A sad turn of events

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

A sad turn of events

Post by emmitt Kelly »

1999 Diamondback 502 marine Power
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: A sad turn of events

Post by Olf Art »

Emmitt, I don't know quite know where to begin. As AAOF president Keith Price said, this is devastating. It's a complete disregard for the Gladesmen culture and of the history of our State.

My first reaction is a little measured however. This may be the Fed 'testing the water' to see how much 'redneck' resistance they could expect if they try to implement this ....... in which case cool heads will prevail. 10-4?

Two questions that immediately come to mind are:
Will the FFWC and the Miccosukee still be allowed to patrol the Glades in airboats?
Same for sheriffs, and if so are they not subject to State and Federal law also?

Given that airboats are a part of our Heritage, what specifically does the Fed find so objectionable about them now? If this turns out to be true, there is much more to this story than meets the eye.
Last edited by Olf Art on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid »

The bunch you have in Washing D C right now aren't done yet. Get ready to spread your cheeks and bend over. Obama can do anything he wants to do. Nuff said!!

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AceNtheHole »

Sad turn of events. True! Maybe time to buy stock in Vaseline!

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger »

Can someone show a map of the glades and indicate the area that will be affected. I have run my boat in many popular parts of the state but have yet to have the privilege of the glades experience.

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by emmitt Kelly »

Olf Art wrote:Emmitt, I don't know quite know where to begin. As AAOF president Keith Price said, this is devastating. It's a complete disregard for the Gladesmen culture and of the history of our State.

My first reaction is a little measured however. This may be the Fed 'testing the water' to see how much 'redneck' resistance they could expect if they try to implement this ....... in which case cool heads will prevail. 10-4?

Two questions that immediately come to mind are:
Will the FFWC and the Miccosukee still be allowed to patrol the Glades in airboats?
Same for sheriffs, and if so are they not subject to State and Federal law also?

Given that airboats are a part of our Heritage, what specifically does the Fed find so objectionable about them now? If this turns out to be true, there is much more to this story than meets the eye.

Another example how this noble experiment should not repeat itself..it has developed into a runaway freight train.
1999 Diamondback 502 marine Power
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

This is one of the reasons we have to vote in TRUMP like it or not you will not ever again be able to use your airboat sooner then you think. Keep voting for the nice guy or democrat and go ahead and plant flowers in your hull. America wake the f up. Oh yeah and fing quiet your airboat down it may just buy us some time. :slap:

clamped
Southern Airboat Member

Post by clamped »

Air ranger you need to make the drive and ride the grass, it's one of the best places to slide out there

rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by rjfjr »

I'm sickend by my government how do we stop it . I have actually thought about leaving this country

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad »

AirRanger wrote:Can someone show a map of the glades and indicate the area that will be affected. I have run my boat in many popular parts of the state but have yet to have the privilege of the glades experience.
I believe the area is south of 41 and east of 40 mile bend. Some of the best riding IMO
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

rotator75
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rotator75 »

jeepinocala1111 wrote:This is one of the reasons we have to vote in TRUMP like it or not you will not ever again be able to use your airboat sooner then you think. Keep voting for the nice guy or democrat and go ahead and plant flowers in your hull. America wake the f up. Oh yeah and fing quiet your airboat down it may just buy us some time. :slap:
I second this motion and so should all of you guys,there is no way this country can handle Hillary because that means 8 more brutal years of Bam Bams Crap come on people get out and vote for Trump to turn this USA around!

airboat_Mike
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by airboat_Mike »

This situation with the airboats everglades ban has my blood boiling. What is gonna be next!!! I just feel that there has to be some way to fight this. I am so tired of all the things we love being taken away from US and we have no say in the matter. I am so tired of everything we do bothers or offends someone.. especially those with no write to be here in this country. What can we do??? Airboating means more to me than anything I do. I am so afraid it will progress through the state and then on to others. The Everglades without airboats is just completely wrong. It is truly a way of life that you could never understand unless you were raised this way.
What write do they have to take Florida's heritage away... I am not yet a Florida resident but a fellow airboater and visit frequently with a love for the state and the natural resources it offers and some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. It is my second home away from home.
airboat_mike

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Our governor can actually override any Federal action if he has the support of our State Legislature.
The two most powerful entities in any State are actually it's Governor and it's Sheriffs. Both answer only to the voters who elected them, but it takes courage to stand firm against the Fed.

I'm still not convinced that this threat is legitimate, but it should at least be taken as a warning shot by all of us who care about the outcome. It's high time to get involved, y'all. The wolf may be at the door.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

airboat_Mike
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by airboat_Mike »

I am more than willing to help in some way if I can. I wish I wasn't so far away from this situation which makes it difficult. I will do whatever I can to help if anyone has any suggestions.
airboat_mike

bpd315
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by bpd315 »

What's next? The Kissimmee chain. They already refer to it as the "upper Everglades."

I hope I'm wrong.
Red
Fort Meade, Florida.

13' Cottonmouth with a GPU.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Sadly this has been in the process for years, they started with the buggy and airboaters in the big cypress years ago down south of the loop road, steadily closing areas to any motorized access except for designated trails, the have done the same in the corndance and stairstep units, the bottom line is that they want no human access to any of the park and management areas and they are gaining ground.
Ask anybody who hunted these areas 12/14 years ago and see how many trucks and trailers for airboats and buggy's lined the landings during hunting season and how many are at the landings now, 0, yes (0)!
I never finish anyth,,,.

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad »

so is there nothing that can be done?
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Not saying that but what can be done? Many gladesmem have succumbed to the rules and regulations of the NPS to where they got their way, and they will continue to do so, they want no hunting access so people have to eat store bought food and koolaid, and no self sufficient off grid living as generations in the past did.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

Its not just the Glades, its all land, slowly we will become slaves again, begging for handouts, and if you kill one of the kings animals to eat, you will be beheaded, history repeats itself, we left the kingdoms and gave the people control to slowly over time give it all back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

Very true, and its not just the Glades and lands. There doing the same thing with the waters off the coast. More and more State and Federal regulations and closures of fishing areas are making it tough to even go out and catch enough to eat and put some fish fillets in the freezer. It doesn't hardly even pay to go fishing any more. It seems the only fish you can buy at the store is farm raised and/or caught in another country and shipped here. in Florida anyway.

Return to “Airboat Talk”