Temporary Withlacoochee River restrictions.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Uhairball
Southern Airboat Member

Temporary Withlacoochee River restrictions.

Post by Uhairball »

According to a FWC officer, the Withlacoochee River is IDLE speed only between the SR44 bridge and SR200.
Due to high water. The restriction will be lifted once the water recedes, but that may take a while...
Additionally, the water is as high as I have ever seen since I have lived here. I doubt you could get an airboat
under the bridges, but if you try, be very careful..

floridaraynman
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Temporary Withlacoochee River restrictions.

Post by floridaraynman »

In accordance with FWC Rule 68D-24.109, an “Idle Speed No Wake” zone has been posted for another portion of the Withlacoochee River. To enact the Rule, Citrus County Aquatics Division uses two USGS gauges positioned at Hwy 44 and Holder. The gauge at Holder must reach 6 feet, and this level was reached early this morning.
This segment is Mile Marker 24 to Mile Marker 30 (Camp Izzard Boat Ramp), which covers 6 miles of the Withlacoochee River.

The No Wake zone will be in effect until the river recedes to below 6 feet. FWC officials and the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office will be patrolling for enforcement.

Signs are still posted in the other two sections of the river, Mile Marker 34 to Mile Marker 35A (Turner Camp) and Mile Marker 38 to Mile Marker 41 (Squire Court to Shawnee Trail), and No Wake zone regulations are still in effect for these areas.

Boaters should be aware of these posted signs in these areas of the Withlacoochee River and are asked to follow the “Idle Speed No Wake” zone regulations.

For questions or more information, please contact Citrus County Aquatics at 527-7620 or FWC at 850-617-9547.

Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Tomo »

This ought to be interesting. 2 boats by this morning already both on plane. The water is about 5 inches from cresting my dock. Hard to believe not that long ago it looked like the picture below. I am pretty sure the river crested the sand bags at the spring last night as the water coming down the outflow is now all brown and it flushed a huge pile of water lettuce last night. The LEO's will have their hands full if they are really out patrolling. The river is pretty dangerous with a lot of floating debris. Saw a whole 50 foot tree go by the other day. The current is strong and the trees on the edges are full of wasp nest!! Hate them things......
There is nothing so stupid as an educated man, if you get off the thing that he was educated in.
Will Rogers

Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Tomo »

Here is a picture from this morning.

There is nothing so stupid as an educated man, if you get off the thing that he was educated in.
Will Rogers

Gator Bait
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Gator Bait »

well that sucks I made reservations that are nonrefundable at the camp ground at the sr 44 bridge for the 18 thur the 21 hopefully it will go down by then :rebel:
As I lay Grass in the Glades I pray the slide will go my way, But if the wind takes over instead I Pray the Lord Protect My SLED

rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by rjfjr »

Head south u will be fine u can ride the eagle

Gator Bait
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Gator Bait »

I have rode south but it's just not as nice [ to me anyway ] as riding from the dam to the blue hole were I like to dive that spring as I have for 5 or 6 years now , then on to stump knockers for dinner and a nice evening ride back to the camp ground. I just seen some pictures of stump knockers the water is all the way up to the outside eating deck ,,not looking good for this trip. :rebel:
As I lay Grass in the Glades I pray the slide will go my way, But if the wind takes over instead I Pray the Lord Protect My SLED

Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Tomo »

Gator Bait wrote:I have rode south but it's just not as nice [ to me anyway ] as riding from the dam to the blue hole were I like to dive that spring as I have for 5 or 6 years now , then on to stump knockers for dinner and a nice evening ride back to the camp ground. I just seen some pictures of stump knockers the water is all the way up to the outside eating deck ,,not looking good for this trip. :rebel:

Not to mention that the blue hole or big blue is now a big brown hole. The river is over flowing the man made dike at the spring. The river between SR200 (Dunnellon actually)and Mile marker 30 is just no place for an airboat at this time. Had a group of 5 go by last weekend, they ignored the posted no wake signs and when I stood outside they slowed down just off plane speed that pushes a wall of water 3 feet high. Not many people (all type of boaters) are following the temp. no wake.The problem is those huge wakes play hell with everyone's now submerged docks. The signs are posted every mile so it is hard to say you did not know. Have seen the sheriff and FWC patrolling nearly everyday.

If you come out to the river please be courteous and follow the no wake. It is not easy with the current as fast as it is right now to keep control of your vessel and make no wake at the same time.

Tomo
Will Rogers

Gator Bait
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Gator Bait »

THANKS Tomo
I will check with you later in the week , but it looks like you have been getting more rain :( so I doubt anything is going to change :rebel:

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Been on it the last few nights...no getting under the 44 bridge. Still idle zone. Pretty shitty riding now

Gator Bait
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Gator Bait »

Tony480 or Tomo has anything change on the river it looks like were committed to coming up next weekend do you think an airboat will be able to get under the bridge at sr 44 and if not can you still put in at the old truner river fish camp [ those were the nicest people I have ever meet sure do miss Charlie]{ and rick and his wife } or any where else north of SR44 ..I was told we could ride the eagle but I'm not sure were that is at , I have rode from the dam just south of 44 all the way up to the next bridge not sure were that was but we turned around there and rode back to the campground at SR 44
I was really looking forward to hanging out at the big blue
:rebel:

Uhairball
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Uhairball »

River still high. No getting under the bridge at RT44. But you can put in at the ramp at RT44 and ride south to the eagle.
You probably should look at google maps ahead of time, and take a gps. Restrictions still in place from RT44 to SR200,
which wouldn't affect going to the eagle (if you put in at Turner Fish Camp, you would be idle speed both directions).

Gator Bait
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Gator Bait »

Thanks for the update, I think I will look at the Google maps that's a good idea Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

captrndy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by captrndy »

I wonder how high the water is by the outfall canal? Gator bait there is a boat ramp off a side road off SR 200. If you put in there you would drive by stump knockers on your boat . They have signs right by the bridge at SR200 for the ramp. Not sure how high the water is right there to be able to get under that bridge. If you put in there and can make it under that bridge you would have access to big blue.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

Water is very high . Stumpknockers' walkway is underwater going to their outside deck. The levie at mouth of outfall is almost underwater maybe 4' showing. Riding should be in the Eagle or Potts away from homes. Right now they have enough to deal with.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

That is a fact. :salute: The water on the river is the highest it has
been since the hurricanes came back to back to back in '04.

Not to say or imply that it has crested, but still . . . the Wysong Dam has been
open/down for a good while and today was the first day it has not continued to
rise. That could easily change, but hoping for the same results tomorrow.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Tomo »

Deano wrote:That is a fact. :salute: The water on the river is the highest it has
been since the hurricanes came back to back to back in '04.

Not to say or imply that it has crested, but still . . . the Wysong Dam has been
open/down for a good while and today was the first day it has not continued to
rise. That could easily change, but hoping for the same results tomorrow.
Hey Deano
I thought I would do some reading up on the effects of a strong El Nino on rainfall in Florida and unfortunately it looks like we could be in for increased rain for this winter. I am becoming concerned that this water is going to stick around for awhile. Here is a scan of a newspaper article back in 98 which was one of the worst El Nino years in recent history. Lets hope this is not what we are in for this fall/winter. This is my house back in 1998. There were 2 crest in 1998 at around 10.5 feet, once in January and again in March. http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... type=stage

Lets hope it is not another one of those years :shock:

Will Rogers

Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Tomo »

Here is an overhead view

Will Rogers

Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Tomo »

Holder gauge is down to 5.96 this morning. River is starting to drop pretty good and these dryer days to come will help a lot. Anybody been to the 44 bridge? Curious how much clearance is there at the moment.

Tomo

floridaraynman wrote:In accordance with FWC Rule 68D-24.109, an “Idle Speed No Wake” zone has been posted for another portion of the Withlacoochee River. To enact the Rule, Citrus County Aquatics Division uses two USGS gauges positioned at Hwy 44 and Holder. The gauge at Holder must reach 6 feet, and this level was reached early this morning.
This segment is Mile Marker 24 to Mile Marker 30 (Camp Izzard Boat Ramp), which covers 6 miles of the Withlacoochee River.

The No Wake zone will be in effect until the river recedes to below 6 feet. FWC officials and the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office will be patrolling for enforcement.

Signs are still posted in the other two sections of the river, Mile Marker 34 to Mile Marker 35A (Turner Camp) and Mile Marker 38 to Mile Marker 41 (Squire Court to Shawnee Trail), and No Wake zone regulations are still in effect for these areas.

Boaters should be aware of these posted signs in these areas of the Withlacoochee River and are asked to follow the “Idle Speed No Wake” zone regulations.

For questions or more information, please contact Citrus County Aquatics at 527-7620 or FWC at 850-617-9547.
Will Rogers

Uhairball
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Uhairball »

According to the local TV news show, ALL idle speed restrictions are lifted. So let 'er rip, tater chip!
The water is still higher than normal, so be careful under the bridges..

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Can you get under 44 yet?

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Tony, I can't. It is surprising to me that they lifted the restrictions this soon. I don't need quite 8', but probably near that. Some of the smaller boats are, but most are not, judging by lack of traffic on the river. I'll report back with clearance whenever I get up there, which should be in the next few days.

The water up near the 44 bridge is still higher than it has been since the '04 hurricanes. It has gone down about 10 inches in about the last two and half weeks, but is still about a foot higher than the more recently high, high water mark.

I suspect that the water has gone down more down stream by Tomo because they are holding water in the lakes, so there is not as much dumping into the river down by 200. The bridge / lock on Turner Camp road was showing about 7' 3" clearance yesterday. The water on the Hernando side was a fat foot lower.
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Tony480 wrote:Can you get under 44 yet?
I was told they put the damn back up right around the time I last posted (which I hadn't realized), but I can confirm that the water has been dropping at a discernible rate for about the last week. It is still high, but not so much so that it remains a big issue.

As of today, there is just a little better than eight feet where I checked it near center. Should be enough room for anybody to get under there unless they have a really big (read that TALL) boat.

At this rate, I still won't be running under there on a plane for a couple of weeks, but I don't think it's an issue that needs to be planned around anymore.
- Carl Sagan

highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Post by highlife57 »

I don't understand why they don't leave the water alone.[POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE] the water by my place has dropped 1 foot in the last week... That's BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!![POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE][POUTING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Airboat Talk”