Don Davis will build me a boat

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Don Davis will build me a boat

Post by newoldglory » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:09 pm

I texted Don a picture/sketch of the boat that I want. He called me and said that if he built a boat that looked like the drawing, it would not float. :lol: :lol: :lol: I had to convince him that it was only a sketch, and it was up to him to make it float. :roll: I went down yesterday and went over the plan with him. Since it was not the every day boat and bigger than he normally builds, he was a little warry about the modifications but I assured him that this will be the best boat he ever built (as he usually does). It's all about metal, rivets, bolts and a true craftsman at the helm. His son is an artist with metal and I'm sure that he will be pleased with this challenge. It's a 7'8"x16' open hull with walk boards and front deck. Operator, console and passenger up top. A 3 seater in the middle and a removable 2 seat forward. (for cargo or wheel chair). Powered by an LS6, carbureted 550 engine and probably an ox box gear train. I don't know the prop yet. 40 gal. fuel tank, special reinforcement and mounting (front and rear) for a winch. Also pilot tubes on the rear for anchor pipes. (to be driven down in need). These will be used to drive 2" pipes through to anchor the boat for winching. Also, steps in the rake with a portal for the winch to be mounted up front. A little extra fabrication but very little extra weight. It will have a eye tab below the winch on the rear for 2 blocking, or (if necessary) I can run the cable under the boat to the front eyelet to help keep the nose down. The ball is now in Don's court and I will go down as needed to make modifications as he progresses. I have nothing to lose because "Gary S" told me that if I was not totally satisfied with the build, he would give me twice the money that I have invested. :lol: :lol: :lol: (it's all you're fault Gary, you turned me on to him). Tourist season is coming up soon so I could possibly pay for it in one season. :cheers:

:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Don Davis will build me a boat

Post by digginfool » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see it!
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:00 am

Sounds like a very purpose built design Gerald!

Might I convince you to also consider a mounting pod that would enable you to put a small type davit arm in place to assist you with loading or unloading your cargo or any other heavy item. Gotta think down the road, none of us are getting any younger. It should not weigh much and could really be helpful with all the items you haul.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:31 am

I don't think you will want the money. You might want to buy some more toothpaste to clean the bugs out of your teeth though. One thing to keep in mind is the bigger they are the harder they'er stuck.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:48 am

Hopefully we'll get to see pics as it progresses??? Sounds like something the BSO should have!
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:40 am

With 550 HP I don't think you will have to worry about getting stuck or weight. It will weigh less than mine and you have operated mine. Getting the right setup with your gearbox and prop is key.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:23 pm

You might want to consider something like what Skip Olson puts on his Alaska rigs for loading and unloading

They look pretty light and the arm folds down

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:12 pm

sounds like a nice boat Gerald looking forward to seeing the build. I was over at Don's yesterday picking up my current old boat and dreaming of my new boat. I may not be as close to putting it on paper yet but full of (ideas lol). I think Gary knows where he is placing his bets. I would also figure Don and Brad will build a hull and rigging you will be very pleased with. Congrats on the new build :cheers: :cheers: :proud: :proud: :old_glory:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:44 pm

John C wrote:You might want to consider something like what Skip Olson puts on his Alaska rigs for loading and unloading

Holly crap!!!!!!!!!! My concern is that there are no elephants in this part of the country for me to harvest. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:48 pm

newoldglory wrote:
John C wrote:You might want to consider something like what Skip Olson puts on his Alaska rigs for loading and unloading

Holly crap!!!!!!!!!! My concern is that there are no elephants in this part of the country for me to harvest. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yea but you might get a big girl friend :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doug

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:20 pm

Sounds like a nice boat Gerald! I like your choice of powerplant, you won't be disapointed with that. I like your idea for a anchor and winch, how will you drive the anchors in? Maybe some nice sharp points to dig into the rock :dontknow: ...should be a hell-of-a boat for your rescue missions :salute:
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

Doug Murdock
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Doug Murdock » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:48 pm

Lemme 'splain something to ya. little Don is the baddest ass airboat guy that ever walked. Kaboom Fenner is riding his coat tail. Fenners dad, papa Jan, went to the grave taking more secrets than either one of them. Pops was bad ass. Great friend of mine.
You got a Bushwacker-Davis. You got a real slider.Accept no imitations.
Tell Don I said Heya ! I've known him 31 years.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:36 am

Kaboom Fenner??? Do we have a story to go with this?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:48 am

Yes I do, as a young apprentice of Don's at 16 and working at Bushwacker Airboats 12264 sw 128th st I had just completed a tune up on a customers O-540 as well as an oil change, now mind you the tabletop I used for parts was a piece of plywood on top of a 50 gallon drum trash can, well Don had just finished making a handful of frog light shells and wanted them painted black and then bake the paint with a torch, well as I finished the last baking of a shell the long soft flame of the torch went across a gap of the tabletop and the drum in which laquer thinner soaked rags and masking paper had been sitting unannounced to me by Larry's paint job a previous day or 2 before caused the plywood with spark plugs, various tools and yes, freshly painted and baked froglight shells to violently accelerate skyward then rain down all around me with my ears ringing from the explosion and my eye lashes, brows and hair singed, I became the one and only Johnny Kaboom.

The next sound I heard was the office door and cowboy boots rushing to see if everybody was ok by Don and then like the cartoons the stacks of heads peering around the shop door opening to see what the boom was. Some still call me by that name.
I never finish anyth,,,.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:54 am

And yes Gerald, Don and Brad will make you the finest Airboat that you will ever ride, bar none!
I never finish anyth,,,.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:11 am

And I'm sure Don never said a word about the small fire in his shop.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:13 pm

It snuffed out right away.
I never finish anyth,,,.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:54 am

Maybe now I can do the "Paul Harvey's---The rest of the story". It seems that when you go to do something, you have to fix something else first, and then something ELSE first. As I attempted to load a pic of my boat hull in Don's shop, I kept getting a notice about a server error. I had replaced my miFi and found a stuck key on my comp, then my daughter found that the power cord to the external drive was bad. I finally seeked the help of a true professional and contacted Rick. He had me send a pic of the hull and one of the screen result. He was able to get the pic in the gallery but it was married to a pic of a damaged prop that I had never seen. He sent the pic of the prop "out there somewhere" and my hull pic is now in the gallery. Tonight, I will try again to load that pic here. Rick has no idea as to what happened but apparently me and someone else are on the same wave link. Stranger things have happened. :scratch:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:24 am

Well, I know I wasn't the only one who was curious . . .
Between very little and no question that you'll be pleased with the end result. 8)
My money would have to be on Gary's analogy with the toothpaste.

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:38 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks guys for the pics. One more failure on my end and I would have to go to some serious drinking. Thanks to Rick, at least one more hair has been left on my head. I have lost a lot of hair trying not to beat the keys out of another computer. I can grow hair back cheaper than I can replace a computer. Hopefully my computer problems are over for a spell and I will be able to contribute a little more on my boat build. Gary S has said that he may be able to get by Don's shop to take a pic from time to time because he lives very close by. :toothy7:

RonE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RonE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:41 pm

You are very lucky that you are using Don Davis and not Jeff Love and Affliction Airboats. Visible progress since your first post.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:18 am

Was there a couple days ago, runners are in and the transom brackets are in. don't remember if the bulkhead is in. Brad was building the rudders. Don said all the hard stuff is done.
Would have taken pictures but my phone would not come on. I am new to smart phones but no one could get it to come on. Not even the young guy that works for Don. Went straight to ATT to see what was the problem was ant the stupid phone came on with no problems. And it hasn't had a problem since.
Don said motor and drive is ordered, Boat is looking good.

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:07 am

Gary, sounds like your phone is possessed it's that time of year :dontknow: unless your phone has been hanging around Geralds computer :dontknow:
Gerald your boat is going to be sweeeet :salute:
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:56 pm

I just sent Don a picture of Skip Olsen's boat and said that I would like to have a place for a boom up front myself. It would be in the same place as the front winch, so that should not be a problem. I reminded him that he is the best in the business so that should get me some points. :slap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :stirpot:

Return to “Airboat Talk”