python in the glade's

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

python in the glade's

Post by helicsher » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:01 pm

I saw a story about a guy catching a 18' snake on the tram trail at ev r glade's national park
The guy was a snake expert for the park with a group of students
After the snake was killed they said it had nothing in its stomach
I go into the glade's at least twice a week and have never seen one of these snakes I have seen 2 small one's like 3' dead on 41 but I have also seen a 6' dead one on the road in town in davie
The fact is I don't see alot of snake's at all in the glade's of any kind
Not like I used to 20 years ago. If you ride down the Miami canal at night there are so many allagators you could walk on them
I find it funny a snake expert with a group of students walking down a paved road finds a 20' er right out in the open and why no food in the stomach
Do you think this guy was getting ready to lose his job so he made this happen?
"Success Requires No Excuses"

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: python in the glade's

Post by Gary S » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 am

You don't see swamp rabbits on the road either. Just because you don't see them does not mean they are not there. Most are down south in everglades national park. The brilliant overseers that refuse to let hunters find and kill them. The same geniuses that want to close access to fishermen and divers on the reefs that are swarming with lion fish. The only predator the lion fish have is man.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 am

I lived by holiday park for a few years. Was out there 3 or 4 times a week. Only saw one BIG snake. Just for a second while floating eating a sandwich. I thought it was a small gator in the water. When it saw me it swam and I could see it was a snake over 10' long. Disappeared in the sawgrass instantly. Overall you are right though, never saw many snakes there.

I would regularly catch shiners out there. Then drive them in the truck to different canals/water control devices to fish. I saw a lot of snakes walking along those canals.

I always just thought there were just too many places for a snake to hide to see many running a boat out there. Walking along the shore is a different thing all together.
Mark 7:9

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by helicsher » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:10 am

Please don't get me wrong. I don't want any anamals in the glade's or ocean that don't belong, the last thing I want to deal with when I am getting my boat unstuck from the black mud is a 18' snake. I don't wear shoes when I slide. And I for sure could use a new belt and boots
My point is that we all know that when money gets low at the parks the government let's people go. The summer is the slow time out there if they have one.
A guy with a group of students just walking up on a 18' snake really?
And no food in the belly? I would think that a snake that size would eat around the clock in the wild.
Should we be paying for research for the python in the glade's or have a kill everyone you see policy? I think if you see one you can't kill it you have to report it
As a kid I would see a moccasin on every other tree by the water some so big just the size would scare you now hardly any
Although there is alot of alligators there all small compared to the monsters that were everywhere 25 ,30 years ago

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:48 pm

blackwaterairboats wrote:The reason your not seeing them is because there not there. Yes we do have some but not what they make it out to be. That snake was obviously put there. I agree with you on the snake population. When I was a kid they were everywhere now you barely even see any.
Trust me there are many of them down in the Glades - tens of thousands is probably a low estimate but truthfully nobody has a real clue. What I do know is that in the 50's I delivered a newspaper one day with a front page story about a kid catching a 10 footer at Macks Fish Camp and Marshall Jones remembers that too.

We kids back then alot had pet snakes and many of my friends parents bought them boas etc. at the local pet stores for a few bucks. They have probably been being released since then.

Now for a personal story from me who only had seen 1 dead and one a guy caught on SR 29 and I-75 area up until this day when a friend and I spent 90 minutes figuring out how to kill a 14 footer on the Jetport Road in Big Cypress w/o a gun or even a hammer or machete - the photo tells it all. I know of 4 others killed in the vicinity of that road 10 foot or over - one being 16 feet long.

Pythons have been found and killed from one end of the Glades to the other - a reliable source has also told me the indians got one that measured 20 foot.

Like someone here said - just cause U ain't seen'em don't mean they ain't there.

OBTW I was a non-believer at one time but not anymore.

Gladesman
Attachments
Python 1unnamed.jpg

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:44 pm

That's a great picture Frank.

There are a lot of invasive snakes in the Glades. Now we have the Nile Monitor lizard to add to the list. Many have been found close to roads and levees where you'd expect them to have been released. Keep your eyes peeled.

http://www.southernairboat.com/photopos ... on/cat/500
Last edited by glades cat on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:31 am

Yep, cold snaps get some that aren't down deep down in high packed down sawgrass (U no like 10 ft grass with 3-4 feet of dead grass packed down like a hay bale)that retains heat. My belief is that rank grass in the Glades is like the biggest mulch pit in existence.

Not to be pessimistic or defeatist but I Don't know if this problem has a cure.

Gladesman

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:15 am

Well, I guess some of us may just have to disagree on the threat level pythons cause. I admit the only one I've seen up close and personal is the one my friend and I decapitated plus 2 others - one dead and one live in a burlap sack but I am a firm believer there are enough of them out there to be wrecking wildlife populations - but truth be known there are many types of predators taking out animals these days.

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 am

The pythons are there and they arent going away. The ones people find on levees are either freak occurrences or staged pictures (snake was killed elsewhere and brought to the levee/road).

The problem is the snakes are in areas where most people don't have access, but bet your ass they are spreading.

These are extremely elusive animals. You can talk to plenty of lifelong gladesmen who haven't seen many but it doesn't mean they aren't there... lots of hunters are seeing the impact of these things out there.

If you just look at the distribution of reported snakes, they vast majority are in the ENP and south of the loop. And these are only reported snakes, everyone knows lots of people don't talk about things they see out there online

This guy was found by the Lox Road boat ramp and there was one found coiled around a 4ft gator in 2b.

BCAHCC Member

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:57 pm

I have never seen one out in the glades but do keep a machete for just for such occasions. Have been riding more often south of 41 in ENP so there is a chance to see them. Am I correct that if you see one out in the Glades it is illegal to kill it?
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:38 pm

…saw what? 8)
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Hardtail » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:22 pm

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0c0_1324948539

This was at my old house after we moved from there

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Who is going to know if you kill it.
As far as being exaggerated you probably haven't seen one. That doesn't mean you haven't ran one over with the airboat. Like I said earlier the problem is worst down south. And ENP doesn't want anyone to kill them in the park. The head of ENP can remove boats from the bay that provides habitat for the fish but don't kill a Python.

OLD MAN JONES
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by OLD MAN JONES » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:16 pm

You bet your a$$ there are Pythons and many other large constrictors in the Glades. I can tell you there were many old timers, who told stories of snakes as thick as fuel barrels out here.
That said,
I have said it many times and a lot of them were recorded for t.v. or some article.
These snakes pose a huge problem with the balance of the food chain, however the ###'s of loose "wild" constrictors are greatly exaggerated by most of the media.

An adult constrictor needs approximately 5 prey animals per year to maintain growth and a healthy body mass. It is possible for them to eat weekly however, but most will not. Most reported snakes have been found to be nearly emaciated and with little in them.
So... with an estimated 50,000 +++ of these snakes potentially foraging on our furry and feathered friends at a rate of
1/4 million prey animals yearly, lets give em' some good ol' southern justice!!

:salute: :old_glory: :rebel: :florida: :salute:
LIVING FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR EVERGLADES..
WWW.MACKSFISHCAMP.COM A traditional cultural Gladesman property.

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:22 pm

' southern justice!! - Nuff Said :cheers:

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:19 am

I was coming out of Homestead Bayfront Park a couple nights ago about 1:30 in the morning and at the last minute realised what I was about to run over in the road was a python. It was stretched out crossing the road. Some of it was still in the grass but what was stretched out was 3/4 of the way across my lane of the road. I hit it with both wheels of the truck and the boat trailer wheel. I backed up but it was gone.

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by helicsher » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:09 am

20 points for you man!!!!

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:32 am

I'm not a python expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe it's not uncommon for a python to go a month or so between meals, that may explain the empty stomach?
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Return to “Airboat Talk”