eagle water level

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

eagle water level

Post by rjfjr » Sun May 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Why
are they draining so much water out of flying eagle?
How low will it go?

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: eagle water level

Post by JB550 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:54 pm

It is drained every year in preperation for the rainy season. Hurricane preperation I suppose. If it turns out to be a dry year the eagle as well as potts becomes 4 wheeler country.

SyS3d1t
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SyS3d1t » Tue May 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Its pretty low in Potts now to.
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Board Member

15' Marty Bray, 413ci SBC, 2.3-1 Belt Drive, 80" 2 Blade Sirius Series

"The new breed of hatlights"
http://WWW.LIGHT-HEADED.NET

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:33 pm

I read a study on the watershed and Eagle will be dry if we dont get rain soon. As the Hernando pool drops Flying Eagle drains fast. If I recall correctly its elevation was a factor.

mixedbag
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mixedbag » Wed May 27, 2015 7:28 am

I don't know why they constantly mess with it if there is a flooding problem there, then all of Inverness is already flooded.
RAGE IN A CAGE

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:17 am

mixedbag wrote:I don't know why they constantly mess with it if there is a flooding problem there, then all of Inverness is already flooded.
Airboat control :shock: :shock:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed May 27, 2015 9:50 am

JB550 wrote: Airboat control :shock: :shock:
It is no help or a good thing in regards to anything else, but . . . .
they have acted with somewhere between little and no understanding
long before any countable number of airboats entered the local scene here.
mixedbag wrote:I don't know why they constantly mess with it if there is a flooding problem there, then all of Inverness is already flooded.
This latest million dollar study, may look good to a blind man, but is mostly
bovine feces as is pretends to be historical, going back to cave men, but at the
the same time conveniently and completely overlooks and omits the cause and
effect results of the Tampons pumping hundreds of millions of gallons of water
out of green swamp and the nearby aquifer every year.

When this river/lake system prospered there were fish and sand bottoms everywhere
because nature's natural cycle of rise and flush worked just as intended when the
swamp still overflowed into, and fed the Hillsborough and Withlacoochee Rivers.
Simply put, that no longer happens. It is at a breakeven point where if there is not
an abnormally large amount of rain down south, the water drops. Period.

So then, they try to contain it full time and when it storms there is flooding because
there is no where for it to go. :roll: WTF ??? How freakin' complicated can it be?

That report/study worries about flooding, they should welcome that possibility as
that is an infrequent, part time condition that will pass. Everything being dried up
will be full time and permanent. Wonder what their fix for that will be?

I'm not a tree hugger, just pisses me off that the more they 'fix' it the worse it gets. :banghead:

Just another example of a government agency, justifying their budget and existence
by creating a problem, then paying themselves and their friends (who range from report
writers to contractors) to perpetuate the problem while they pretend to be solving it. :angry5:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

riverrat1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by riverrat1 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:37 am

It's the self appointed swift mud, they are a big bunch of land grabbing ### tarts in Florida.

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:35 am

Well said Deano. :salute:

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat » Wed May 27, 2015 12:48 pm

The CCAA Swimming Hole was named that when water flowed freely between the two islands and it was sand bottom , clear water. Now you couldn't pay me to swim there, stale rotting muck is all that ie there.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by rjfjr » Wed May 27, 2015 9:00 pm

How long have they been messing with it.I have a place on a canal near sleepy hollow that my neighbor says used to be clear as a spring .What did they do to f...k it up and how do we change it

highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Post by highlife57 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:39 am

They should just leave it ALONE .[POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhairball
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Uhairball » Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 am

So how do you stop it??
The problem is there are too many people sucking too much water out of the aquifer.
So here are a few of my ideas...
- stop all watering of lawns. They are doing this in CA now, and people are painting there yards green.
- limit the amount of water farmers can use for irrigation and spraying their crops when it freezes.
- stop building more houses. There is an overload of foreclosed homes sitting empty if people want to move.
I'm sure you can think of more....

And don't forget that the Green Swamp feeds 4 rivers. The Peace and Ocklawa rivers also originate in the swamp.

BTW, the downfall of FL was air conditioning. If there was no AC in buildings, what do you think the population would be?

mixedbag
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mixedbag » Thu May 28, 2015 7:58 am

I was riding the eagle last week and talked to a few people on hot dog island who said they heard
the authorities want to dig a resovoir somewhere out there????? If this is true, it will only make the ridable areas worse when the water level is low. I'll buy into the theory of airboat control. As a Florida native, I've paid plenty of taxes via impact fees etc., As far as water consumption, and preservation, maybe we should have a moritorium and higher impact fees on wanna be floridians, maybe this would help.
Anyway pray for rain. :rebel: :florida:
RAGE IN A CAGE

BluByU2
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by BluByU2 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:25 am

Yes, I wish the government agencies would leave our water alone, but with this administration the EPA has a lot more power to enforce their corrupt agenda which includes the power to arrest you if you violate their policies. They even control the rain water which runs off your roof, and can arrest you if you collect it.

There are too many regulatory agencies which cause more harm than good, and they are destroying our economy! We better clean house this next election or we are toast!

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat » Thu May 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Before SWFMD the water flowed freely thru the chain of lakes. It cleansed itself, and water tables were cyclical from high water to low depending on the season, but we're never as low as in recent years. Pasco county started selling water to Hillsboro county and levels were affected. A system of locks and dams were created to control water levels in chain. What is Potts Preserve was a working ranch that illegally built dikes to drain land for farming and cattle. When the land was finally reclaimed and after long legal battles the dikes were opened and flooded the once drained land. This lowered water tables even more as the locks and controlling system was already in place and did not take into account all this new reclaimed land. Pasco sells 500% more water now than in the beginning . It has been a series of events by an agency that is appointed and not elected that answer to no one. If you want to see something run poorly let the government do it. Look for more changes with Obama's new EPA regulations , 2200 pages of change , 357 pages to describe what the new term of water refers to. The new definition of wetlands will be any depression that holds water for 24hrs will be wetlands and subject to Federal Law. The new reservoir will be part of that change to allow government to have more control.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

99squeakbox
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 99squeakbox » Thu May 28, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm nobody special. But I work for an electric company that happens to service two of the main well fields for Hillsboro county. I can tell you personally that I know they have pretty much stopped pumping from one well field and have cut the other ones production down seriously. The river is down here in central pasco but some of our lakes are looking better now than they have for the last five years. Not saying we don't need allot of improvement with our water mismanagement but hey already its something. We're far from where we need to be but just some insight.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat » Thu May 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Well if flow rates have been reduced at Green Swamp that's a start. Why they close locks and keep Inverness up and allow the Eagle and Potts to dry up is beyond reason . A few years ago at Nichols Springs on River you could cross river and never get waist deep.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

99squeakbox
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 99squeakbox » Fri May 29, 2015 6:11 pm

I can't speak on any wells in green swamp beside I don't know of any but I do know that they almost stopped pumping from the well fields on s.r 52 and 41 and cypress creek well fields in quail hollow which is where most of Hillsborough water was pumped from.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat » Fri May 29, 2015 6:34 pm

The source of the Withlacoochee is Green Swamp , there is a huge well field there. I think 4 wells , when it was under construction the pipe delivered was 4 or 5 foot diameter . This was 30 or 35 years ago.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

dd1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dd1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Has anyone been out there this week? Just wondering if it has any water with the little bit of rain we've had. Thinking about riding out there Saturday but don't want to waste a trip riding 4 wheeler trails.

Return to “Airboat Talk”