Riding in Area 2

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Riding in Area 2

Post by 460 FULLTRACK » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Staring this weekend, you will need a special use permit to go airboating in Area 2. This should be the last year that this is a problem since the wording will be changed before the next hunting season. This was an oversight that was put into the regulations for the area when the road to the sportsman crossover was reopened. In future brochures. the east-west trail will be the southern border of the hunt area. You can go to the FWC website and apply for a permit under special use. We had to do this last year and it was no problem.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Riding in Area 2

Post by digginfool » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Can you provide specific links to a) the requirement that a permit is needed and b) a link to the permit you speak of. I found nothing about limits for 2A (other than no operation north of the East-West trail during gun season) and the special use permit application that I found was rather vague. Thanks.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by 460 FULLTRACK » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:49 pm

You must be looking at an old brochure. If you look at Public access and vehicle, number 4 states that during the seasons, airboats are prohibited in 3A north and area 2 during legal shooting hours. As far as the permit, go to licenses and permits, click on public land use,then click on special use-other. It will then tell you how to get one. Sorry, I don't know how to put up hyperlinks.

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:03 pm

The rule doesn't make sense.... You cannot run and airboat but you can transport hunting equipment by ATV or boat... That contradicts itself

For years this was never enforced
13' 6'' Cotton Mouth 220 GPU 70'' signature series

460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by 460 FULLTRACK » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:20 pm

3 south is different. This rule only applies to area 3A north and area 2.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:17 am

460 FULLTRACK wrote:You must be looking at an old brochure. If you look at Public access and vehicle, number 4 states that during the seasons, airboats are prohibited in 3A north and area 2 during legal shooting hours. As far as the permit, go to licenses and permits, click on public land use,then click on special use-other. It will then tell you how to get one. Sorry, I don't know how to put up hyperlinks.
I must have gotten old info when I did the Google search. The current FWC info is as you say, however, if you browse further down the page, archery and muzzle loading seasons are 3A North only. General gun walk season, which is from October 3 to the 18, is the only time airboats are restricted from area 2. From the FWC Website:

Archery Season:

August 8-30
(Conservation Area 3A North only).

Regulations Unique to Archery Season -

The operation of airboats is prohibited in Conservation Areas 3A North during legal shooting hours.

Muzzleloading Gun Season:

September 5-13
(Conservation Area 3A North only).

Regulations Unique to Muzzleloading Gun Season -

The operation of airboats is prohibited in Conservation Areas 3A North during legal shooting hours.

General Gun-Walk Season:

October 3-18
(Conservation Area 3A North and 2 only).

Regulations Unique to General Gun-Walk Season -

The operation of airboats is prohibited in Conservation Areas 3A North and 2 during legal shooting hours.

General Gun-Vehicle Season:

October 24 through November 8
(Conservation Areas 3A North, 3A South, and 2; and Francis S. Taylor only).

Regulations Unique to General Gun-Vehicle Season -

Only those vehicles authorized by Everglades general gun-vehicle permits may be operated in Conservation Area 3A North during legal shooting hours.
Vehicles (other than all-terrain vehicles) and airboats may be used in Conservation Areas 3A South, 2A, 2B, and Francis S. Taylor. All-terrain vehicles are prohibited.

There are no more restrictions on airboat use beyond November 8.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by 460 FULLTRACK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:29 am

Yes I know that paragraph also. That is what was done last year, getting a permit only for the general gun season. The problem is conflicting rules. If I get a definite answer from FWC, I'll pass it on. Just didn't anyone to have a problem if they get stopped.

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:15 am

A lot of time the officers don't know the exact law so in a case like this its less hassle to just get the free permit and keep it with you.

Too many conflicting stories, just cover your ass and take 1 minute to get the permit.
BCAHCC Member

460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by 460 FULLTRACK » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:30 pm

As of today, FWC is aware of the conflicting wording and are working on a solution. More than likely, and this is just my opinion, the only problem time will be when the general gun season starts, just like last year. As soon as they put out a change, I'll let everyone know. The officers in the Broward division will be briefed as to when airboats are prohibited and the permit they must have to be in the area. Doesn't hurt to apply for one now just to cover yourself.

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:10 am

Thats a shame, last year anyone who applied was issued the permit and we were told it would be that way this year. You had to put "airboating in area 2 south of the East West trail" in the comments but they were all approved.

BCAHCC Member

Return to “Airboat Talk”