21 injured in SW Dade airboat crash

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
swampfever
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 21 injured in SW Dade airboat crash

Post by swampfever » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:33 am

Not even I believe that and I am a cynical bstrd...
Do you have any idea of the crap storm that would follow if Management knowingly hired non licensed Captains. I am not buying it.
They would already be shut down and Insurance Company would have already pulled coverage.

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TheElevatorGuy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:39 am

swampfever wrote:Not even I believe that and I am a cynical bstrd...
Do you have any idea of the crap storm that would follow if Management knowingly hired non licensed Captains. I am not buying it.
They would already be shut down and Insurance Company would have already pulled coverage.

Well how about this..........I personally used to be one of those boat drivers.......did it on the weekends.........I have never had a captains license and or any formal training to operate a vessel for hire........so what else is it going to take to make a cynical bastard believe me?

rdb
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rdb » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:20 am

Was this on an inland lake? If so coast guard license may not be needed.

swampfever
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swampfever » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:27 pm

TheElevatorGuy wrote:
swampfever wrote:Not even I believe that and I am a cynical bstrd...

Well how about this..........I personally used to be one of those boat drivers.......did it on the weekends.........I have never had a captains license and or any formal training to operate a vessel for hire........so what else is it going to take to make a cynical bastard believe me?
I think you should expect phone calls ! To be clear.. Is the Tour Company/owner the same as when you were there? I would not want to throw a company under the bus that has been operating as they should. Either way they are in for a rough ride..
Anyhow... Just glad no one was seriously injured.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Watched the vid 3 times and honestly the captain with the passenger that took the vid should seek a career washing dishes at the state pen and the receiving tour boat captain should be by his side for a few months from being so left in a trail. Any oncoming rec boat from the opposite direction would probably show all tourist how we do poly or get run into the sticks from both so called captains! Lucky it was not a t bone situation of tour boats. I Guess we will find out what certification and thought is involve even taking on passengers for hire? MAYBE!

Cutler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cutler » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:45 am

i also know you don't have to be a licensed captain, I don't know however if they were or not, and I have a pretty good source that the one of the boats had a female captain.i think the boat to the left

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:41 am

In my opinion,, it appeared to me that the port side boat had substantial room and more than adequate time to maneuver compared to starboard side boat.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:59 am

Whether it be sports, racing or recreation - it astonishes me how simple and straight forward rules are until you actually throw human interaction in the mix :scratch:
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

PokerJoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PokerJoe » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Another video has been released by some people documenting the crash at Gator Park. It shows the crash from the other boat.

http://www.averagejoetube.com/#!lifeofavgjoe/c11zy

PokerJoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PokerJoe » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:20 pm

The boat the News video came from had the female captain

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Un navigatable waters. No coast Guards. no rules/no regulations. Any one that can start an air boat can be hired as an operator. If they can wright "please help and god bless you" and have a card board piece of paper, they will be hired. I now operate tour boats for a local tour company and see people that cannot operate a wheel barrow operating boats with innocent patrons on board. (elderly and new born). You folks that have all the legitimate papers do not have a clue as to what goes on in the real world. JMO. I had news of the wreck within minuits of the collision through the grape vine and knew who was involved. Those people like to play games and for once, it went wrong. Both operators error. JMO
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:31 pm

newoldglory wrote:Un navigatable waters. No coast Guards. no rules/no regulations. Any one that can start an air boat can be hired as an operator. If they can wright "please help and god bless you" and have a card board piece of paper, they will be hired. I now operate tour boats for a local tour company and see people that cannot operate a wheel barrow operating boats with innocent patrons on board. (elderly and new born). You folks that have all the legitimate papers do not have a clue as to what goes on in the real world. JMO. I had news of the wreck within minuits of the collision through the grape vine and knew who was involved. Those people like to play games and for once, it went wrong. Both operators error. JMO
I was not sure if any part of the glades are considered navigable waters or not. Even though they are not as you explained, I would expect the insurance company's to require liscenced captains to better their own chances for safe operations. Too bad those drivers act as you say.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:20 pm

newoldglory wrote:Un navigatable waters. No coast Guards. no rules/no regulations. Any one that can start an air boat can be hired as an operator. If they can wright "please help and god bless you" and have a card board piece of paper, they will be hired. I now operate tour boats for a local tour company and see people that cannot operate a wheel barrow operating boats with innocent patrons on board. (elderly and new born). You folks that have all the legitimate papers do not have a clue as to what goes on in the real world. JMO. I had news of the wreck within minuits of the collision through the grape vine and knew who was involved. Those people like to play games and for once, it went wrong. Both operators error. JMO
EXACTLY!
I never finish anyth,,,.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:20 pm

These "games" have been going on for years and I do not believe that the management did not know. It's in the management. The rules and regulations are not in black and white and are a grey area so that the head captain and other "management" can "desipher" the rules at their discretion to suit their immediate needs for a situation. The captains that have a "well tanned nose" will get a slap on the knuckle and the ones that stand up for what is wright will get a suspension. It's hard for a captain to get fired, they just need to be "controlled". On top of that, who want's to have to pay unemployment over a "grey" area? Some company's care more than others but the bottom line is that all "will" survive.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:40 pm

If my 13 year old daughter or my wife were piloting either of them airboats that accident would have never happened.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Grady
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Grady » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:15 pm

If you are for hire, means paid patrons on a sight-seeing tour, guided hunt/fishing then you are required to get at least a coast guard license. Coast guard is cracking down big time on the lake... Just a heads up,...

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:11 am

Grady wrote:If you are for hire, means paid patrons on a sight-seeing tour, guided hunt/fishing then you are required to get at least a coast guard license. Coast guard is cracking down big time on the lake... Just a heads up,...
That is true if operating on navigable waterways. Newoldglory mentioned that the glades are considered non navigable, I trust he would know. There are many bodies of water that are considered non navigable whereas a CG license is not required by the state. That said I suggested that business insurance carriers should require them to help protect their assets. But I don't know if they do or not.

Return to “Airboat Talk”