What's the most you'd spend on a boat?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
atvracer16
Southern Airboat Member

What's the most you'd spend on a boat?

Postby atvracer16 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:45 pm

I've been back and forth with one of the big boat builders and got a quote on a boat exactly how I want. It's in my limit and a hell of a deal but it's at the very highest point of my limit. I just want to hear what everyone else would pay for a new airboat of they were to build/buy one. Thanks.
13' Aluminum w/ SBC 350 (440hp), 2.38 Stinger Soft Drive, & 2 Blade 76" R Series

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Re: What's the most you'd spend on a boat?

Postby terrible ted » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:50 pm

You never stop building a boat. As long as you have it you keep changing and improving.

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby In the Glades » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:01 pm

All depends on what you want and what you can afford.

Theres people on here who couldnt fathom spending more than 10 grand on a boat they use to go out and catch frogs and theres people on here with $70,000+ into their boats.
BCAHCC Member

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Junker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:11 pm

You just have to dig deep within your self and weigh your "needs against the wants".

If you are in a position that the "needs" are met with no trouble, then go all out on the "wants".

Keeping up with the "Jones's" has been the down fall of many people whom otherwise would have been solvent.

Me ..... personally in my current place in life, $30k would be my limit.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:25 pm

You only live once! Go for it.
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:26 pm

Buy it pre- owned a year or so old. Depreciationis like a new car.

atvracer16
Southern Airboat Member

Postby atvracer16 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:39 pm

I agree Junker and I'm in the same range. And I wanted to BANANA BOAT but there's not one used one I like and this will be my third boat and want to keep this one for a good while.
13' Aluminum w/ SBC 350 (440hp), 2.38 Stinger Soft Drive, & 2 Blade 76" R Series

BGREEN427
Southern Airboat Member

Postby BGREEN427 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:55 pm

If it is in your limits buy it. If you settle for something now and decide you don't like it, you will have regrets. Ask me I know. I built my first boat last year and learned alot about my wants. Wish I would of gone right to diamondback and laid the money down.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Buying new from a reputable manufacturer is key, should you take that route. If you buy used, better be sure you know what you're looking at. I paid good money for a used boat that by all appearances was pristine. Cosmetically, it was. Less than a month after I bought it, gearbox took a crap. That was $1,500.00. Few months after that, several feet of poly split open; the poly was all but worn completely through. Along with a trim tab and some other items, that was $4,200.00. Didn't like the prop so I bought a new one. That was $4,300.00 (BTW, love the new prop). A year and two months, about 120 hours later, blow up motor. That was nearly $18,000.00. I could have had a new boat that met all of my needs and saved $20,000.00 for what I have into this boat, a boat I'm still not entirely satisfied with. Or, for the money I have into this boat, I could have had a new boat that had everything I want and then some. Moral is, be sure you take your time and really know what you want out of a boat before you whip out the wallet. Make a list of what you want the boat to do, what your primary purpose will be and a budget then stick to it. Finally, be realistic. Nothing sucks the fun out of owning a cool toy than good old fashioned buyer's remorse. Being able to pay cash will help with that but, barring your ability to do so, do you really want to be saddled with a huge boat payment?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Postby getchasumairboats » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Check your message
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby PAINKILLER » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:52 pm

I spend what ever the hull cost what ever the motor cost me to build plus gear box prop right now that would be about 15k -18 K I already have the motor
Psalms 101:7 No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Shippee123 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm

I built my first boat a little over a year ago. a ton of late nights and a ex wife later I have just ordered a new Alumitech hull and plan on starting the process again, minus the wife. I consider the time building everything as priceless, I wouldn't want to buy a complete boat ready to drive. The first time you mash the gas and think(what did i forget ) makes it more exciting! I will have a lot more $ in the new boat but I enjoy the work it takes to put it together.

Guaranteed you wont pay any more than you can borrow! lol
But then again I only have $1500 in my boat now!
Last edited by Shippee123 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Birddog247 wrote:You only live once! Go for it.

x2 :rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:03 pm

I bought a new boat from a dealer, after my screw job, the happiest day was when I sold that piece of crap.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now I have built 2 boats.
both alumitech ordered the boat the way I wanted it,
had a engine built the way I wanted.
had custom rigging the way I wanted.
seat package the way I wanted.
prop the way I wanted.
now 2 years later still happy with both boats..
both ride boats one very fast, the other just right too..
very satisfied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
would never-never-never buy a boat built the way a dealer want's......
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby PAINKILLER » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:39 pm

I know from having mine built for me having the metal works the way I wanted everything was good until I tried putting the motor on couldn't get it on the stand the front of the cage didn't fit with the brace on that bolted across the seat stand had to cut it so motor would fit The Only Way A Dealer Will Build For Me is If I'm Standing There With Motor Ready
Psalms 101:7 No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby bonecollector » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Spend whatever is comfortable to you. And call around even when you think you have a good deal, there are a lot of good builders out there that don't have the over head of the big guys and can build them at a better price and still give you exactly what your looking for. Just my opinion
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

Return to “Airboat Talk”