Where to ride???

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
24Jaybird
Southern Airboat Member

Where to ride???

Post by 24Jaybird » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Hey Everyone,

I just bought an airboat!!! I have been working on this for several years. After moving to south Florida in December I finally can justify owning one. Bought a used 15 x 8 Diamondback with a PCM engine. Rode on Lake Kissimmee last weekend and love it. I am hoping to find a place closer to Jupiter to ride so it isn't such a long pull each time. I plan on Kissimmee and Everglades for "big" rides but want something closer for a quick opportunity the turn the prop and get it wet. Thanks.

Jay

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Where to ride???

Post by flcracker9 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm in Loxahatchee, not too far from you, the closest place to you would be Lake Okeechobee out of Belle Glade , Slims fish camp out to the tree house on Kramer Island. Not too big an area to ride there, but with the water level being as low as it is, it's almost perfect there now. West of Clewiston all the way to Lakeport is the best ride on Okeechobee, but's it's even better when the water is up higher. The hay fields west of Clewiston are awesome, but they are bone dry right now. I'm riding Kissimmee this weekend (actually replying to this from Grape Hammock!), but if you need someone to show you around Belle Glade in the next couple weekends, I'll be more than happy to meet you and show you the area.
Kevin 561-644-8576
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Birddog247 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 pm

If your in Jupiter you can head out west down through Indian town and over towards okketantee before it gets closed down and ride there. Probably only about an hour from you at most.
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

24Jaybird
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 24Jaybird » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed the Kissimmee area and can't wait for the water to come up. I will definitely be spending a lot of time out there. Unfortunately it is a long pull for me (2 hours) and I need a place to ride daily that is closer. I will be riding tomorrow and will try the Belle Glade area. How far in time by boat is it to Clewiston and how far in time by car from Belle Glade? I have been told Okechobee tends to have a lot of stumps and trash and when the water is low it can be an issue damaging the boat. True or not? Thanks.

Jay

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:58 am

The closest Glades riding to you would be Area 2a

You can access from the end of Loxahatchee Rd on the Broward/Palm Beach line

Plug this in to GPS and it will get you there:

15490 Loxahatchee Rd
Parkland, FL

Or you could shoot across 80 and take 27 south to the Stub Canal but I think that would be a longer ride for you.

If you are a pretty novice airboater I wouldn't recommend riding the area right now because the water is so low and the trails are tight.

The Broward Airboat Club is doing a ride in that area on 8/1 and we're hoping the water comes up a good amount before then. Good group of people and a good ride.

Its a chance to ride with people who know the area well.

Other than that, Okeechobee is probably the closest. Most of the areas in the Palm Beach area have been closed to airboats for years.
BCAHCC Member

Return to “Airboat Talk”