by 231 to get approx. gallons. example 8x8x22=1408 divided by 231=6.09 gallons.

that's a pretty handy rule of thumb but judging by some pictures above it looks like it is a cylinder shape and mounted closer to the bow.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:54 pm

well lets just say to top it off and it was almost empty and a 5 gallon can only took $12.00 worth of regular.

we started looking online today for about a 20 to 25 gallon tank. need a tank under 10" tall and less then 30" long to go in with out having to remove the seat rigging. going to relocate the battery and get a better ground wire to the engine.

baby steps. it will be a nice boat when I get done.
Last edited by Swamp Parrot on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:35 pm

done well mate! I reckon the guy that sold you the boat took off a different prop and put that one on to sell it.... you need to find out what prop was on it when it could run the hill like he said it could... and get one of those props ... then it will be perfect I reckon

Awesome.... yeah I reckon he is a sandbagger.... he drives it like a pro :toothy7:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:23 pm

what I can say after a day out on the Air boat, is I have a new found respect for the seasoned air boaters. there are a lot of hidden dangers out there, I mean fence posts with barbed wire in the middle of a swamp. thats just crazy.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:12 pm

going to be getting a 20 gallon tank soon, and remove the round tank. get the front seat mounted and see if i can get that trim tab working. play around with the timing some. and the prop pitch.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Parrot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:33 am

Still working on my boat, went to Deleon Springs state park today, it is 3 miles from my house, and the ranger there said that yes we can put in there and just around the bend from the spring is some skinny water. so needless to say I am going to look into this some more.

I have been doing a lot of things to make the boat safer and better. rewired it, relocated the battery and hyd. pump for the trim tab. going to be installing a 20 gal race car fuel cell and installing some halogen 55 watt lights on the front to replace the old lights that are on it now. well I should say 1 is still on it....lol one broke off on the test run. boat was bouncing pretty badly.

also got the front seat installed.

will keep ya'll posted.

Return to “Airboat Talk”