Need restaurant recommendations

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Norris
Southern Airboat Member

Need restaurant recommendations

Post by Norris »

Friend of mine is in Orlando with his family for the week. He's looking for an out of way, greasy spoon/ dive/ small town hotspot etc, place to go for good local cooking. The kind of place the locals all know about and go to. Would prefer a place that cooks up some local fish. Anywhere within an hour of Orlando. Post or pm me, thanks for your help, Norris

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Re: Need restaurant recommendations

Post by SteveReid »

Catfish Place Saint Cloud.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

I personally like loughmans, but it may just be the wood panelling, deer and gator mounts, and country fried steak. The jolly gator is also good, and a little closer to orlando. Both are on the St. John's and that is really the draw for either.

For good fresh local seafood, go to port Canaveral. Rustys and millikins both fit the bill.
Mark 7:9

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

not lone cabbage

If seafood I go to port Canaveral. Rusty or Grills. For cat fish I like the Jolly gator. All the grease pit are Latin now when in the mood for Italian Its Giovanni's. German The willow tree in Sanford for pizza subs sweet desert look at Christos in Sanford both on the same street in the old part of town.

Problem is I know how to cook and my wife use to be a chef. really good places to eat are scarce.

There is BOSTONS not the chain of crappy chicken sea food on Aloma ave its new England style sea food all fried whole bellied clams oysters.

pierson skunkape
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by pierson skunkape »

BLACK HAMMOCK....on the gator lake....Jessup that is... they can even take a nice airboat ride from there.... :fishing :florida:

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller »

I would say yes to Lone Cabbage on a Sunday afternoon. Sure the service isn't great but the foods hot and reasonable. Plus you can't beat the atmosphere with a band, bikes, and babes walking around. Plus it's historical.

chadk145
Southern Airboat Member

Post by chadk145 »

Catfish place in St.Cloud
"If you always do what you've always done,You'll always get what you always got."

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

In an area hours across, with at least a thousand restaurants, we have come up with 7 with any local flavor. Just sad. And every time one goes out of business, it will never get replaced with anything other than another indestinguishable from the thousands. Support restaurants with heritage and originality, or there will be none left at all!
Mark 7:9

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller »

No local flavor like Lone Cabbage. If you're in a car go to Normans. I promise you, you won't go wrong. Same owner, service, etc. but Normans is delux. Try the boneless chicken wings. Watch where you park though. There's some parasites around there making money from folks that are careless parking. Like me.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

This area just to commercial anymore for Cracker style food. Now at my house its the Latin Cracker special. if your looking for a good latin restraint I say Quavate on Alafaya Trail.

There is also Dixie Crossroads in Tvill seafood

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Waggs »

"The Catfish Place" is hard to beat for that kind of food. Yes that's the name. There is/was another one in Apopka, just depends on where he's staying as to which is closest.

Ohhhh just thought of one.... "Lee and Ricks" oyster bar. They have seafood too.. though not too positive on the location of origin or freshness, but the atmosphere is cool.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gobblerD »

There is no such place in Orlando. But the outside recommendations are great . I have eaten at all of them and all are good. :thumbleft:

Return to “Airboat Talk”