ROGG - Another Nail is needed in it's Coffin

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
wilemotorsports
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: ROGG - Another Nail is needed in it's Coffin

Post by wilemotorsports » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:04 pm

that was easy and alot better than going to all the meeting to here all there BS come on all you southern airboat members VOTE

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Post by Scotty1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:30 pm

:rebel: 700 views and only 25 signed what is up people get on board :rebel:

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks Scotty 1

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks Frank
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

giggit
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by giggit » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Signed!! :florida:
14.5 Scorpion O520

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by MarshRider » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Marsh Rider has done the first of at least two stories on this terrible idea.
We will put the link to sign the petition on our website.
Bonnie
FAA Corporate Member
TexasAirboatAssociation 099
NebraskaAirboatAssociation Life Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!
http://www.marshridermagazine.com

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:59 pm

And a Great Thanks to Marsh Rider for their help to inform folks about the stealthful River of Grass Greenway (ROGG) - the worst idea in the Glades since the Jetport airport that caused the controversy that created the Big Cypress Preserve.

Hopefully Mayor Carlos Gimenez of Miami Dade will weigh in on this bad idea like he did on the air show in the Glades which had hardly any habitat impact - ROGG is at least a thousand times (1000X) worse.

Gladesman

Red woman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Red woman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:07 pm

A Big Thank you to Marsh River for helping get the word out about River of Grass Greenway (ROGG). This bad idea that wants to replace the traditional users of the Glades to their "Preferred User" need to be stopped in its tracks.

The petition https://www.change.org/search?q=rogg, needs as many signatures as possible. On the Sierra Club letter Frank was talking about, businesses can sign on too, not just organizations. I just signed on my business. They already got some of the local businesses right on 41 thats gonna be hurt signed on. They need as many organizations and businesses to join in.

josenovo
Southern Airboat Member

Post by josenovo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Very happy to sighn this petition and fight for the rights of many against this unneeded path of everglades destruction ! :proud:

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:27 pm

Marsh Rider's article is out in the Aug/Sept edition and is quite informative about this major mistake called River of Grass Greenway being pushed by some who possibly stand to make millions from it.

Gangreen
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gangreen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:13 am

Signed.

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Another nail has been driven home into ROGG's coffin - Betty Osceola and I this reporter on a tour as we have others and he pretty well hit the nail on the head

http://naplesdailynews.fl.newsmemory.co ... =274d2cf28

Happy Reading - Gladesman

Naples Daily News | Page A03 Thursday, 27 August 2015
Bookmark and Share

Add a path for bicyclists across Glades?

Even green groups oppose $145 million Greenway plan

“I have business in Miami today, but rather than driving my pollution- spewing car, I wish I could pedal my bike over instead,” said no one, ever.

A bike path linking Naples to Miami — premised in part on the questionable promise of a reduction in auto exhaust — has drawn a negative response from an odd coalition of environmental groups and businesses.

The comment period for the latest draft plan for the River of Grass Greenway endedAug. 15.

Beating the deadline was a letter written by the Sierra Club and signed by more than 60 other environmental groups and business along U.S. 41, the route of the proposed path.

“This project is an unnecessary use of public funds while community benefits are minimal and dubious in value,” the groups’ letter states.

Much more than an asphalt strip on the shoulder of the Tamiami Trail, the latest incarnation of theROGG, as it is called, has morphed into a tourist attraction in its own right.

At dozens of points along the way, the path would veer off U.S. 41 and venture into the wilds of the Everglades and Big Cypress through mangroves, hardwood forests and wetlands.

Many such diversions would be made necessary by the narrow bridges that cross some 70 canals and creeks. There simply isn’t enough room for cars and bikes. One diversion would wind 600 feet off the road to go around a piece of property owned

See BATTEN, 6A

OPINION

BRENT BATTEN

BATTEN

from 3Aby the Miccosukee Tribe, which also opposes the project and has vowed not to allow it on its land.

In some cases, the off-road jaunts simply would give bikers and hikers a better view of the wilderness.

“The more windy and curvy, the more popular. The closer to the highway, the less popular,” observed Betty Osceola, a Collier County resident and Miccosukee Tribe member who is among the leaders of the opposition.

All of the forays away from U.S. 41 would require construction of elevated boardwalks or earthen berms. That construction would harm the environment and obstruct views of the Everglades now available from the road, Osceola said.

The ROGG still is in the planning stages.

Many hurdles remain because the route would cross jurisdictions of Collier County, Miami-Dade County, the National Park Service, the Florida Department of Transportation, a host of state and national parks and preserves, tribal land and private property.

268-page plan

But it’s more than just a pipe dream, too. Money and effort have been put into a detailed 268-page plan — www. miamidade.gov/rogg/aboutgreenway. asp — prepared by the Miami-Dade Parks and Recreation Department.

The plan shows potential routes and diagrams of boardwalks and berms that could be used.

The draft plan, released in May, puts the total cost of the 76-mile greenway, if developed under the most expansive scenario, at $145 million. That’s almost double the figure quoted just a few months ago.

The plan touts the economic, social and health benefits supporters predict would flow from the ROGG. It also suggests policies that would accompany it.

It is in those passages that Frank Denninger, a selfdescribed Gladesman from Hialeah, sees problems. The draft discusses potential conflicts between hunters, fishermen and the cyclists and hikers the greenway would attract. New rules — Denninger interprets that to mean more regulations — might be needed, the plan states.

The narrative also spells out the true nature of the ROGG. Beyond being a long bike path where serious cyclists could go on for uninterrupted miles, the ROGG is envisioned in one scenario as a tourist attraction unto itself.

Only about 7 percent of bicycle trips are more than 10 miles, the study says, so an estimated 500,000 people per year would come to the greenway specifically to bike just a part of it.

They’d drive to get there, increasing car traffic. But by partnering with bus companies that would ferry cyclists to parking hubs included in the ROGG plan, the greenway operators could reduce vehicle traffic. Thus the supposed effect of less pollution. Never mind that if the greenway isn’t built, those riders wouldn’t be attracted to the middle of the Evergladesto begin with.

Osceola’s family runs the Buffalo Tiger Airboat attraction in Miami-Dade County. But she isn’t excited about the prospect of more tourists. The impact on the environment and the potential disruption of tribal heritage are more important to tribe members.

“These people have been out here for generations. They understand it will be detrimental to the environment” she said.

400 miles OF TRails nOW

There already are 400 miles of paved and unpaved roads and trails suitable for biking between Shark Valley and Collier Seminole State Park, Osceola said.

“Use what you have, don’t create stuff and destroy more areas.”

Denninger said much of the construction would be in areas the planners classify as “disturbed” because it would be within the road’s 200-foot right of way.

Standing in ankle-deep water surrounded by sawgrass 20 paces from the pavement, Denninger points out that nature rules in that footprint justa few feet from the road’s edge.

“They say it’s disturbed land,” he said. “I leave it up to the eye of the beholder.”

The Sierra Club and its allies, normally no friends of the internal combustion engine, in their letter take the unusual step of advocating for drivers. The ability of cars to stop along U.S. 41 would be hampered by the greenway and its amenities, they say.

“To accommodate ROGG, breakdown lanes would no longer be wide enough for many vehicles and car doors would open much closer to highway traffic,” they wrote.

“The shoulders have always allowed parking for fishing, nature watching, hiking, boating and other uses.

“The project plan favors the interests of nonmotorized recreation over that of highway motorist safety.”

At least a portion of the green community doesn’t see the River of Grass Greenway as being particularly green.

Connect with Brent Batten at brent.batten@naplesnews.com, on Twitter@NDN_BrentBatten and at facebook.com/ndnbrentbatten.
Bookmark and Share

Click here to see this page in the eEdition: Page A03
(Login Required)

Bookmark and Share