Bug Spray

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Bug Spray

Postby digginfool » Fri May 08, 2015 10:02 am

What, if any, products have you found that helps bug and plant splatter on your blades to keep from sticking? I want to pre-treat my blades before I go out to make clean-up easier because I sure as heck haven't found anything that makes getting that crud off easier. I was thinking about possibly using a silicon-based polish or maybe a product like Pam before I go out. Anybody find anything that works?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Bug Spray

Postby CactusJack » Fri May 08, 2015 10:15 am

You can get helicopter leading edge tape and stick it on the prop. It comes in 2" 3" and 4" (prolly wider as well) It is a clear rubbery tape which helps stop damage to the first few inches of the length of the blades.... when it gets tatty from water spray and seeds and stuff, you peel it off and replace it.... A good wax polish on the exposed prop behind where the tape covers, helps the insect brains and gunk to wash off :salute:

Edit: You can get it from aircraft spruce

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/se ... PE&x=0&y=0
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Fri May 08, 2015 11:53 am

Black Magic after each ride helps a little.

I am not posting this because I don't think you haven't tried it. Just wanted to bump this back up. There must be something better.
Mark 7:9

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby SteveReid » Fri May 08, 2015 12:14 pm

I have tried about everything, I ended up using tire wall cleaner from Auto Zone. I spray it on and let it set for about a minute and wet it for about another minute then brush wash it off and it looks like new. If my boat has set for a few days I soak it before washing the prop cage and rudders. JM2CW

Full Rut
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Full Rut » Fri May 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Hey Diggin i know i guy that uses armoral the tire shine, he says it keeps the blades from fading and the bugs wipe right off
we are going frogging tonight so im going to try it out
Good luck
14ft DB 2ft Rake 3/4 Deck Alum. Riggn 502BB 2.37Rota Sens. Fat Daddy

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Shippee123 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:32 pm

I thought that's why my continental leaks oil, keeps the blades shiny and bugs slide right off ! :lol: :lol:
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri May 08, 2015 12:35 pm

I haven't found anything that really works any better than PAM.

I will add that the cheap-o store brand, Wescott at Save-A-Lot seems to work just a well.
And it's 'Butter Flavored' just in case you opt to recycle those bug guts. :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Fri May 08, 2015 1:08 pm

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

Diggin I have used this in the past for waxing my vehicles and just purchased a bottle when I was at the airport parts store recently.

I use it for lovebug control, but from what I have read, it was developed for aircraft & jet exhaust.

Not sure if it will work on that pretty green prop! :toothy7:
:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GeeLeDouche » Fri May 08, 2015 1:19 pm

I hear Duraskin works well.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Postby diamondback0320 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:28 pm

On my prop & rudders I soak it a few timeswith water while I'm washing rest of boat & then use fabric softtner sheets to wash the bugs & crap off prop & rudders,works pretty good good luck!

blow boat
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby blow boat » Fri May 08, 2015 2:23 pm

mojoe wrote:Black Magic after each ride helps a little.

I am not posting this because I don't think you haven't tried it. Just wanted to bump this back up. There must be something better.

Yeah I use it before running,sure helps!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Fri May 08, 2015 2:27 pm

I found this product called "PLEXUS" makes love bugs and even honey bees easy to clean off the motorcycle windshield. In fact I haven't found anything that is stubborn to remove. Just wipe it down and keep the windshield clean and when ya hit the road nothing sticks. Makes for REALLY easy cleanup. Comes in 7 and 13 ounce spray cans. I use it with a micro-fiber cloth.

Cherck out this link: http://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-Polish/dp/B0045LCU80

Might be available at the better Motorcycle Shops if ya don't like ordering on line.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri May 08, 2015 2:51 pm

GeeLeDouche wrote:I hear Duraskin works well.

Actually, no it doesn't, at least in my experience. It was only marginally better than before I had my blades done the first time.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby SteveReid » Fri May 08, 2015 2:58 pm

To make it slick so they will slide right off you can always try Polly Butter!! :stirpot: :stirpot:

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Sat May 09, 2015 8:31 am

i just leave the prop dirty and wait till it rains. eventually it comes off.

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 444kyle » Sat May 09, 2015 8:37 am

I use Yamashield. Its a clear silicone spray for corrosion for jetskis and outboards. Just about any Yamaha shop has it. I soak my motor down before most rides just to keep it clean and shiny and it works decent on the rudders. I can definitely tell the difference from when I don't have it on. probably just as good as pam. and pam is cheaper though. I like it cause it keeps everything clean looking
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480,10 blade warp drive

BluByU2
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby BluByU2 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I wash with Simple Green and bug sponge to clean the blades, and use either Turtle wax Ice or Macquires spray wax to offer some protection. Pretty easy clean up.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Sat May 09, 2015 9:52 pm

digginfool wrote:What, if any, products have you found that helps bug and plant splatter on your blades to keep from sticking? I want to pre-treat my blades before I go out to make clean-up easier because I sure as heck haven't found anything that makes getting that crud off easier. I was thinking about possibly using a silicon-based polish or maybe a product like Pam before I go out. Anybody find anything that works?

Diggin,

I thought I posted this before but I use recycled gear lube on non essential parts like outer casings of alum or carbon. If you have to change hub or gear lube as often as I do it makes sense to find a use for that rag to prevent bugs sticking. I wouldn't recommend glass or anything you need to see through but used redrive oil is like owning a leaky ac motor with a little effort to spread it forward vs out the back into the environment!

Everglades_Rebel
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Everglades_Rebel » Mon May 11, 2015 11:11 am

Use Yamashield, it's a silicon based spray. It'll keep motor oil off the prop and I'm guessing it'll do the same with bugs.
:rebel: 2013 14x8 Diamondback Ultra Lite Hull, 400HP hopped up SBC, 2.38 Stinger Gear Box, 3 blade Sensenich 80' inch prop :rebel:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security, will deserve neither and lose both"

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Mon May 11, 2015 11:22 am

I used tire shine this weekend and it worked remarkably well. The only issue I had with it is getting it off your hands after application. Didn't want to wash off. I'll use it again, though. I plan to try some of the other products as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to “Airboat Talk”