Lake Washington restrictions are coming!

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Lake Washington restrictions are coming!

Post by Joe » Sun May 17, 2015 11:39 am

Sorry,but no. However I will say if there just cruising most of what you hear is the prop though. But once running dry or hot roding that goes out the window.
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:53 am

This is such crap it comes down to who wants to keep airboating. There are both aircraft and car engine boats that are louder that hell we add mufflers 'Ones that work' or your stupid and just adding weight useless weight to your boat. And some the ones that care even more go to quiet propellers cause they care and have that extra cash they are not cheap. All in all if your boat is loud your screwing yourself and alot of others. If we dont police ourselves they will. All these go green be quiet jerks stick together and win hands down wonder why. :dontknow:

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts » Sun May 17, 2015 12:04 pm

It matters what, when, where and how you drive. And it is simple... If you choose to live near an airport, a train track, a stadium or the swamp you should expect the same noises that were present there long before you were.... My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Hog Guts wrote:It matters what, when, where and how you drive. And it is simple... If you choose to live near an airport, a train track, a stadium or the swamp you should expect the same noises that were present there long before you were.... My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish it was that easy.

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe » Sun May 17, 2015 12:39 pm

I agree when ya move you should expect the same sounds that have been there but that's just not how it works,never has and never will. Trains can't blow there horns before and after certain times,they have had to change the schedules so not to run to late and wake someone up. Small Airports have have closed big ones have had to reroute entire flight paths so no to disturb a certain neighborhood.
You spent a lot of money building your boat. You should have made the exhaust legal when you built it. You have no one to blame but yourself that was your choice.
This will get worse I believe in the coming few years in this area. The 5900 acre lake Lawton is now open and when they flood it there will be issues with bass boaters at the ramp I'm sure. Palm bay has there first section of the st.johns park way open and they county and melbourne are working on it to get it to 192. When that happens there's Gunna be developments spring up along it and they will be close to where we launch and run on this end so I'm sure there will be more compaints. Make your exhaust legal and quiet and quit trying to put a spin on the law or you will be one of the ones that ruin it for everyone.
Do a search it's all here on this site,it was heavily debated when it was written. There's not 1 argument you can come up with that wasn't already discussed and it made no differance.
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by rjfjr » Sun May 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Compromise is for those who can't get it done

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Sun May 17, 2015 1:27 pm

If a person does what they can to be part of the solution, and not the problem, that person will have no guilt when the regulations get out of hand. If everyone did what they can, the regulations won't get out of hand.

Hog Guts, we have the same motor, I run flex to baffles out the transom. A while back the flex rusted and I took it off for that day. Ran it the same as yours. WOW was it louder! If you spend the few hundred bucks to do it, the noise reduction is significant. Might save a ticket.

Everyone has their opinion as to what makes a boat sound bad azz. To me, a boat that sounds like it isn't even trying when it runs the hill is top dawg. An 0-540 with mufflers out the back and a quiet prop patting the gas in the sticky is like Dwayne Douglas Johnson(the rock) speaking softly. Everybody knows who rules the roost, no need to get loud.

Same goes for a well muffled cm with lots of prop. Just sounds like horsepower and wind, no un-necessary racket, bad azz!
Mark 7:9

dave1971
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dave1971 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:14 pm

:salute:
mojoe wrote:If a person does what they can to be part of the solution, and not the problem, that person will have no guilt when the regulations get out of hand. If everyone did what they can, the regulations won't get out of hand.

Hog Guts, we have the same motor, I run flex to baffles out the transom. A while back the flex rusted and I took it off for that day. Ran it the same as yours. WOW was it louder! If you spend the few hundred bucks to do it, the noise reduction is significant. Might save a ticket.

Everyone has their opinion as to what makes a boat sound bad azz. To me, a boat that sounds like it isn't even trying when it runs the hill is top dawg. An 0-540 with mufflers out the back and a quiet prop patting the gas in the sticky is like Dwayne Douglas Johnson(the rock) speaking softly. Everybody knows who rules the roost, no need to get loud.

Same goes for a well muffled cm with lots of prop. Just sounds like horsepower and wind, no un-necessary racket, bad azz!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sun May 17, 2015 11:35 pm

mojoe wrote:If a person does what they can to be part of the solution, and not the problem, that person will have no guilt when the regulations get out of hand. If everyone did what they can, the regulations won't get out of hand.

Very well said, sir. :thumbleft:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Mon May 18, 2015 7:21 am

Well we are our own doom. Some just don't think. In the last two weeks, I experienced twice of airboaters not thinking. One rolled a kayaker on the little Econ the other buzzed people fishing the shore at toso.

We have to be aware and be courteous to everyone else. They out number us and will take our right to use our toys away.

Oh that was an airboater in his kayak you rolled to.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 pm

terrible ted wrote:Well we are our own doom. Some just don't think. In the last two weeks, I experienced twice of airboaters not thinking. One rolled a kayaker on the little Econ the other buzzed people fishing the shore at toso.
We have to be aware and be courteous to everyone else. They out number us and will take our right to use our toys away.
Oh that was an airboater in his kayak you rolled to.
"We have met the enemy, and they are us."
Winnie the Pooh .....

gruprgetr
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by gruprgetr » Tue May 19, 2015 2:08 pm

old story........new faces.......do the research.....go to the meetings.....power in numbers.....handle the TARDS :rebel: :old_glory:
(SWAMP GAS)
IF YOU PISS SOMEONE OFF MEANS THEY HEARD YOU
AIRBOATS DONT SPREAD HYDRILLA

AIRBOATS DONT CAUSE ANIMOSITY- PEOPLE DO!!
PROTECT YOUR FUTURE WEAR A PFD AND VOTE!!
on a dark calm night ya can hear the cryaker scratchin on your poly

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm

If you haven't noticed I never comment or talk about noise and sound levels. I learned not to do this after kicking everyone's ass in the sound competition that was held by FWC and Atlantic university. I was 50% quieter than the 2nd place boat. This was with a 600HP plus motor in a boat that would crack a hundred miles an hour. Even funnier was hearing competitors claim I was cheating so a FWC officer rode with me to verify I maintained the same speed and RPMs while my sound signature was sampled. Me personally I love a quite boat. Because of they way I was treated, bashed and heard so much hatred. Thats when I realized to stay away from the sound issue. Some people gotta step on a rake a dozen or so times before the realize it's better to take another path.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Tue May 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Waterthunder wrote: Some people gotta step on a rake a dozen or so times before the realize it's better to take another path.
I agree. But some just keep stepping on the rake and NEVER learn!

Ego is a very effective barrier for knowledge. The two rarely go hand in hand.
Ego and loud noise on the other hand......
Mark 7:9

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Tue May 19, 2015 4:23 pm

I actually had somebody in my face telling me they would kick my ass if I kept up the quite boat shit. Right there I realized two things one this guy was delusional and 2 some people are ignorant in a way that I'm not capable of comprehending.

It is what it is, and who knows how long we can enjoy airboating until some idiots (from both sides of the isle) ruin it for all of us.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Tue May 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Hog Guts.. That about the truest statement on this 3 page thread !!! THE OPERATOR HAS ALOT TO DO WITH THE NOISE!!! Maybe if folks would face south or north before nailing the throttle, it might help.. Agree with the "BEHIND THE TRANSOM IS THE LOUDEST" statement as well Bruce... Maybe idle a little away from the ramp, maybe behind that concrete wall to the north would help alot.. But nobody on here will admit that they are the issue, so they will keep facing west and STAB THE GAS!!!!!!!!! Anyway, if something doesn't change, RULES are gonna be like a new movie......... "COMING SOON"...
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Tue May 19, 2015 8:44 pm

I likely have the quietest boat around here, and yes I drive it like you are suggesting anywhere near any houses.

When I read ". . . Maybe idle a little away from the ramp, maybe behind that concrete wall to the north would help alot. . ." that made me smile because out here on the river, if we are close enough that I can, I turn 90 degrees and point my prop wash at the tree line before I stab it. That makes a big difference compared to it echoing for a mile down the river. In the water, that's the only time mine is loud (getting on plane), and that is what I do to help alleviate that problem.
And then there are those seem to think the louder their sh|t is, the cooler it sounds. :violent1: :scratch:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Tue May 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Waterthunder wrote:If you haven't noticed I never comment or talk about noise and sound levels. I learned not to do this after kicking everyone's ass in the sound competition that was held by FWC and Atlantic university. I was 50% quieter than the 2nd place boat. This was with a 600HP plus motor in a boat that would crack a hundred miles an hour. Even funnier was hearing competitors claim I was cheating so a FWC officer rode with me to verify I maintained the same speed and RPMs while my sound signature was sampled. Me personally I love a quite boat. Because of they way I was treated, bashed and heard so much hatred. Thats when I realized to stay away from the sound issue. Some people gotta step on a rake a dozen or so times before the realize it's better to take another path.
For those of you that are little new to these pages, the FAA held a Quiet Airboat demonstration a few years back and Dave's 600 hp. boat only blew 77.3 decibels over the testing area, at the same speed as every other boat that was tested. I was there that day at Loughman's, and honestly, when he was making his run through the test course I could barely hear him. He was that quiet.

One result that we learned that day was that a boat is it's loudest when it's accelerating ..... once you get on plane and start peddling the throttle a little the sound level drops significantly, but it's during that acceleration period that quality mufflers make a huge difference in the apparent sound of your rig.

That's why I don't have any sympathy or patience with some guy who shows up with open headers
or just some flex pipe ..... if his boat is loud it's because he likes it that way, and he doesn't give a damn about your rights and mine or the future regulations that will surely follow. JMO

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Wed May 20, 2015 9:13 pm

speaking of this what the best muf for a 540 Lycoming tag on motor was 305 hp at 3200 but we bumped the compression. its almost time for new pipes and mufs and.

BlowBoat24
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BlowBoat24 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:15 pm

Vortex Mufflers are perfectly legal. I keep the box in my boat, it says "Automotive Muffling Device" on it. As for the exhaust exiting the haul, try giving me a hard time with a Deckover. Give me a ticket for both, i'm not gonna argue, but ill make you look like an idiot in court! Car motor boats need big mufflers, as for the rest of us the prop is making all the noise. Like the damn Glow whips, Cops telling me we can't have colored ones at night yet they make us have a bright orange flag during the day. I don't care if it's a pick strobe light, if it can help me see you coming whatever. Easy on the booze while riding fellas and GET OFF OUR ASS's LAW DOGS!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Thu May 21, 2015 3:01 pm

BlowBoat24 wrote:Vortex Mufflers are perfectly legal. I keep the box in my boat, it says "Automotive Muffling Device" on it. As for the exhaust exiting the haul, try giving me a hard time with a Deckover. Give me a ticket for both, i'm not gonna argue, but ill make you look like an idiot in court! Car motor boats need big mufflers, as for the rest of us the prop is making all the noise. Like the damn Glow whips, Cops telling me we can't have colored ones at night yet they make us have a bright orange flag during the day. I don't care if it's a pick strobe light, if it can help me see you coming whatever. Easy on the booze while riding fellas and GET OFF OUR ASS's LAW DOGS!
Don't you get tired sometimes of tryin' to be an outlaw? Seriously, if the freakin' things were mufflers you wouldn't need to carry the box around! You know they're not, I know they're not, and so do most law enforcement officers. They'll probably just let you slide most of the time so that they don't have to deal with it if you ever protested the ticket, but it still won't make you right.

You're part of the problem, dude. We'll have you as one of the people we can all thank when they impose new, tougher sound standards.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Thu May 21, 2015 3:08 pm

Yeah man, it's not about whats legal. Hell, if you use the treacherous US government as your moral compass you are going to come up short in life.

Were advocating quiet for the sake of our passion. It's not that much to give if anything at all.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Thu May 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Olf Art wrote:
BlowBoat24 wrote:Vortex Mufflers are perfectly legal. I keep the box in my boat, it says "Automotive Muffling Device" on it. As for the exhaust exiting the haul, try giving me a hard time with a Deckover. Give me a ticket for both, i'm not gonna argue, but ill make you look like an idiot in court! Car motor boats need big mufflers, as for the rest of us the prop is making all the noise. Like the damn Glow whips, Cops telling me we can't have colored ones at night yet they make us have a bright orange flag during the day. I don't care if it's a pick strobe light, if it can help me see you coming whatever. Easy on the booze while riding fellas and GET OFF OUR ASS's LAW DOGS!
Don't you get tired sometimes of tryin' to be an outlaw? Seriously, if the freakin' things were mufflers you wouldn't need to carry the box around! You know they're not, I know they're not, and so do most law enforcement officers. They'll probably just let you slide most of the time so that they don't have to deal with it if you ever protested the ticket, but it still won't make you right.

You're part of the problem, dude. We'll have you as one of the people we can all thank when they impose new, tougher sound standards.

Believe it or not and im sure you dont because its obvious you are on your soap box and i reapect that but the vortex cones do make a difference in the noise signature while it doesnt quiet it down as much as a 18 inch muffler with a 90 at the transom it does take a lot of the bite out of the exhaust note but im not gonna argue it anymore because its a no win
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Thu May 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Bruce, I worked in the fab shop for Maremont exhaust many years ago ..... I know exactly what the man was talking about and they are not mufflers. They're called 'exhaust attenuators' in the exhaust business and they're added to a system to change the tone (make it more pleasant to the ear) of a system. They have nothing to do with reducing the Db. level. They're not mufflers.

They don't make more power or torque like a quality set of mufflers do. They're just hung on the end of the pipes ( like so many airboaters do) to try to BS 'the man' in case they're ever inspected. It's crap from start to finish. The whole point is to get quiet ...... Thunder has done it and so have I, so please, it pisses me off when folks tell me that it can't be done. An airboat can be spooky quiet (compared to a lot of other water craft) if you want it to be, and the folks who don't care about the future of our tradition and sport are the ones who'll cost all of the rest of us our access.

CRACKERSTYLE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CRACKERSTYLE » Fri May 22, 2015 10:04 pm

John 3:16

Return to “Airboat Talk”